• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Fake news!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Fake news!
      Attack, attack, attack you really have TDS don't you!!
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        After suspecting it for the last 3 years, this year has convinced me that when it comes to common sense our country is seriously lagging behind most other countries.
        I wonder how much our freedom has to do with this?

And I am not suggesting we have less freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I wonder how much our freedom has to do with this?

And I am not suggesting we have less freedom.
          are you suggesting you have more?
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            More than other countries? Yes.

Comment

what could be more free than letting an 18 year old show up with a gun at a protest ? That is freedom !
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

More than other countries? Yes.
                how so? I've traveled around a fair bit & don't see any significant differences.

(I'm not talking about comparing to North Korea or Saudi Arabia, but compared with most western style democracies)
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

how so? I've traveled around a fair bit & don't see any significant differences.

(I'm not talking about comparing to North Korea or Saudi Arabia, but compared with most western style democracies)
                  umm... now you are putting more rules on it.

I am just curious. Who do you think has as much freedom as we do?

In your opinion do any of those "western style" countries have more freedom?

Comment

None, though to TranaGreg's point, many of the differences may not be considered significant to some people. The EU and UK both have much more speech restrictions than we do, greater limitations in bearing arms, greater capability to restrict travel, and much greater protection of personal privacy rights. I'll note that many would consider greater restrictions on bearing arms and greater protection of personal privacy to be net positives.

Legally, I'd posit that Japan and Taiwan are legally "freer" than either the UK or EU, but cultural differences provide much greater restrictions than legal ones do.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

In living people's day to day lives, as I said, no significant differences. Certainly not enough for it to be a factor in madducks question which triggered this, several posts above (and which was the context for my question).

To chance's points, any speech restrictions don't impact 99.9% of people on a typical day, the capacity to restrict travel exists everywhere - and yes, I'd suggest that the restrictions on bearing arms in most countries results in greater freedoms for the vast majority of citizens.

Comment

but that's seems obvious doesn't it? ... surely you're not suggesting that the greater freedoms that the US has relative to North Korea or Saudi Arabia have anything to do with why your country may be lagging behind most countries in common sense? (again, in the context of madducks question)

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          None, though to TranaGreg's point, many of the differences may not be considered significant to some people. The EU and UK both have much more speech restrictions than we do, greater limitations in bearing arms, greater capability to restrict travel, and much greater protection of personal privacy rights. I'll note that many would consider greater restrictions on bearing arms and greater protection of personal privacy to be net positives.

Legally, I'd posit that Japan and Taiwan are legally "freer" than either the UK or EU, but cultural differences provide much greater restrictions than legal ones do.
                          Thank you Chance.

I forget the need to define terms in some of these discussions.

Comment

In living people's day to day lives, as I said, no significant differences. Certainly not enough for it to be a factor in madducks question which triggered this, several posts above (and which was the context for my question).

To chance's points, any speech restrictions don't impact 99.9% of people on a typical day, the capacity to restrict travel exists everywhere - and yes, I'd suggest that the restrictions on bearing arms in most countries results in greater freedoms for the vast majority of citizens.
                            Ok...

Comment

but that's seems obvious doesn't it? ... surely you're not suggesting that the greater freedoms that the US has relative to North Korea or Saudi Arabia have anything to do with why your country may be lagging behind most countries in common sense? (again, in the context of madducks question)
                              No. I am suggesting that we have the most freedom as a whole. Some will abuse that freedom to exercise their right to practice their lack of common sense and elevate to an art form.

I would suggest that North Korean's that have a lack of common sense would not do as much damage with it as they do not have the freedom to exercise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

We have less and less freedom everyday.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X