Page 644 of 671 FirstFirst ... 144544594634642643644645646654 ... LastLast
Results 6,431 to 6,440 of 6707

Thread: President Donald Trump

How about this.... we get bond funding to build something, then rather than paying the bonds off, we do another bond to raise funds to pay the old bond off, thus moving the debt.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Quote Originally Posted by heyelander View Post
    or...

California's budget for fiscal year 2018 had a nine billion dollar surplus.
    coincidentally, I actually talked with a brilliant economics expert today, and CA came up.

he said that they had built an economic model that was particularly volcanic.

way over my head, but he basically said that CA will be well ahead of the curve in good times - and well behind in bad, so a correction is inevitable.

this wasn't a partisan point. I think it was that CA has so much revenue determined by its high state tax rate that in good times, some $3B cashout by an enterepeneur can add $500M to the Treasury just like that, and it's all good.

but when the economy slows, those windfalls disappear.

this is a guy who worked with Michael Lewis on The Big Short book (not the movie).

I guess in theory, this could work. stock away the surplus for a rainy day so that....

ah, I kid. has any government ever done that?

I knew CA finances had been killing it in spite of right-wing expectations, and wondered what the secret sauce was.
    just finished my 35th year in 12-team NL 5x5
    AVG collapse in Sept left us finishing 4th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

UPDATED! 2019 keeper candidates (can keep up to 11)
    SP Kershaw 42, AWood 5, CSmith 1
    RP Jeffress 1, Dominguez 10, Knebel 2
    C Realmuto 13, 3B Longoria 15, 2B Kendrick 8, 2S Hanson 10
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, CarGo 14, FCordero 10

What? I never said Mexico would pay for the wall! You made that up! Fake news!

My god man, this guy will piss on your back and tell you it's raining:

"President Trump denied Thursday that he ever meant Mexico would directly pay for the border wall — despite his oft-repeated campaign promises, and memos that clearly show otherwise.

“When I said Mexico will pay for the wall in front of thousands and thousands of people, obviously they’re not going to write a check,” Trump told reporters before departing Washington for Texas, where he will tour the border.

“But they are paying for the wall indirectly many, many times over by the really great trade deal we just made.”

But the deal the Trump administration has reached with Mexico and Canada to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement has yet to be ratified by the Senate, and doesn’t require Mexico to pay up."
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/10/trump-...-for-the-wall/

Serious question -- if Trump calls a "national emergency" and circumvents Congress to build his wall, is there a reason why, say in political retaliation, a Democratic president in the future couldn't declare a National Emergency after a mass shooting and take everyone's guns away?

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Serious question -- if Trump calls a "national emergency" and circumvents Congress to build his wall, is there a reason why, say in political retaliation, a Democratic president in the future couldn't declare a National Emergency after a mass shooting and take everyone's guns away?
    One is a Constitutionally Granted Right...... is the first thing that comes to mind.. Seriously??? Are you actually saying that the President (any President) has the power to take away your Constitutionally given rights?

I dont think Trump should go that route just to clarify.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    One is a Constitutionally Granted Right...... is the first thing that comes to mind.. Seriously??? Are you actually saying that the President (any President) has the power to take away your Constitutionally given rights?

I dont think Trump should go that route just to clarify.
    Where does it say in the Constitution that you could own an assault rifle? Or that you need more than one gun? And BTW I knew I should have added that since there are some RJers here who like to nitpick.

Where does it say in the Constitution that you could own an assault rifle? Or that you need more than one gun?
    We are not going back around the gun thing again. Suffice to say - currently we are allowed as citizens to own guns and that right has been deemed to be given based upon the 2nd Amendment. The right "shall not be infringed upon".

But Lets say for instance that the President bans ALL GUNS. What would then preclude him from Banning WOMEN from voting? What would preclude him from Banning Freedom of Speech? What would preclude him from saying certain types of people cant congregate together....... Once the precedent is set - there is no stopping where it could go.

For Fuck Sake - your argument is inane. Usually you are pretty well thought out - but this one is WAAAAAY WAAAAY out there. HOLY SHIT - Lets just get rid of our founding documents - the 3 branches of government and allow some dictator to take over. Nice!

Serious Question - what right is he infringing on should he get a wall built?

Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    We are not going back around the gun thing again. Suffice to say - currently we are allowed as citizens to own guns and that right has been deemed to be given based upon the 2nd Amendment. The right "shall not be infringed upon".

But Lets say for instance that the President bans ALL GUNS. What would then preclude him from Banning WOMEN from voting? What would preclude him from Banning Freedom of Speech? What would preclude him from saying certain types of people cant congregate together....... Once the precedent is set - there is no stopping where it could go.

For Fuck Sake - your argument is inane. Usually you are pretty well thought out - but this one is WAAAAAY WAAAAY out there. HOLY SHIT - Lets just get rid of our founding documents - the 3 branches of government and allow some dictator to take over. Nice!
    There is a president who is currently attempting to circumvent Congress on nearly everything and recently wanted to overturn the 14th Amendment, and said he had "legal opinions" that would allow him to do so. Did you forget about that?

Also, there was already an assault rifle ban in this country from 1994-2004. So I have no idea why you're going into hysterics.

So let's clarify for the nitpickers:

As political retaliation for a GOP president declaring a National Emergency where there isn't one, if a Democratic president is elected, what would stop him or her from declaring a National Emergency to ban Assault Rifles after a major mass shooting?

Trump is merely following down the path of Unitary Executive Theory forged by Dick Cheney, David Addington, and John Yoo. In short, the POTUS is above the law. Hopefully it will be quickly struck down but given the current state of the Judiciary, nothing will surprise me.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige