This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I would describe this observation as indisputable, and it saddens me how many right-wingers just don't get it.

and because of that, I can even understand why that idiot on CNN who accused a black guy of "white privilege" doesn't draw a response from the left. no ground is to be ceded, on either side. those are the current rules of engagement.

those who enjoy tossing around the term "white privilege" might want to consider what is the intended point - and what is the result?

for virtue-signaling purposes, it's a home run. you prove you are "one of us" in the circle. but if it's intended to get right-wingers to "get woke," um, it will never ever work.

all forms of unbridled, sweeping generalizations and stereotypes are unproductive.

what "white privilege" and "only whites can be racist" have in common is sociological. hacko explains well the every-day reality, and an academic analysis that has only the group in power being able to inflict power on others is sound.

but in terms of furthering a discussion, both fail. a poor white person whose family has never been educated nonetheless is aware that a significant number of minorities fared far better in the 'parent's lottery' than they did, making it easier for that person to succeed. An Ivy League-educated African-American whose parents were doctors telling an unemployed, depressed white person to "check his white privilege at the door" is not likely to end well.

again, everything that hacko said is true and clear to anyone who has a clue - no matter how successful that person becomes. and of course there is massive frustration about that; it's fully justified.

but handing tens of millions of Americans the same label isn't helping - if that wasn't already obvious.

hacko's message is the one to be disseminated - not insulting stereotyping.

and if the 2020 Democratic candidate makes "white privilege" part of their campaign rhetoric - well, that, too, won't end well.
    Well written abd
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      Yup. That story seems to be falling apart quickly.
      Really? Because he approached them as they were harassing a group of African Americans?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        Race is the single biggest issue in our country today. It drives almost all governmental decisions, including health care, education, immigration and foreign policy. And no matter how broad minded, compassionate or "woke" we may think we are, we have no friggin' idea what people of color face on a daily basis. That's my two cents on the subject.
        Agreed, and that's why Trump and his party must be taken down. He (and they) has completely stoked the flames of racism and therefore I don't care what his (or their) positions or polices are on anything else. Republicans are the party of racism. I don't care if it hurts their feelings to be labeled as such. Stop fucking defending and supporting racists and their racist policies and I'll stop calling them racists.
        Last edited by DMT; 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Really? Because he approached them as they were harassing a group of African Americans?
          Interesting take. The kids were t hassling anyone. They were apparently waiting for their bus to go home a chanting a school cheer. Much longer video supports they did little wrong. In fact the kid with the MAGA hat was targeted.
          Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM.
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Interesting take. The kids were t hassling anyone. They were apparently waiting for their bus to go home a chanting a school cheer. Much longer video supports they did little wrong. In fact the kid with the MAGA hat was targeted.
            Lol, of course he was targeted...he really looks like a victim. I can't wait to see the evidence presented backing your version of reality. Maybe it was the "Black Muslims" his mom complained about. Really sad and pathetic.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Lol, of course he was targeted...he really looks like a victim. I can't wait to see the evidence presented backing your version of reality. Maybe it was the "Black Muslims" his mom complained about. Really sad and pathetic.
              It is. You liberals always have to have a villain. It’s all over the Internet. Actually several videos.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                Race is the single biggest issue in our country today. It drives almost all governmental decisions, including health care, education, immigration and foreign policy. And no matter how broad minded, compassionate or "woke" we may think we are, we have no friggin' idea what people of color face on a daily basis. That's my two cents on the subject.
                i'm inclined to defer to you being more experienced but i always thought it went
                1) class
                2) race
                3) gender

Comment

It is. You liberals always have to have a villain. It’s all over the Internet. Actually several videos.
                  All over the internet? Dude, stop playing the fool.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQyBHTTqb38

this appears to be a main one.

I know I'll be seen as a fool for waiting on subsequent reporting, but so be it.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Can we all agree to stop this thread on page 666? It seems appropriate to me given who this thread is about.

Comment

• I have seen a lot of outrage about what the teenagers did, but I haven’t heard a word about the Black Israelites. The homophobic language (the private school kids booed their use of the word faggot FWIW), the threats, the mocking of the only black student in the group.....why has there been no condemnation of those adults and what they did to instigate the situation? Everyone’s outrage would seem a lot more genuine and a lot less MAGA hat related if there was some condemnation (or even acknowledgement) of the role the BI played in the incident.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                          I have seen a lot of outrage about what the teenagers did, but I haven’t heard a word about the Black Israelites. The homophobic language (the private school kids booed their use of the word faggot FWIW), the threats, the mocking of the only black student in the group.....why has there been no condemnation of those adults and what they did to instigate the situation? Everyone’s outrage would seem a lot more genuine and a lot less MAGA hat related if there was some condemnation (or even acknowledgement) of the role the BI played in the incident.
                          Well because all of the mainstream media clips initially did not include it. Having watched it, it is deplorable and inexcusable behaviors from them. I don't see how it excuses what the MAGAts did.
                          Last edited by DMT; 01-20-2019, 08:55 PM.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Well because most of the mainstream media clips did not include it. Having watched it, it is deplorable and inexcusable behaviors from them. I don't see how it excuses what the MAGAts did.
                            I didn’t say it excused what the MAGAs did.
                            Why would you suppose the media would chose not to highlight what the BIs did? Especially now, why aren’t there articles on NBC, CBS etc. providing further context to the story since the full video has been released—a video which you deemed ‘deplorable’?
                            Bad weekend for the media.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                              I didn’t say it excused what the MAGAs did.
                              Why would you suppose the media would chose not to highlight what the BIs did? Especially now, why aren’t there articles on NBC, CBS etc. providing further context to the story since the full video has been released—a video which you deemed ‘deplorable’?
                              Well CNN has already posted an updated story with Jake Tapper tweeting it out. I am not going to defend the media because I know they can be irresponsible in their reporting. I'm guessing more reporting will follow detailing and condemning the roles of the Black Israelites.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Well CNN has already posted an updated story with Jake Tapper tweeting it out. I am not going to defend the media because I know they can be irresponsible in their reporting. I'm guessing more reporting will follow detailing and condemning the roles of the Black Israelites.
                                Hmmm, but I’m a fool? Interesting. What exactly did you see the “MAGA” kids doing that was deplorable? I think it’s deplorable that so many were wearing MAGA apparel but I saw no video of them saying anything about the Wall.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X