This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frae View Post
    He didn't take a shot at Harris in that tweet storm, just Biden, Warren and Pete. He also skipped Sanders but he hasn't found a tag yet for him either. I don't know what to read into it but I did notice it.
    Hasn't Sanders been "Crazy Bernie" before?

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
      Hasn't Sanders been "Crazy Bernie" before?
      You are right, there is actually a wiki page devoted to his nicknames...

Crazy Bernie and the nutty professor. Nothing on Harris yet.

Comment

• Aah, these Republicans, only speaking out against Dopey when there's no ramifications. Cowards.

From an interview with Paul Ryan for American Carnage, a new book released today:
        ‘I told myself I gotta have a relationship with this guy to help him get his mind right. Because, I’m telling you, he didn’t know anything about government. ... I wanted to scold him all the time.’

Except he fell right in line like a good boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Aah, these Republicans, only speaking out against Dopey when there's no ramifications. Cowards.

From an interview with Paul Ryan for American Carnage, a new book released today:
          ‘I told myself I gotta have a relationship with this guy to help him get his mind right. Because, I’m telling you, he didn’t know anything about government. ... I wanted to scold him all the time.’

Except he fell right in line like a good boy.
          Hopefully der leader responds to this betrayal publicly.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Hopefully der leader responds to this betrayal publicly.
            He’s an incredibly vain narcissist. Of course he did!

"Paul Ryan, the failed V.P. candidate & former Speaker of the House, whose record of achievement was atrocious (except during my first two years as President), ultimately became a long running lame duck failure, leaving his Party in the lurch both as a fundraiser & leader," Trump tweeted.

Trump continued: "When Mitt chose Paul I told people that’s the end of that Presidential run. He quit Congress because he didn’t know how to Win. They gave me standing O’s in the Great State of Wisconsin, & booed him off the stage. He promised me the Wall, & failed (happening anyway!)."

"...He had the Majority & blew it away with his poor leadership and bad timing. Never knew how to go after the Dems like they go after us. Couldn’t get him out of Congress fast enough!" Trump wrote.

EDIT — but wait, there’s more!!

“He was a baby,” Trump said. “He didn’t know what the hell he was doing.”

“For him to be going out and opening his mouth is pretty incredible,” Trump declared.

Comment

• Sec of Labor Acosta resigns, this after getting the kiss of death endorsement from Trump earlier in the week. He becomes the NINTH cabinet member to leave his or her post since the Dopey Regime began 2 1/2 achingly long years ago. If you think that's a lot, well, it is. There was NO turnover among cabinet members during Obama's first 2 1/2 years in office, and just one under Bush.

Comment

• Video of Pence, Graham, Lee, and Tillis seeing a border facility...

Official White House Pool Report filed by Joash Dawsey

Reuters article on the visit...

Last edited by frae; 07-13-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                  Video of Pence, Graham, Lee, and Tillis seeing a border facility...

Official White House Pool Report filed by Joash Dawsey

Reuters article on the visit...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1U800W
                  Just the still images alone are horrifying...it's something that we should NEVER have to see in any civilized country, no matter what "crimes" the incarcerated may have committed.

And it makes me wonder what the other camps may be like, if they chose thins one for a publicity tour for the VP.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

• if I didn't know better, I'd almost think it's not about the issue at all - but rather, who is in charge at the time

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/1695534001/
                    WASHINGTON – The House Oversight Committee, which Democratic lawmakers head, tweeted a Obama-era photo Tuesday to promote a hearing on the current treatment of migrants at facilities along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The tweet has since been deleted.

The image that was tweeted out promoted a hearing entitled: "Kids in Cages: Inhumane Treatment at the Border." The background photo, which was from June 2014, showed migrants fenced in a facility with silver emergency blankets.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...es-immigrants/
                    CLAIM
                    The Obama administration, not the Trump administration, built the cages that hold many immigrant children at the U.S.-Mexico border.

RATING
                    True.

CBP facilities have long faced criticism for their abysmal conditions. A lawsuit filed in 2015 during Obama’s presidency challenged the situation at these “hieleras,” or “iceboxes,” alleging “appalling conditions” including people held in “freezing, overcrowded, and filthy cells for extended periods of time, no access to beds, soap, showers, adequate meals and water, medical care, and lawyers in violation of constitutional standards and Border Patrol’s own policies.”
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• And Obama was repeatedly called out for his abysmal immigration record. Look up "Deporter-in-Chief" and then go back to your circle, ahem, knee-jerk whataboutism.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Obama was repeatedly called out for his abysmal immigration record.
                        geesh, it dominated the news cycle for 15-20 hours a day, for months. Pelosi, Schumer, the other Dems - it's all they talked about. Maddow led her show with it almost every night. it dominated Sports Bar talk for years. the "cages" particularly incensed posters.

how could I forget? wait.....

the fact that some immigration advocates objected doesn't give you dismissive grounds to just wave your hands and go "la la la la."
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          geesh, it dominated the news cycle for 15-20 hours a day, for months. Pelosi, Schumer, the other Dems - it's all they talked about. Maddow led her show with it almost every night. it dominated Sports Bar talk for years. the "cages" particularly incensed posters.

how could I forget? wait.....

the fact that some immigration advocates objected doesn't give you dismissive grounds to just wave your hands and go "la la la la."
                          Obama also didn't make harsher immigration enforcement the central policy of his Presidency.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

And Obama was repeatedly called out for his abysmal immigration record. Look up "Deporter-in-Chief" and then go back to your circle, ahem, knee-jerk whataboutism.
                            I don’t recall the Deporter in Chief stuff getting much play in here. Certainly not to the level it gets now. I wonder why that is?

Comment

• President Donald Trump wants to deport a lot of people this weekend. “You know what? They came in illegally. They have to go out,” he told reporters Friday as he confirmed that planned immigration raids would go ahead in certain cities starting this weekend.

Trump said Obama initiated the policy of separating those children from their caregivers, even though fact checkers have found that claim to be false.

uring an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," which aired Sunday, Trump told host Chuck Todd that he "inherited separation from President Obama" and that "I was the one that ended it."

"When I became president, President Obama had a separation policy. I didn't have it. He had it. I brought the families together. I'm the one that put them together," he told Telemundo's José Díaz Balart in an interview that aired Thursday.

And on Thursday he told Time magazine that "I inherited separation" and "I’m the one that put the families back together.

But, according to FactCheck.org, "previous administrations did not have a blanket policy to prosecute parents and separate them from their children." It was after the Trump administration announced its "zero-tolerance" immigration policy in April 2018, in which everyone who illegally entered the U.S. was referred for criminal prosecution, that thousands of migrant children were separated from their parents.

Comparisons between Trump and Obama on immigration usually focus on deportations of unauthorized immigrants living in the US. Trump has been rapidly expanding enforcement, but the numbers are still comparable to Obama’s first term. (Obama holds the record for deporting more immigrants than any president, with more than 2 million deportations over eight years — though he scaled back enforcement in the last two years of his administration.)

But the effects of the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy for prosecuting illegal entry this spring — the separation of families as a matter of standard government practice for about six weeks, and now (thanks to Trump’s executive order) a coming court fight over the indefinite detention of families seeking asylum — are reminiscent, for those of us who’ve been following immigration for a while, of what the Obama administration did in 2014.

The comparison to Obama’s policies is especially relevant now that the Trump administration is seeking to keep families in immigration detention for weeks or months. The reason that Trump can’t do that under a current judicial order is that the courts stepped in to stop Obama from doing it.

Now Trump is trying to remove the shackles placed on his predecessor.

Obama was faced with a genuine increase in children and families coming to the US; Trump just decided that typical numbers were unacceptable

Even as he maintained that the policy is effective, President Trump inaccurately said his administration’s practice of separating families on the border should be pinned on his predecessor.

WHAT MR. TRUMP SAID
                              “President Obama had child separation. Take a look. The press knows it. You know it. We all know it. I didn’t have — I’m the one that stopped it. … But President Obama had the law. We changed the law, and I think the press should accurately report it. But of course they won’t.”
                              False.

Mr. Trump has escalated a misleading defense of his administration’s practice of breaking up families to outright revisionist history. There is no law that mandates family separation, let alone a law enacted under Mr. Obama. The practice is the result of a policy enacted by the Trump administration, and ended by Mr. Trump last June.

Last year, as the Trump administration faced backlash over its policy, top officials countered that Mr. Trump’s predecessors had also separated families at the border. That was misleading. While previous administrations did break up families, it was rare — for example, in cases where there was doubt about the familial relationship between a child and an accompanying adult, according to former officials and immigration experts.

Neither former Presidents George W. Bush nor Barack Obama had a policy that had the effect of widespread family separation, Sarah Pierce of the Migration Policy Institute told The Times last June. “Nothing like what the Trump administration is doing has occurred before,” she said.

The Bush administration introduced a program in 2005 that also referred for prosecution immigrants illegally crossing the border, but it made an exception for parents with children. The Obama administration in 2014 detained families together, drawing its own criticisms and lawsuits.”

Back in 2015, during Obama's tenure, a lawsuit filed by the ACLU alleged that detention centers presented "appalling conditions" and did not provide basics such as access to beds, adequate food or medical care.

While conditions were poor under Obama's administration, some things appear to have grown worse during Trump's tenure. A report by The Marshall Project found that the average daily population of migrants in detention centers has risen under Trump. During Obama's time in office, the number of detained migrants was generally between 30,000 and 40,000 on any given day. As of last year, the average under Trump was nearly 46,000—and that number has been on the rise. This has led to even more overcrowding and less resources, while conditions were already considered inhumane by many.

Hundred of migrant minors have also reportedly been held by CBP longer than the 72 hours legally allowed in recent months, according to data reported by The Washington Post at the end of May. In some cases, the children were kept in CBP custody for more than a week. Most of those children arrived in the country without a parent or legal guardian, but the Trump administration previously implemented a "zero tolerance" policy that resulted in thousands of family separations.

Under that decision, migrant children were separated from their parents. Although that controversial policy was ordered halted by a federal judge last year, DHS has struggled to account for all the children impacted and also to reunite all the separated families. Although family separations did occur under Obama and previous administrations, such decisions were relatively rare and not used to deter migrants from coming to the country.

There were also no migrant children who died while in CBP custody during the final six years of the Obama administration. Former DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen previously admitted that it had been more than a decade since a child had died in CBP detention until December of last year, when an eight-year-old Guatemalan national passed away on Christmas eve. Since then, at least four other children have died while detained

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                                I don’t recall the Deporter in Chief stuff getting much play in here. Certainly not to the level it gets now. I wonder why that is?
                                See my post right above your question.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X