X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I agree.
    I think that is fairly well the mindset of the typical economist.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Trump apparently was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Shinjo Abe of Japan. That’s a great honor, and Donald Trump has, as expected, humblebragged extensively about it. Wait, what? The White House actually ASKED Japan to nominate him???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

• um, Obama won it in 2009 after less than a year in office.

if anyone wants to say that:
        a) Obama changed the world peace scenario in that span and
        b) still, in light of his warring and drone strikes, remains a sterling recipient of the honor....

I'm all ears!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          um, Obama won it in 2009 after less than a year in office.

if anyone wants to say that:
          a) Obama changed the world peace scenario in that span and
          b) still, in light of his warring and drone strikes, remains a sterling recipient of the honor....

I'm all ears!
          If you have any sort of proof that Obama or his administration prodded someone/something to nominate him, which he then bashfully accepted while not admitting he was behind it, I'm all ears! Because that's the point of that post!

Comment

• ok on the point of the post.

but a decade later, does that Nobel Peace Prize strike anyone as a little - premature, odd, etc?

even then

"In a USA Today / Gallup Poll conducted October 16–19, 61% of American adults polled responded that they thought Obama did not deserve to win the prize, while 34% responded that he did; when asked if they were personally glad that Obama won the award, 46% of respondents said they were and 47% said they were not glad."

"An editorial in The Washington Post began, "It's an odd Nobel Peace Prize that almost makes you embarrassed for the honoree", and compared the Nobel Committee's statement that Obama had "created a new climate in international politics" to a recent satirical skit on television."

"Thomas L. Friedman of The New York Times wrote, "It dismays me that the most important prize in the world has been devalued in this way."

"On the morning of the announcement, several of The Washington Post's opinion-page columnists, posting at the newspaper's "Post Partisan" blog, characterized the award as laughable or directly satirized it, including such supportive columnists as Ruth Marcus ("ridiculous — embarrassing, even"), Richard Cohen (who satirized the award), and foreign-affairs columnist David Ignatius ("goofy" and "weird"), and Michael Kinsley (whose satirical response came the next day)."

"James Taranto wrote in The Wall Street Journal an article summarising various opinions on the Internet, concluding how the award was embarrassing for Obama. He said the award was a "staggeringly premature honor - the equivalent of a lifetime-achievement Oscar for a child star - makes yesterday's satire into today's news."

"There have been a number of calls for Obama to either return the award or to have the Nobel Committee recall it, most recently in 2013. In April 2013 a petition was begun asking the Nobel Committee to rescind the Peace Prize. The petition garnered 10,000 signatures in its first day and nearly 20,000 by the end of its first week."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• It's pettiness. The Nobel Peace Prize has always been political, and it's also been given to Le Duc Tho, Yassir Arafat & Henry Kissinger (who orchestrated the bombing of Cambodia), yet others like Mahatma Gandhi and Princess Diana never won it.

Also, how rich would the irony be of giving Trump, a climate change denier, the same award given to Al Gore for his work on climate change?

Comment

• Absolutely the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama after less than a year in office was pretty silly. I guess the Nobel Committee mostly wanted to celebrate the end of the Bush/Cheney regime and the election of the first Black president in the US's history, and one with strong roots and connections to Africa and Asia at that. But they did Obama no favors by bestowing the award on him when they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Absolutely the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama after less than a year in office was pretty silly. I guess the Nobel Committee mostly wanted to celebrate the end of the Bush/Cheney regime and the election of the first Black president in the US's history, and one with strong roots and connections to Africa and Asia at that. But they did Obama no favors by bestowing the award on him when they did.
                  What is silly is that someone that deserved did not win. Lower on the silly scale is that fact that Trump is measurably more deserving of the honor.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    What is silly is that someone that deserved did not win. Lower on the silly scale is that fact that Trump is measurably more deserving of the honor.

J
                    Ummmmmmmmm.... no.

Comment

J
                      It completely neuters the legitimacy of the award when you consider that Ted Cruz has not won 2 or 3 already, to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                        It completely neuters the legitimacy of the award when you consider that Ted Cruz has not won 2 or 3 already, to be honest.
                        Yeah, but that is true of every award Ted Cruz has not won.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          Yeah, but that is true of every award Ted Cruz has not won.
                          And all the awards that don't even exist yet that he deserves!

Comment

• If you like Ted Cruz so much, please take him with you when you go.

I don't have to like the guy to recognize talent and ambition meeting opportunity.

I sympathize that it's a low bar to say that Trump is more deserving of the Nobel Prize than Obama. It's also a low bar to say that Trump is a better President than Obama. Still, it is the starting point.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

If you like Ted Cruz so much, please take him with you when you go.

I don't have to like the guy to recognize talent and ambition meeting opportunity.

I sympathize that it's a low bar to say that Trump is more deserving of the Nobel Prize than Obama. It's also a low bar to say that Trump is a better President than Obama. Still, it is the starting point.

J
                              What dont u like about ted cruz ?
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• ppl think he ate a booger at one of the debates. and there's that saying not to eat them unless you have enough to share with everyone else. ..so he doesn't share his boogers?

Comment

Working...
                                X