This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nots View Post
    Big win for the Democrats on this. The next Democratic President will have the authority to declare an emergency on guns, or climate or whatever the cause of the day is and will have a solid precedent with which to do so. All it cost was a couple hundred miles of wall that, let’s be honest, all the Democrats in the Senate have previously voted for (in spite of its ‘immorality’, lol). Reminds me a lot of Harry Reid’s filibuster gaffe. Small win in the short term for Trump, but huge loss for the GOP (and really, all of us that believe in the traditions and power of our government in the long run). I am as anti-illegal immigration as anyone in here, but this is a terrible move.
    This isn't a big win for any American. We all lose.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      This isn't a big win for any American. We all lose.
      Disagree completely. Democrats have a ‘get out of jail free’card they didn’t have yesterday. That’s a huge win for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        Disagree completely. Democrats have a ‘get out of jail free’card they didn’t have yesterday. That’s a huge win for them.
        It deeply undercuts one of the fundamental pillars of our constitutional system, but we got a little more power out of it to do what we want down the road, so hey...party in the streets, I guess? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Hopefully it's just used to underscore the hypocrisy of small government argument and never actually employed.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            It deeply undercuts one of the fundamental pillars of our constitutional system, but we got a little more power out of it to do what we want down the road, so hey...party in the streets, I guess? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
            I agree it does, but that doesn’t matter in the current climate.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Serious question -- if Trump calls a "national emergency" and circumvents Congress to build his wall, is there a reason why, say in political retaliation, a Democratic president in the future couldn't declare a National Emergency after a mass shooting and take everyone's guns away?
              Hmmmm......

"Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday issued a warning to Republicans poised to support President Trump's decision to declare a national emergency at the southern border: the next Democratic president, she said, could do the same on guns.

"A Democratic president can declare emergencies, as well," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. "So the precedent that the president is setting here is something that should be met with great unease and dismay by the Republicans."

Pelosi noted that Thursday marked the one-year anniversary of the shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 students and faculty dead. She argued that the real national emergency is not illegal border crossings, but gun violence in the U.S.

"Let's talk about today: The one-year anniversary of another manifestation of the epidemic of gun violence in America," Pelosi said. "That's a national emergency. Why don't you declare that emergency, Mr. President? I wish you would.

"But a Democratic president can do that."

Comment

• "Serious question -- if Trump calls a "national emergency" and circumvents Congress to build his wall, is there a reason why, say in political retaliation, a Democratic president in the future couldn't declare a National Emergency after a mass shooting and take everyone's guns away?"

um, that's probably not a good example given the likely.... fallout.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  "Serious question -- if Trump calls a "national emergency" and circumvents Congress to build his wall, is there a reason why, say in political retaliation, a Democratic president in the future couldn't declare a National Emergency after a mass shooting and take everyone's guns away?"

um, that's probably not a good example given the likely.... fallout.
                  Not trying to rehash that part, just showing that it’s something that’s in the minds of the opposition.

Comment

• if anything close to 'take everyone's guns away' is even 1 percent in the minds of the opposition, I'd appreciate a heads-up so my family and I can flee the country with all our belongings ahead of the civil war.

and to be clear, I was quoting Revo, iirc. obviously I can't imagine anything so harebrained.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

if anything close to 'take everyone's guns away' is even 1 percent in the minds of the opposition, I'd appreciate a heads-up so my family and I can flee the country with all our belongings ahead of the civil war.

and to be clear, I was quoting Revo, iirc. obviously I can't imagine anything so harebrained.
                      You missed the entire discussion. What about if the Dems want to ban assault rifles, like what happened between 1994-2004? Is that harebrained? Or enact amazingly strict gun buying laws? Harebrained? What if the Dems decide not to ban guns....but ban ammo? Harebrained?

Comment

• any of these "quid pro quo" silly power grabs would be stupid - not that Trump and his henchmen don't have it coming to them.

but as dopey as it is to declare an emergency like this, the impact on the lives of 99.9 pct of Americans is.... zero. it's terrible philosophically, mainly.

making a silly power grab outside of Congress that actually impacts millions of citizens? that would be lunacy cubed x cubed.

that's why they call it "derangement syndrome."

"he did something so absurd that to retaliate, we should in a couple of years do something that will upend the entire fabric of the U.S. culture - without any input from Congress, as Constitutionally mandated. it'll be so fun, because revenge against a childish President beats the heck out of governing like adults, doesn't it?!"

now, if an all-D executive and legislative branch wants to be so bold - sure, they can do that.
                        then again, they could have made decisions on a lot of issues under 2 Obama years like, oh - immigration - and chose not to. and they could have gone even bolder than they did against guns, but they passed.

interesting, that.
                        Last edited by Judge Jude; 02-14-2019, 11:39 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• lets start with manditory vaccinations then, we have a national medical emergency where diseases we thought we had wiped out are returning, ok with that? slippery slope.....
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

any of these "quid pro quo" silly power grabs would be stupid - not that Trump and his henchmen don't have it coming to them.

but as dopey as it is to declare an emergency like this, the impact on the lives of 99.9 pct of Americans is.... zero. it's terrible philosophically, mainly.

making a silly power grab outside of Congress that actually impacts millions of citizens? that would be lunacy cubed x cubed.

that's why they call it "derangement syndrome."

"he did something so absurd that to retaliate, we should in a couple of years do something that will upend the entire fabric of the U.S. culture - without any input from Congress, as Constitutionally mandated. it'll be so fun, because revenge against a childish President beats the heck out of governing like adults, doesn't it?!"

now, if an all-D executive and legislative branch wants to be so bold - sure, they can do that.
                            then again, they could have made decisions on a lot of issues under 2 Obama years like, oh - immigration - and chose not to. and they could have gone even bolder than they did against guns, but they passed.

interesting, that.
                            Nah, instead let's let one side play by rules and the other side do whatever the fuck they want.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Nah, instead let's let one side play by rules and the other side do whatever the fuck they want.
                              Neither have played by the rules........

They only worry about how their side is going to win.
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• I don't feel safe teaching now that there has been a declared National Emergency - How do I protect my students?

Comment

Working...
                                X