This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
    In general, politicians on both sides want the same things - plentiful and high paying jobs, national security, good and affordable heath care, a good education system, etc, and both sides try to implement their ideas. But the two sides have different ideas on how to achieve those goals. Trump has tried to get some things done, but in almost every case, I think his strategy is the wrong path to achieve those goals.

Some specific ideas that I disagree with include:
    1) Implementing a tax cut that greatly reduces taxes for corporations and the wealthy
    2) First trying to ban all Muslims from coming to the U.S., and then switching to a plan to ban people from 7 Muslim-majority countries
    3) Trying to end the DACA program
    4) Trying to end the Affordable Care Act
    5) Pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement
    6) Threatening to pull out of NATO, and in general not supporting our European allies, while backing dictators from countries like Russia, the Philippines, Turkey
    7) Trying to end trade deficits by putting high tariffs on goods from China, Canada, and the EU
    8) Trying to end NAFTA and the TPP
    9) Ending the Iran nuclear deal
    10) Not being willing to quickly condemn racists and white supremacists
    11) Threatening to hold disaster relief funds from Puerto Rico and California
    12) Saying that we need more guns in the classroom, and wanting to arm teachers
    13) Vastly expanding offshore drilling
    14) Reducing regulations on corporate emissions and dumping
    15) Shutting down the government unless he gets a border wall (won't accept more fencing, border agents, and technology)

These are just policy disagreements off the top of my head; I haven't even mentioned his stupid personal attacks on politicians, athletes, entertainers, the FBI, or the Russia stuff or the sexual harassment stuff. So my problem is not "But Trump..." and has nothing to do with the 2016 election. My problem is that I disagree with almost all of his policies.

Instead of complaining about Democrats, why don't you state a specific policy where you think the Democrats are wrong, and where Trump is correct? Then we could try to intelligently discuss the policy. But I don't see any value in the "But both sides are to blame..." We need to be specific as to what policies we support and which ones we don't.
    Now, take your list and figure how many of those are considered wins by the Republican base. Hint: It's a double digit number.

Originally posted by nots View Post
    I voted for him both times. First time was easy (I did vote for Obama in 08–by 2012 I was against his militarism). In 2016, as I said, I did not like the campaign Johnson ran but I voted for him. As a Libertarian (more or less), I support the platform a lot more than I support the Dems or Reps platform. IMO, there were no compelling character traits of Clinton or Trump that would have led me to disavow the Lib platform. In fact, both are much worse human beings than Johnson, bless his stoned, goofy heart. So I supported him and cringed the fewtimes the networks deigned to give him any airtime as he reeked havoc on the party.
    Now, how and wow, how could you vote for Hillary or Trump (no idea who you voted for but guessing Hillary)? Probably for same reason, party platform.
    Johnson managed more votes than all 2012 3rd party and write-in votes combined. It may be literally true that defecting Johnson support elected Trump. I suspect Trump has gone a long way to keeping those defectors.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• And now Mueller’s office has issued a rare public rebuke of the Buzzfeed article, saying it’s “not accurate.”

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        And now Mueller’s office has issued a rare public rebuke of the Buzzfeed article, saying it’s “not accurate.”
        yeah, it seemed headed that way by every passing hour.
        a former colleague of Mueller was saying how pissed his staff had to be over the story - terrible if the first leak finally hit, and terrible if it didn't.

update from Mia Farrow's kid, who broke a lot of the #metoo stuff

Ronan Farrow
        ‏Verified account @RonanFarrow

I can’t speak to Buzzfeed’s sourcing, but, for what it’s worth, I declined to run with parts of the narrative they conveyed based on a source central to the story repeatedly disputing the idea that Trump directly issued orders of that kind.
        7:50 PM - 18 Jan 2019

[this gets back to my earlier observation about emails etc. I don't know that Trump sends anyone emails, so the idea that he emailed or texted Cohen or anyone to lie seemed problematic. would he say that in a 1-on-1 meeting? I bet he would. and may well have done.]
        Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-18-2019, 09:39 PM.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          Now, take your list and figure how many of those are considered wins by the Republican base. Hint: It's a double digit number.

J
          Hopefully not this one

10) Not being willing to quickly condemn racists and white supremacists
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            yeah, it seemed headed that way by every passing hour.
            a former colleague of Mueller was saying how pissed his staff had to be over the story - terrible if the first leak finally hit, and terrible if it didn't.
            The rebuke doesn’t seem to be getting as much play as the original story. Funny that.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
              I voted for him both times. First time was easy (I did vote for Obama in 08–by 2012 I was against his militarism). In 2016, as I said, I did not like the campaign Johnson ran but I voted for him. As a Libertarian (more or less), I support the platform a lot more than I support the Dems or Reps platform. IMO, there were no compelling character traits of Clinton or Trump that would have led me to disavow the Lib platform. In fact, both are much worse human beings than Johnson, bless his stoned, goofy heart. So I supported him and cringed the fewtimes the networks deigned to give him any airtime as he reeked havoc on the party.
              Now, how and wow, how could you vote for Hillary or Trump (no idea who you voted for but guessing Hillary)? Probably for same reason, party platform.
              Thanks for your Answer. I voted for Kasich in Primary ( independent but registered Republican) when it came to the General I did vote for Hillary because my disgust with Trump. He turned out even worst then I thought at the time . I would have voted Kasich or Jeb over Hillary if they were there instead of Trump but would have gone Hillary over Cruz. I am a Centrist that was brought up as a staunch Republican but as I get older I lean more left of center and have felt the Republican Party go way to far right and honestly off the rails. I vote person more then party anymore. I could never vote for Trump,Cruz,Pence tho I like Sherrod Brown as my senator I don’t think I would like him as my President.

Comment

• Aside from Trump's 1,000 lies this week, the Democrats played more of a "team game," per Factcheck.org
                The weekslong partial government shutdown has led to around 800,000 federal employees not working or working without pay. It also has led to some false or questionable claims from Democrats about the shutdown's impact on a host of federal services.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi raised “security concerns” due to the shutdown as a reason to suggest postponing the State of the Union address. But 83 percent of Secret Service employees are exempt from the shutdown.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said it’s possible that people who file tax returns “won’t get their refund checks.” But the IRS said it will recall its furloughed staff back to work in order to process tax returns and “provide refunds to taxpayers as scheduled.”

Hoyer also wrongly claimed that “flood insurance is at risk.” More than a week before he said that, the Federal Emergency Management Agency had already announced it would “resume the sale of new insurance policies and the renewal of expiring policies.”

Rep. Debbie Dingell of Michigan, during a Jan. 11 interview on MSNBC, expressed concern about the Social Security Administration’s ability to handle complaints.

“I care about every one of those government workers who aren’t getting paid, who are scared to death about how they’re going to live and by the way, we should care about the services that aren’t getting performed. From keeping us safe in the skies, to food being inspected, to Social Security complaints, to people having housing issues, to food stamps, the list is endless,” Dingell said.

Social Security and Medicare are not affected by the shutdown, according to both agencies.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  Hopefully not this one 10) Not being willing to quickly condemn racists and white supremacists
                  Definitely that one.

Most Republicans think that accusations of racisim are vastly overdone, often to avoid discussing a valid issue. For example, when Joe Wilson accused President Obama of lying, the first accusation was of racisim. Maureen Dowd phrased it, "You lie, boy." It was not just inappropriate, it was offensive and Dowd was never asked top apologize. The true bottom line, Wilson had a valid point to raise but cries of racism buried it.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Definitely that one.

Most Republicans think that accusations of racisim are vastly overdone, often to avoid discussing a valid issue. For example, when Joe Wilson accused President Obama of lying, the first accusation was of racisim. Maureen Dowd phrased it, "You lie, boy." It was not just inappropriate, it was offensive and Dowd was never asked top apologize. The true bottom line, Wilson had a valid point to raise but cries of racism buried it.

J
                    Yeah, that's a huge problem in America. I worry every day that I will falsely be accused of racism. It affects me and my family in ways that I cant explain. It's just a huge fucking problem that no one except Donald wants to talk about. Thank God for Donald Trump !!!
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Definitely that one.

J
                      like we should give a shit if presidents lie...
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        like we should give a shit if presidents lie...
                        lol. Just wait for the spin
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah, that's a huge problem in America. I worry every day that I will falsely be accused of racism. It affects me and my family in ways that I cant explain. It's just a huge fucking problem that no one except Donald wants to talk about. Thank God for Donald Trump !!!
                          You may find this hard to believe but I actually had to defend a FALSE racism charge 20 years ago when I was managing a group of 20+ people. Suffice to say - I was found to not have any fault in the matter - but it ended the management position I had and I eventually ended up leaving a year or so later. Not necessarily due to those charges, but all of the folks that were part of my team had my back - but it was never the same.

So while you may laugh at the "huge fucking problem" - it seriously almost ended my career! So whether you want to believe it or not - it is out there and happens.
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                            You may find this hard to believe but I actually had to defend a FALSE racism charge 20 years ago when I was managing a group of 20+ people. Suffice to say - I was found to not have any fault in the matter - but it ended the management position I had and I eventually ended up leaving a year or so later. Not necessarily due to those charges, but all of the folks that were part of my team had my back - but it was never the same.

So while you may laugh at the "huge fucking problem" - it seriously almost ended my career! So whether you want to believe it or not - it is out there and happens.
                            I'm sure it happens, and I'm sorry it happened to you. I dont find it hard to believe at all. Just like false rape accusations or other similar issues. I don't think Republicans or Donald Trump have an answer to the problem though. Do you believe any politician could have helped with your situation ?
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm sure it happens, and I'm sorry it happened to you. I dont find it hard to believe at all. Just like false rape accusations or other similar issues. I don't think Republicans or Donald Trump have an answer to the problem though. Do you believe any politician could have helped with your situation ?
                              I think we as a society have to be willing to wait for "due process" to happen rather than jumping straight to the race/bigot/homophobe/islamaphobe /or whatever other card there can be. All to often there is no discussion because as 1J says there was "a valid point to raise but cries of racism buried it."

You may not believe that. However, when a CNN legal analyst calls out someone for their "white male privilege" and the guy happens to be black - - - well its happening way to frequently.
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post

You have been arguing for years that gun violence that kills 20 thousand people is not a problem. So you want me to believe that false racism charges are a huge problem ? Is that what you are saying ?
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X