X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    ruh roh on one of the bylines
    Why did you leave out the paragraph that said he was a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting last year?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      By the way, I'm certainly in favor of some libertarian positions, particularly on social issues like ending the drug war.
      So I guess not all of our views are ‘abhorrent’.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
        Every fucking 3rd party "alternative" is a fringe movement in our society. Libertarianism has come closer to making it on the platform, to be in the discussion, than any other 3rd party. They are the only 3rd party generally on state ballots and are at least organized in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. But yeah, we are still "fringe". In your mind because we are nuts. In my mind, because I am open to the idea that our government shouldnt be a dichotomy or two sided coin.
        Well, to be honest, we shot ourselves in the foot with the Gary Johnson debacle. With 2 horrible, despised candidates, the time was right for the Libs to at least make some noise for a change. I think we could have made an inroad with the dissatisfied folks of both parties. Should have had 15% of the vote easy (Perot got 19 and he was borderline crazy). Instead we went with the hip stoner candidate and probably set ourselves back 2 decades. Well done Gary!

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
          Well, to be honest, we shot ourselves in the foot with the Gary Johnson debacle. With 2 horrible, despised candidates, the time was right for the Libs to at least make some noise for a change. I think we could have made an inroad with the dissatisfied folks of both parties. Should have had 15% of the vote easy (Perot got 19 and he was borderline crazy). Instead we went with the hip stoner candidate and probably set ourselves back 2 decades. Well done Gary!
          Weld would have been the better Pres option. Johnson would have played a good Dan Quayle to Weld.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

So I guess not all of our views are ‘abhorrent’.
            Yea, heat of the moment misspeak.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Yea, heat of the moment misspeak.
              See - now that is funny right there! Nicely played sir!
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Weld would have been the better Pres option. Johnson would have played a good Dan Quayle to Weld.
                Yeah, I love Weld. No one makes a better argument without being obnoxious or unlikeable. Johnson needs to go away.

Comment

I suppose a cynic would hope the Dems would nominate another detestable candidate to battle Trump and we could make up for our 2016 blunder, but I’m not that cynical I guess. Plus, given our history, we would nominate Johnson again and he would get 1.5% this time, lol.

Comment

I suppose a cynic would hope the Dems would nominate another detestable candidate to battle Trump and we could make up for our 2016 blunder, but I’m not that cynical I guess. Plus, given our history, we would nominate Johnson again and he would get 1.5% this time, lol.
                    How did he get the Nomination. Talk about parties picking the worst candidate- it was almost like who can pick the ugliest date contest.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                      How did he get the Nomination. Talk about parties picking the worst candidate- it was almost like who can pick the ugliest date contest.
                      Lots of weed!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Why did you leave out the paragraph that said he was a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting last year?
                        I didn't see it, but I found it now:

"In 2018, Leopold was a finalist for a 2018 Pulitzer Prize in International Reporting for a story the committee described as a "stunning probe across two continents that proved that operatives with apparent ties to Vladimir Putin have engaged in a targeted killing campaign against his perceived enemies on British and American soil."

[meanwhile, the longer the mainstream outlets are unable to confirm this, the curiouser it gets. the sources would have to either be morons or relatives of the reporter to want it to stay solely on Buzzfeed. I can't remember seeing such a thing happen before. reasons to believe, as Bruce once sang - but also.....]
                        Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-18-2019, 04:35 PM.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

That’s a good question. I think he did a good job in 2012, so he had some chips to cash in with the party and he had the most name recognition (prior to Weld getting involved) and the Libertarians are always looking for name recognition to be taken more seriously, so it was his nomination to lose I guess. The problem was he just wasn’t as ‘into it’ as he was in 2012 and it really showed on the campaign trail. Many gaffs and weird moments. I follow his campaign very closely in 2012 and in 2016 and I think I am on very solid ground when I say he was a much worse candidate this time.

Comment

That’s a good question. I think he did a good job in 2012, so he had some chips to cash in with the party and he had the most name recognition (prior to Weld getting involved) and the Libertarians are always looking for name recognition to be taken more seriously, so it was his nomination to lose I guess. The problem was he just wasn’t as ‘into it’ as he was in 2012 and it really showed on the campaign trail. Many gaffs and weird moments. I follow his campaign very closely in 2012 and in 2016 and I think I am on very solid ground when I say he was a much worse candidate this time.
                            I watched an interview with him and Weld . I think if Weld could have gotten away with Slapping him he would have that day. After that show I thought wow who would vote for that guy. So I am assuming now(could be wrong) you and BG voted for him I don’t think either of you are out there but I will repeat. How and wow! Which is excactly how I feel about Trumpers. Not trying to Troll just really want to know is the party MORE important then the Man/ woman character running for that party.

Comment

• I choose not to vote either major party, and as such I look at the party values related to the other alternatives. I voted Libertarian as I have a civic duty to vote and also because it most closely aligns with my ideals.

So for me its not voting major party - then voting for the party that aligns with me. In that case its the party more than the person. though #ballsdeep4Johnson was fun to use on occasion.

Comment

I watched an interview with him and Weld . I think if Weld could have gotten away with Slapping him he would have that day. After that show I thought wow who would vote for that guy. So I am assuming now(could be wrong) you and BG voted for him I don’t think either of you are out there but I will repeat. How and wow! Which is excactly how I feel about Trumpers. Not trying to Troll just really want to know is the party MORE important then the Man/ woman character running for that party.
                                I voted for him both times. First time was easy (I did vote for Obama in 08–by 2012 I was against his militarism). In 2016, as I said, I did not like the campaign Johnson ran but I voted for him. As a Libertarian (more or less), I support the platform a lot more than I support the Dems or Reps platform. IMO, there were no compelling character traits of Clinton or Trump that would have led me to disavow the Lib platform. In fact, both are much worse human beings than Johnson, bless his stoned, goofy heart. So I supported him and cringed the fewtimes the networks deigned to give him any airtime as he reeked havoc on the party.
                                Now, how and wow, how could you vote for Hillary or Trump (no idea who you voted for but guessing Hillary)? Probably for same reason, party platform.

Comment

Working...
                                X