This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    If Trump is removed from office, do you think the Dems can overcome Pence?
    Million to 1 shot at that...million to 1..maybe a billion to 1.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      It's improbable, but you are off by many, many orders of magnitude.

Comment

I will take that bet for $20.00 dollars.

Not because I think I will win, I just like the odds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I will take that bet for $20.00 dollars.

Not because I think I will win, I just like the odds.
          Agree. I suspect the realistic number is between 10-1 and 100-1

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            FWIW, odds.com has an 18% chance of Trump not finishing his term, though I believe that includes quitting or dying.

Comment

Excuse me but.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

You're excused. Now back to reality... (there's quite a few sites that are looking into this same thing, a google search isn't hard).

Didn't you quit fantasy since you couldn't compete on a statistical level? You might want to consider staying away from statistical discussions entirely if you honestly think 1:1MM is realistic. People have trouble grasping large numbers. Suffice to say you aren't close.
                Last edited by Ken; 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                  FWIW, odds.com has an 18% chance of Trump not finishing his term, though I believe that includes quitting or dying.
                  That seems high.

What are the odds of a 73-year-old man (with some cardiovascular issues but presumably the best medical care in the world) dying over the next 13 months? I found a site that quoted 3% chance for the typical 73yo male. I can't believe Trump has a 15% chance of being removed from office or resigning under the threat of such.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Not sure if you are trolling here like you trolled us in the JDM thread, but if not, you should be betting your house on Trump finishing his term, since it is free money if the true odds are even 1/100th of the scale you think they are.

Comment

• How do I interpret the Betfair numbers?
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        How do I interpret the Betfair numbers?
                        5.3 = bet $1, get $5.30 back if the event occurs, ~9/2 odds
                        1.22 = bet $1, get $1.22 back, ~2/9 odds

Comment

5.3 = bet $1, get $5.30 back if the event occurs, ~9/2 odds
                          1.22 = bet $1, get $1.22 back, ~2/9 odds
                          Thanks. That seems high. I think your estimates in the 1%-10% range seem more accurate.

Comment

Not sure if you are trolling here like you trolled us in the JDM thread, but if not, you should be betting your house on Trump finishing his term, since it is free money if the true odds are even 1/100th of the scale you think they are.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plu...et/1.129133401
                            What does Betfair know about politics? Exactly how did they come to those odds?

Comment

What does Betfair know about politics? Exactly how did they come to those odds?
                              Betfair doesn't have to know, it's a market. People put up their own money betting on it, and the market drives the odds.

But you shouldn't have to care about any of that. If you truly think the true odds are 1:1MM, you should be rushing to the bank to pull out all your disposable money and put it on the line. After all, there's no reasonable risk of losing it.

Put another way, a professional athlete who has banked $100 million in his career should be so confident that he would be willing to put up half his career earnings for a return of $50. Think about how certain something has to be for someone to do that, and then think again about the odds.

Comment

• "If you truly think the true odds are 1:1MM, you should be rushing to the bank to pull out all your disposable money and put it on the line."

well, unless you are proposing he take a flight across the pond, you are recommending that someone engage in illegal activity here in the U.S.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X