This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    So if he ran on a platform reflecting positions that you agree with, would you vote for him or Mike Pence for president ? Or Mitt Romney ?
    Good question. Assuming that I've already fought as hard as one registered Democrat can fight to keep Farrakhan from getting the nomination and failed, and assuming there is no 3rd party candidate with a chance of defeating both major-party nominees, I would definitely vote for Mitt Romney over Farrakhan. Pence vs Farrakhan would be a tougher call for me. I might "waste my vote" on a 3rd party candidate with no real chance of winning, but if New Jersey were a swing state polling close and with the possibility of tilting the electoral college result, I could see myself voting for Pence...and then sobbing uncontrollably for four years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      No, I would vehemently oppose him from day one and denounce the party for putting him up, much like many did with hrc. I would probably vote 3rd party or write in if it were pence. If it were Romney, id vote romney over a farrakhan.
      LOL, I started my response and then got distracted, so didn't see your response before submitting, but it looks like we're in pretty much the exact same place politically again.

Comment

• I think Trump vs. Clinton was closer to Pence vs Farrakhan, at least in the minds of many Republicans. I was just trying to point out the difficult choice that many Republicans faced once Trump won the nomination.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think Trump vs. Clinton was closer to Pence vs Farrakhan, at least in the minds of many Republicans. I was just trying to point out the difficult choice that many Republicans faced once Trump won the nomination.
          It would sure be interesting to see a lot of Democrats voting for Pence and accepting his supreme court choices just to avoid Farrakhan.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think Trump vs. Clinton was closer to Pence vs Farrakhan, at least in the minds of many Republicans. I was just trying to point out the difficult choice that many Republicans faced once Trump won the nomination.
            If you define many in terms of raw numbers, that's probably true. If you define it in terms of comparative percentages vis-à-vis "traditional" Republican candidates, it would appear that Trump's positive approval rating among registered Republicans has consistently hovered just about as high.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              If you define many in terms of raw numbers, that's probably true. If you define it in terms of comparative percentages vis-à-vis "traditional" Republican candidates, it would appear that Trump's positive approval rating among registered Republicans has consistently hovered just about as high.
              I wasn't talking about Trump, I was talking about Clinton and Republicans view of her. I think they view her more like Dems view Pence as opposed to how Dems view Romney.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I wasn't talking about Trump, I was talking about Clinton and Republicans view of her. I think they view her more like Dems view Pence as opposed to how Dems view Romney.
                I'm sure that is true, but probably for different reasons. Clinton isn't the candidate most idogically opposed to republican voters like pence is for many dems. My sense is that most who dislike Clinton in both parties do so mostly based on her personality, shady ethics and past.

Comment

And what I mean is that I imagine Farrakhan's popularity rating among registered Democrats never would or could remotely approach Trump's popularity rating among registered Republicans, although I find both to be unacceptable and repugnant for similar reasons. I think you're overestimating the percentage of Republican voters (and/or the percentage of Trump voters) who truly felt like they had to hold their nose while pulling the lever for Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I'm sure that is true, but probably for different reasons. Clinton isn't the candidate most idogically opposed to republican voters like pence is for many dems. My sense is that most who dislike Clinton in both parties do so mostly based on her personality, shady ethics and past.
                    I agree, I was just trying to find a quick example, wasn't trying to get to into the weeds. I'm not sure there is a whole lot of difference between Hillary and Romney for the most part, certainly for the issues I care about. Although I'm certain others can elaborate on differences and point out where I am wrong.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      And what I mean is that I imagine Farrakhan's popularity rating among registered Democrats never would or could remotely approach Trump's popularity rating among registered Republicans, although I find both to be unacceptable and repugnant for similar reasons. I think you're overestimating the percentage of Republican voters (and/or the percentage of Trump voters) who truly felt like they had to hold their nose while pulling the lever for Trump.
                      I guess you were talking about approval and popularity, I was just talking about the voting choice. I wasn't talking about Trump at all, i was referring to how Republicans view Hillary Clinton.

Edit: It seems like maybe you are saying that even if Dems felt they had to vote for Farrakhan they would never approve of him like Repbulicans approve of Trump. I basically agree, and I think that you and SourMashers posts here and elsewhere indicate how much more important personality and personal beliefs of a candidate mean to you. I think that is probably more true of Democrats in general compared to Republicans.

Edit 2: Before I get corrected "personality and personal beliefs" is probably the wrong term. I guess adherence to norms, decorum, grace, thoughfulness, personal integrity, etc. would be better.
                      Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-02-2018, 02:03 PM.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• No mention in here of the new tariffs on steel (25%) and aluminum (10%)? It's huge news up here - in case you didn't know the country that the US imports most of its steel from is Canada, more than 4 times the volume China does.

And your president's approach to trade wars this morning is telling... "... trade wars are easy to win. Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don't trade anymore-we win big. It's easy!"

Oh my.
                        Last edited by TranaGreg; 03-03-2018, 08:36 AM.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Working from the back of your post Tranna, he’s right, if, as usual inarticulate. The US holds huge leverage in any trade war that might commence. It’s why there’s so much whining from other countries - many have had the benefit of screwing the US on tariffs, and now the shoe, in part, is going on the other foot.

The concept of Fair Trade - or tariffs assessed on foreign products equal to tariffs assessed on US products going to the foreign country - is a very old concept; dating back to the 80s. It had a lot of bipartisan support in the 90s.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Gary Cohn out

#nochaoshere

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Gary Cohn out

#nochaoshere
                              Meh. Your other posts relative to people coming and going have merit, but Cohn's hardly the first staffer who's left a WH due to a difference in vision.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Kellyanne Conway found guilty of violating the Hatch Act...looks like her punishment is up to...Donald Trump. Sigh...

Suddenly, looks like Paul Ryan and company are willing to draw that line in the sand with Tariffs...I'll believe it when I see it.
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X