Anyone Golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I hope you enjoy yourself. Each shot a game unto itself.
    Given how long it’s been, I’ll have a lot of games.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I once played in a media event at fabled Baltusrol Country Club in North Jersey, home of 9 PGA Tour majors including 7 US Opens between 1903 and 2016.

it was a spring round, and I mentioned to a colleague on the first tee that this was my first round of the season - so "I am either very brave or I am an idiot."

colleague deadpans: "You're not brave."

stellar setup by me.

but even playing from the tips, it wasn't so bad. I played with two guys with handicaps around 10, so they were jumping out of their shoes to try to reach par 4s in two shots - as they are used to doing. no dice.

I treated them all as par-5s. just hit one down the middle, rinse and repeat, wedge close the green in 3 shots with any luck, and so on. tended to make 6s and sometimes they did, too.

final scores I think for them were maybe 93 and 95 and I was around 105.

as you get older, that acceptance on par-4 realities can go a long way - so to speak.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Baltusrol? Savage...105 sure isn't bad on that course. I played Whistling Straits the year before the first PGA was held there, in my active playing days when I carried a 15ish handicap, and it ate my lunch. I shot 106 there. I easily lost ten strokes due to lack of familiarity with the course - there's hidden pot bunkers all over the place. Loved the greens - they were fast, but really true.

Most fun I had at a championship course was at University Ridge, which is just north of Madison, WI. It's hosted a LPGA event. Had a foursome of women in front of us playing from the black tees, which was generating some disparaging comments from a couple of the guys from the three foursomes we had. The comments ended when the first woman crushed her drive about 275 yards perfectly placed - and this was in the late 1990s, before a lot of the club revolution. We caught up to them on a par three that had been backed up, and one of the women was Nikki Tiziani - who, among us, would be better known as Mrs. Steve Stricker. Really, really nice person and a very, very good golfer.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Baltusrol? Savage...105 sure isn't bad on that course. I played Whistling Straits the year before the first PGA was held there, in my active playing days when I carried a 15ish handicap, and it ate my lunch. I shot 106 there. I easily lost ten strokes due to lack of familiarity with the course - there's hidden pot bunkers all over the place. Loved the greens - they were fast, but really true.

Most fun I had at a championship course was at University Ridge, which is just north of Madison, WI. It's hosted a LPGA event. Had a foursome of women in front of us playing from the black tees, which was generating some disparaging comments from a couple of the guys from the three foursomes we had. The comments ended when the first woman crushed her drive about 275 yards perfectly placed - and this was in the late 1990s, before a lot of the club revolution. We caught up to them on a par three that had been backed up, and one of the women was Nikki Tiziani - who, among us, would be better known as Mrs. Steve Stricker. Really, really nice person and a very, very good golfer.
          Never got to play University Ridge. I heard it is beautiful. I hope to take a customer there some day, so I can write it off.

Comment

Never got to play University Ridge. I heard it is beautiful. I hope to take a customer there some day, so I can write it off.
            Highly recommended - last I played it was 15 years ago, but I've heard it's still in great shape. Usually has great fall rates, so if the weather holds, might want to get it in this year.

Comment

Highly recommended - last I played it was 15 years ago, but I've heard it's still in great shape. Usually has great fall rates, so if the weather holds, might want to get it in this year.
              I actually took my customer who is Verona there last year. It is very nice.

When you mentioned it I was actually thinking SentryWorld which I have not played.

Comment

Played Ives Grove with my old boss yesterday.

I shot 42 (with a 5 on a par 3) and 38 for an 80. Woo Hoo! It is my second or third best round of my life. While I did hit some very good shots, I only had one really bad one. I also putted pretty well.

Weather was great, company better. Shooting 80 on Nov. 5th was a special day.

Comment

I shot a 78 on a par-72 course when I was 16 years old - and never broke 80 again.

just kept getting a few shots worse almost per year, all the way to where it was a struggle to break 100 and now I have retired from the sport. congrats on the fine score - you almost shot your age!

btw Gary Player is turning 85. I'll bet he hasn't failed to shoot below his age in at least 5 or 8 years.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    I shot a 78 on a par-72 course when I was 16 years old - and never broke 80 again.

just kept getting a few shots worse almost per year, all the way to where it was a struggle to break 100 and now I have retired from the sport. congrats on the fine score - you almost shot your age!

btw Gary Player is turning 85. I'll bet he hasn't failed to shoot below his age in at least 5 or 8 years.
                    That was an awesome round for you at any age.

Thanks for the congrats on my round it was really fun.

I bet you are right on Player.

Comment

Played Ives Grove with my old boss yesterday.

I shot 42 (with a 5 on a par 3) and 38 for an 80. Woo Hoo! It is my second or third best round of my life. While I did hit some very good shots, I only had one really bad one. I also putted pretty well.

Weather was great, company better. Shooting 80 on Nov. 5th was a special day.
                      A different buddy of mine and I have a 9:15 tee time at this same course. Nov.19th golf in Wisconsin will be awesome!

Comment

A different buddy of mine and I have a 9:15 tee time at this same course. Nov.19th golf in Wisconsin will be awesome!
                        Hope it'll be better down your way. Looking at 40s and raining up here, which would approximate my winter UK golfing experience from the late 1990s. "Awesome" is not the term I'd use.

Comment

Hope it'll be better down your way. Looking at 40s and raining up here, which would approximate my winter UK golfing experience from the late 1990s. "Awesome" is not the term I'd use.
                          62 parly cloudy 0 chance of rain. A bit windy at 19 mph but no big deal for Nov. golf. Hopefully more holes with the wind than agin it.

Comment

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am today.

Love to watch golf on that course. I have visited it but did not get to play. Maybe someday.

Comment

The Masters at Augusta 2021 is this week.

It is my favorite Tournament on my favorite golf course. I have been blessed to attend a practice day many years ago. I hope to return again someday.

I would like to see Jordan Spieth win this year. He is 10-1. Last year's winner Dustin Johnson is 9-1.

Ian Woosnam is the longest odds at 4000-1.

Comment

I grabbed Spieth before last weekend's Texas Open win to take The Masters - at 14 to 1.

also Cameron Smith and Scheffler each at 40 to 1, and Ancer at 66 to 1.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X