Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Golf?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Won my match 1 up. On to the semi finals playing the best golfer in the league.
    Missed this. How did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Missed this. How did you do?
    Lost as I played pretty bad. Missed short putts on early holes to lose the holes and never recovered. It was a fun year though!!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Lost as I played pretty bad. Missed short putts on early holes to lose the holes and never recovered. It was a fun year though!!
    Hate missing those short putts. Gland you had fun.

I'm warming up for a charity outing in a week. It'll be the first round I've had in a few years now.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    I'm warming up for a charity outing in a week. It'll be the first round I've had in a few years now.
    I hope you enjoy yourself. Each shot a game unto itself.

I hope you enjoy yourself. Each shot a game unto itself.
    Given how long it’s been, I’ll have a lot of games.

I once played in a media event at fabled Baltusrol Country Club in North Jersey, home of 9 PGA Tour majors including 7 US Opens between 1903 and 2016.

it was a spring round, and I mentioned to a colleague on the first tee that this was my first round of the season - so "I am either very brave or I am an idiot."

colleague deadpans: "You're not brave."

stellar setup by me.

but even playing from the tips, it wasn't so bad. I played with two guys with handicaps around 10, so they were jumping out of their shoes to try to reach par 4s in two shots - as they are used to doing. no dice.

I treated them all as par-5s. just hit one down the middle, rinse and repeat, wedge close the green in 3 shots with any luck, and so on. tended to make 6s and sometimes they did, too.

final scores I think for them were maybe 93 and 95 and I was around 105.

as you get older, that acceptance on par-4 realities can go a long way - so to speak.
    entering 37th yr in 12-team NL 5x5 - in 2021, after a year off
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 No-Transactions/No-Bench Parallel Universe roster
    * - COVID/IL/demoted
    on a 15-day hitting rampage to go from last to 7th
    SP - Scherzer, Hendricks, PLopez, Cueto, CSmith, Samardjiza* [Leake*]
    RP - Neris, Knebel, Stanek
    INF - C Molina, C Wolters, 1B Rizzo, 3B ESuarez, CI Longoria, 2B Albies, SS DeJong, MI Kendrick*, UT BCrawford
    OF - Polanco, Eaton*, Dyson, Fowler*, Naylor, UT Duvall

Baltusrol? Savage...105 sure isn't bad on that course. I played Whistling Straits the year before the first PGA was held there, in my active playing days when I carried a 15ish handicap, and it ate my lunch. I shot 106 there. I easily lost ten strokes due to lack of familiarity with the course - there's hidden pot bunkers all over the place. Loved the greens - they were fast, but really true.

Most fun I had at a championship course was at University Ridge, which is just north of Madison, WI. It's hosted a LPGA event. Had a foursome of women in front of us playing from the black tees, which was generating some disparaging comments from a couple of the guys from the three foursomes we had. The comments ended when the first woman crushed her drive about 275 yards perfectly placed - and this was in the late 1990s, before a lot of the club revolution. We caught up to them on a par three that had been backed up, and one of the women was Nikki Tiziani - who, among us, would be better known as Mrs. Steve Stricker. Really, really nice person and a very, very good golfer.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Baltusrol? Savage...105 sure isn't bad on that course. I played Whistling Straits the year before the first PGA was held there, in my active playing days when I carried a 15ish handicap, and it ate my lunch. I shot 106 there. I easily lost ten strokes due to lack of familiarity with the course - there's hidden pot bunkers all over the place. Loved the greens - they were fast, but really true.

Most fun I had at a championship course was at University Ridge, which is just north of Madison, WI. It's hosted a LPGA event. Had a foursome of women in front of us playing from the black tees, which was generating some disparaging comments from a couple of the guys from the three foursomes we had. The comments ended when the first woman crushed her drive about 275 yards perfectly placed - and this was in the late 1990s, before a lot of the club revolution. We caught up to them on a par three that had been backed up, and one of the women was Nikki Tiziani - who, among us, would be better known as Mrs. Steve Stricker. Really, really nice person and a very, very good golfer.
    Never got to play University Ridge. I heard it is beautiful. I hope to take a customer there some day, so I can write it off.

Never got to play University Ridge. I heard it is beautiful. I hope to take a customer there some day, so I can write it off.
    Highly recommended - last I played it was 15 years ago, but I've heard it's still in great shape. Usually has great fall rates, so if the weather holds, might want to get it in this year.