Anyone Golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Golf?

I like to play Golf. I am usually in the low to mid 90's.

Anyone else play?

I played when I was in college. Never got below 120. I suck.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I am the Benjamin Button of golf.

I shot a 78 when I was 16 (on a par 72 course), after starting playing when I was about 12.

I never broke 80 again, but I was in the low 80s while playing HS varsity golf (catnip to the gals!).

was in the 80s for several years, climbing a couple of strokes a year.

by the time I got a 190-yard hole-in-one at age 33, I needed to par the last hole to break 90 (and did).

Also around this time, I chipped on the last hole for eagle to give our "scramble" group the charity pro-am title with a 13-under par 59 (LPGA Tour pro in each group). I missed another hole-in-one by two inches that day (after yelling "kick right!" my tee shot hit a sprinkler head and made a laser-like route to the hole) and hit two flagstick with mid-irons for easy birdies.

I ran through the 90s by the time I was 40, not playing much.

I was down to a round or two a year not long after that, and couldn't break 100 (or possibly 110).

last few years, I was too busy and other things to play at all.

now this osteoarthritis in my hands, it doesn't bother me in real life (other than never getting hand-modeling job callbacks, lol) but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to smack the ball.

hey, I had a good run.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I also started at 12 and by the time I was 16, I was shooting 73-75 for 18 holes (par 72).

Averaged 38.1 per 9 nine holes during my last two seasons of high school golf.

Starting playing softball in college and completely destroyed my swing.

Now, my goal is to break 45 for nine holes or 90 for 18 holes.

It's fun to play plus my wife plays so we can go out and play on Sunday afternoons in the summer.

Comment

Going on four years now since I've swung the clubs. Due to health issues, my distance running days are likely dead, so I may well pull them out and start again this year. Best handicap was 12 many years ago, was hanging around bogey golf when I quit playing.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

seeing a chancellor post makes me feel like it's 2003 or 2006 or 2010 so again.
            I liked that place

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I've "played" golf. I say it that way because I've never been very good, and can't ever see where the ball goes when I hit it, even if straight. But I find it fun, as long as I don't play with someone who gets upset at my suckiness.

I did once chip in from 40 yards to win a soda. It was important.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I started playing at age 20, and while I was never able to hit a driver, I always played well (mid 90s). When I started taking clients to play, I took short-game lessons and got to be very good. One client, I'll never forget, said I had "the best short game he had ever seen." I remember that day -- client tourney at St. Davids CC in Villanova, PA -- and I never missed a green, and even won closest to the pin. But once I got married and left that company, I rarely played. Now, I'm a total embarrassment on the course. Last time I played, a friend asked me to play with him (with a $120 greens fee, no less), and I couldn't even hit the ball. I gave up after about 14 holes.

Comment

I am getting the bug. The earliest I have played in Illinois was two years ago when we got in a round on the last day of March.

I do not like to play unless it is at least 50 degrees. Spring 50 seems warmer than Fall 50.

Comment

Have played 8 weeks in my league so far this year. We play 4 different 9 hole layouts at the same course.

I have shot a low of 39 and a high of 44. I'm pretty consistent in the 40-42 range. I rarely go below a 39, but almost never go above 45.

Of all the sports I have played, I enjoy golf the most. Nothing like being out on the course on a clear blue sunny day!!
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

No one???
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

so if you check in on the US Open on Father's Day tomorrow, I am in 2nd place in my golf pool (19 events down, 13 to go) - and a LOT of money and standings are at stake tomorrow. seeking:

- I've got Rickie Fowler, who is 2 shots back. a win for him would easily vault me into 1st place.

- failing that, the leader has contenders Justin Thomas and Snedeker so feel to use your NOONAN (Caddyshack joke) on either of them. Thomas's -9 today is the lowest round in US Open history.

- Koepka was picked by 2 guys within striking distance, so let's whammy him as well.

- if none of these guys finish in the top 3, then it's not that big a deal.

if you missed the first 3 rounds, Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, and Rory McIlroy missed the cut by multiple shots. Phil missed out because his daughter is graduating as valedictorian in CA.

other missed cuts include Justin Rose, Adam Scott, Stenson, Schwartzel, Bubba Watson, Graeme McDowell, Rahm, Jimmy Walker, Dufner, etc. is 1st Tour event played at a new Wisconsin course, and hijinks have ensued.

no one in the top 15 has every won a major, either. but now you have a guy to root for - and a few to root against!

oh, the leader is a lefty, if that helps. not that kind, Sports Bar - he tees off left-handed (as did I).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I found the US Open rather boring. I like it when the pros have to deal with maximum adversity for at least one tournament per year. This was just like any other PGA tour event.

That being said, Keopka is a beast. Dude just killed it long and straight. Let's see if he has enough game to become a consistent winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            I found the US Open rather boring. I like it when the pros have to deal with maximum adversity for at least one tournament per year. This was just like any other PGA tour event.
                            too true. Koepka was great, but he didn't have any more challenges than he would in a typical Tour event.
                            I have 2 Koepka picks left; most rivals only have one, so there's that.

two monster weeks by rivals of $6M and $7M in a league where after 20 weeks now four of us are around $16-18M TOTAL. two newcomers to the dance.

would be like two teams picking up 15-20 points in the same weekend to grab the lead and third place out of nowhere (thanks to picking top finishers and double money for a major).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              too true. Koepka was great, but he didn't have any more challenges than he would in a typical Tour event.
                              I have 2 Koepka picks left; most rivals only have one, so there's that.

two monster weeks by rivals of $6M and $7M in a league where after 20 weeks now four of us are around $16-18M TOTAL. two newcomers to the dance.

would be like two teams picking up 15-20 points in the same weekend to grab the lead and third place out of nowhere (thanks to picking top finishers and double money for a major).
                              Do you golf at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X