The New Norm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Norm

So this morning I awake to a incessant ringing of the doorbell followed by a banging and i rush down to see what could be so urgent and...........It was my neighbor who then started to lecture me about landscaping maintenance and property values. Keep in mind we just had two days of 50+ MPH winds in Vegas and leaves are everywhere........Then he tells me to get a landscaper because you people (liberals) love illegals.

So is this the New Norm, where bigoted, white men think they can now dictate to everyone how life should be lived? That it's ok to speak in an openly bigoted manner and force their views on others with the expectations those being spoken to should comply? I'm not shocked or surprised or even disappointed, I'm just wondering where the push back comes from and when it will happen.

For me and my great neighbor it will be swift, or as soon as I can because I am going to take his advice, but it might takes some time because I have a very specific type of landscaper I'd like to hire so......If any of you know a Muslim, LGBT, landscaper of color who does good work in dolphin shorts while blasting 80's disco in the Vegas area or even close (I'll pay for travel) ..please give me their number as I'd like to keep property values up on this house I'm renting.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

i think ppl would complain about my yard but for all i know there is a rumor i was roaming the neighborhood with a machete one night. i don't know where they got that idea.

Comment

So Gwynn -
        Because your neighbor was free to speak in his bigoted unfiltered manner - you now know he is that. If he had to speak in some culturally sensitive politically correct language you may never have found this out. You are better off knowing and can act accordingly.

I dont know any landscapers.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          So this morning I awake to a incessant ringing of the doorbell followed by a banging and i rush down to see what could be so urgent and...........It was my neighbor who then started to lecture me about landscaping maintenance and property values. Keep in mind we just had two days of 50+ MPH winds in Vegas and leaves are everywhere........Then he tells me to get a landscaper because you people (liberals) love illegals.

So is this the New Norm, where bigoted, white men think they can now dictate to everyone how life should be lived? That it's ok to speak in an openly bigoted manner and force their views on others with the expectations those being spoken to should comply? I'm not shocked or surprised or even disappointed, I'm just wondering where the push back comes from and when it will happen.

For me and my great neighbor it will be swift, or as soon as I can because I am going to take his advice, but it might takes some time because I have a very specific type of landscaper I'd like to hire so......If any of you know a Muslim, LGBT, landscaper of color who does good work in dolphin shorts while blasting 80's disco in the Vegas area or even close (I'll pay for travel) ..please give me their number as I'd like to keep property values up on this house I'm renting.
          It is not the new norm.

Comment

Rake/blow the leaves on his property.
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

It's only the new norm if you accept it. Griff is right that it's better that you know though his tone of how it's bad to speak in a politically correct manner is rather off putting. People get all bend out of shape over the PC culture but it's there for a reason. Be polite and respectful, why is that so hard for people to do these days?
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

People should be nice - but dont mandate the PC bs.....
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  So Gwynn -
                  Because your neighbor was free to speak in his bigoted unfiltered manner - you now know he is that. If he had to speak in some culturally sensitive politically correct language you may never have found this out. You are better off knowing and can act accordingly.

I dont know any landscapers.
                  I usually don;t need such blatant examples to figure things like that out. I'd spoken with him before about property values and he thought I owned the house so he parsed his words, though I knew his leanings (pretty easy read)

It wasn't until after he found out I was only a "renter" and a democrat did he feel empowered to be such a dick in public.

That's ok, I answered pretty clearly that #1 I will do what I chose to and on my timeline. #2 He was more than welcome to pay for a landscaper, but they'd tend the yard to my specifications. #3 If he'd handled it differently I would most likely had done what he asked. #4 If he EVER banged on my door like he did again, I'd have the police issue a trespass order on him and put him in jail next time he stepped foot on my property.

Then I took all the leaves in my driveway (and there were a lot) and scattered them on MY yard right up to the property line.

Today I looked over and shouted Howdy Neighbor!
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                    People should be nice - but dont mandate the PC bs.....
                    I don;t think anyone has advocated mandating it. Have you seen that here?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I usually don;t need such blatant examples to figure things like that out. I'd spoken with him before about property values and he thought I owned the house so he parsed his words, though I knew his leanings (pretty easy read)

It wasn't until after he found out I was only a "renter" and a democrat did he feel empowered to be such a dick in public.

That's ok, I answered pretty clearly that #1 I will do what I chose to and on my timeline. #2 He was more than welcome to pay for a landscaper, but they'd tend the yard to my specifications. #3 If he'd handled it differently I would most likely had done what he asked. #4 If he EVER banged on my door like he did again, I'd have the police issue a trespass order on him and put him in jail next time he stepped foot on my property.

Then I took all the leaves in my driveway (and there were a lot) and scattered them on MY yard right up to the property line.

Today I looked over and shouted Howdy Neighbor!
                      While this is a fun read and many (including me) are thinking about revenge (and I have some doozies) or "how to teach him a lesson," it is not the way to peace.

The peace you want comes from healing, grace, love, servanthood. It does not come naturally or easily. Most of us would rather have justice than peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        While this is a fun read and many (including me) are thinking about revenge (and I have some doozies) or "how to teach him a lesson," it is not the way to peace.

The peace you want comes from healing, grace, love, servanthood. It does not come naturally or easily. Most of us would rather have justice than peace.
                        I'd answer that some people don't deserve peace but all deserve justice.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'd answer that some people don't deserve peace but all deserve justice.
                          The issue then becomes who is the authority that decides who gets the justice and what that justice is?

Comment

The issue then becomes who is the authority that decides who gets the justice and what that justice is?
                            a Justice of the Peace?

sorry, I couldn't resist.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'd say it depends on the transgression, but I believe we are all judged every day in most respects of our lives so Justice is meted out all the time by all sorts of authority.

So being a dick about leaves in my yard? Warrants more leaves in my yard!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X