*** VD 12 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, I hate these end game mindfucks.

I can't see a way to sneak into the top 3. I should definitely not have kept my WC until the last pick where I need to double check every goddamn pitcher in the history of everything.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I have a sneaking suspicion that my pick was A) not the best one, and B ) going to screw someone's place in the final standings.

Sorry gang!

Two more picks until I relinquish the title of VD champ. It's ok. I'll always be the king of VD to your moms.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I think your best pick was Jim Bunning, but only by a few tenths of a point over Roberts. I didn't see a way for you to pass DMT for third place.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• It looks like either of those (but not Sutter) move me ahead of Revo for 5th, not that anyone but the two of us care about that. For what little ability I have to project picks, I'm glad I got correct that neither you nor Revo would take a closer and that you didn't have a good choice that wouldn't give me a point in BY WHIP; it happened to work out that you also took a point from revo in BY SO and not from me.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I think your best pick was Jim Bunning, but only by a few tenths of a point over Roberts. I didn't see a way for you to pass DMT for third place.
            I think I had the wrong pick for Controller J, which made the Roberts pick moderately better. I also just kinda guessed for Heyelander without really looking into it much.

Comment

• Ok since i don’t really do other people’s pick projections was there ever a time later in the draft that I went the wrong way and could have won?

Comment

• You should have just put a hit out on the robot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  You should have just put a hit out on the robot.
                  He’s a machine that’s for sure. I have gotten better at balancing letter value and getting the stats i need, but the next draft we do I could easily finish last.

Comment

• I am somewhat surprised that Sutter went undrafted. For a while I thought I might take him. Then I thought frae would take him, but Chapman ended up being a little better. I thought El Beneficient One might take him, too, but a starting pitcher was better.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I am somewhat surprised that Sutter went undrafted. For a while I thought I might take him. Then I thought frae would take him, but Chapman ended up being a little better. I thought El Beneficient One might take him, too, but a starting pitcher was better.
                      I considered him as well.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                        Ok since i don’t really do other people’s pick projections was there ever a time later in the draft that I went the wrong way and could have won?
                        Not so far as I know. I did have you in first for a while in my projections, but my pulling ahead of you in my projections was more about me finding better picks for myself (e.g., Lolich over Lidge) than it was about you doing anything suboptimal. Late in the draft I was well ahead of you in pretty much every permutation I ran.

Comment

• I do think you might have done better with using your P on Dave Parker and another weaker letter (e.g., IUZ) on a pitcher. When I took Dave Parker, that was partly to prevent you from getting him.

In theory, Parker was pretty close to Puckett and Pinson in value on a generic team, but on both of our teams he seemed to help us quite a bit more than the other P options.

Comment

• I have El Bene as the #3 with the Roberts pick over Sutter, who I initially had projected for him. The Roberts pick knocks me from 3rd to 5th (assuming I have the next two picks right).

The problem with projecting picks is that if you get a few key ones wrong, it could convince you to take the wrong player/combo.I was going to take Sutter with Altuve, but my projections convinced me to take Sandberg + Appier. Oh well!

Comment

I do think you might have done better with using your P on Dave Parker and another weaker letter (e.g., IUZ) on a pitcher. When I took Dave Parker, that was partly to prevent you from getting him.

In theory, Parker was pretty close to Puckett and Pinson in value on a generic team, but on both of our teams he seemed to help us quite a bit more than the other P options.
                              Thanks I was never sure when to pull the trigger on P. Sort of felt boxed in to Price when I settled on him. Oh well it was a good run. Congrats.

Comment

• BTW, Cal Ripken gives MJL a 4.8pt boost over Vern Stephens in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X