Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no:

Washington (CNN)Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had two malignant nodules removed from her left lung Friday at a New York hospital, the Supreme Court announced.

There is no evidence of any remaining disease, says a court spokesperson, nor is there evidence of disease elsewhere in the body.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Oh no:

Washington (CNN)Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had two malignant nodules removed from her left lung Friday at a New York hospital, the Supreme Court announced.

There is no evidence of any remaining disease, says a court spokesperson, nor is there evidence of disease elsewhere in the body.
      I love her and am obviously pulling for her, but I can't help but wish she had retired during the Obama Administration given her age and medical history.

Comment

• This speaks to the need for a mandatory retirement age or a set term length for SC justices. She is very obviously past her sell by date and should have allowed Obama to pick her replacement. Now she has to soldier on until 2020 and hope Trump (or another GOP candidate) loses. Not a good look.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Oh no:

Hope she recovers, but I sure wish I had her quality health care...
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
            This speaks to the need for a mandatory retirement age or a set term length for SC justices. She is very obviously past her sell by date and should have allowed Obama to pick her replacement. Now she has to soldier on until 2020 and hope Trump (or another GOP candidate) loses. Not a good look.
            Agreed. Term limits on Congress as well.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              HOLY SHIT!! 2 in one day!! Now I have to
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I fully support Congressional term limits. I think probably 25% of our countries problems would be fixed immediately with term limits

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  HOLY SHIT!! 2 in one day!! Now I have to
                  We're on a roll...
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

This speaks to the need for a mandatory retirement age or a set term length for SC justices. She is very obviously past her sell by date and should have allowed Obama to pick her replacement. Now she has to soldier on until 2020 and hope Trump (or another GOP candidate) loses. Not a good look.
                    The New Jersey Supreme Court has a mandatory retirement age of 70. I think that's reasonable, or maybe even 75, but yes, I do think that a mandatory retirement age should be considered. Even with other federal offices, why do we have minimum age requirements for House, Senate and President but not maximum? There's probably more scientific support for a maximum age of, say, 75, than there is for a minimum age of 35 or 30.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      The New Jersey Supreme Court has a mandatory retirement age of 70. I think that's reasonable, or maybe even 75, but yes, I do think that a mandatory retirement age should be considered. Even with other federal offices, why do we have minimum age requirements for House, Senate and President but not maximum? There's probably more scientific support for a maximum age of, say, 75, than there is for a minimum age of 35 or 30.
                      If everyone would take their partisan glasses off and take an objective look at the Kavanaugh hearings, regardless of what side you were on, watching Grassley’s inability to read and Feinstein’s almost total reliance on her staff to tell her what to say, was disheartening. Their best days are clearly behind them and they should no longer be making laws.
                      For an even better example, take a look at Robert Byrd or Strom Thurmand’s last couple of years in office. Absolutely brutal by any rational measure, even if you fully, completely and whole heartedly agree with their politics.
                      Sadly, I can’t see Congress voting in term limits on themselves, even if the people that elect them are in favor of it.

Comment

If everyone would take their partisan glasses off and take an objective look at the Kavanaugh hearings, regardless of what side you were on, watching Grassley’s inability to read and Feinstein’s almost total reliance on her staff to tell her what to say, was disheartening. Their best days are clearly behind them and they should no longer be making laws.
                        For an even better example, take a look at Robert Byrd or Strom Thurmand’s last couple of years in office. Absolutely brutal by any rational measure, even if you fully, completely and whole heartedly agree with their politics.
                        Sadly, I can’t see Congress voting in term limits on themselves, even if the people that elect them are in favor of it.
                        I view term limits and mandatory retirement ages as two distinct things with different justifications. Mandatory retirement age is to guard against critical policy making by those with significantly diminished faculties. Term limits are to guard against entrenchment/capture by special interests and to drive new blood/ideas and leadership pipelines for continuous renewal. I have very mixed feelings about both, I'll admit.

Comment

I really don't feel strongly either way, because I don't see how term limits or mandatory retirement would improve the governing process. The older legislators, like Feinstein or Corker or Hatch, are much more moderate and willing to compromise to get things done, compared to the younger group like Devin Nunes and Jim Jordan. Would replacing Bob Corker with Marsha Blackburn or replacing an old guy like John McCain with Martha McSally have been an improvement? I don't see it.

Comment

• Term limits in my mind will make it more difficult for "big business" to get their hooks into the various reps and senators. Not sure if it creates more polarity or centrism.
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Yes, please.
                              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                70 is too low, but 75 or 80 certainly.

What are the minimum ages for House and Senate?

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X