Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    See, chancellor, I honestly hate this sh!t. Why would you love seeing approximately half of your fellow Americans in despair? I don' think I've ever in my life expressed the sentiment that I love seeing conservative despair.
    Then you're a better/stronger person that most of the rest of us. Dont think for a second your fellow liberals wouldnt be loving the reaction from the right if your side were getting ready to install Kennedy's replacement.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      Then you're a better/stronger person that most of the rest of us. Dont think for a second your fellow liberals wouldnt be loving the reaction from the right if your side were getting ready to install Kennedy's replacement.
      I'd be happy for substantive reasons if Democrats were replacing Scalia and Kennedy, not out of some sadistic sense of joy at seeing conservatives despair. I really hate that.

Comment

I'd be happy for substantive reasons if Democrats were replacing Scalia and Kennedy, not out of some sadistic sense of joy at seeing conservatives despair. I really hate that.
        But liberals despair so well (I made myself laugh, so sorry if this offends, it is not meant to, it is only meant to provide some levity)!
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Interesting take on SCOTUS appointment from 538 in regards to moderate Democrats who are up in the fall for re-election.

There are a handful of these moderate Democrats to keep an eye on. When the president’s first Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch, was confirmed by the Senate in April 2017, three Democrats crossed party lines to vote for him: Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Joe Donnelly of Indiana. Trump won in each of their states, and each senator is up for re-election in the fall in a race rated as a toss-up by The Cook Political Report. There are two other Democratic senators who face similar toss-up races in 2018 but voted against Gorsuch’s nomination: Bill Nelson of Florida and Claire McCaskill of Missouri. Nelson was thought to be worried about drawing a primary challenge from the left if he voted for Gorsuch, and McCaskill reportedly agonized over her decision before casting a vote against Gorsuch. In the year since the Gorsuch vote, the Senate has added one more Democratic moderate whose next election is looming on the horizon: Doug Jones of Alabama, who faces re-election in 2020.
          https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ats-in-a-bind/
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
            But liberals despair so well (I made myself laugh, so sorry if this offends, it is not meant to, it is only meant to provide some levity)!
            Look, I'm not "offended", just saddened by the extent to which American political discourse today is so heavily dominated by joy-taking in the despair, fear, anxiety, humiliation and 'losing' of others. It's pretty f'd up and sadistic. And it's certainly not exclusive to the right, although they're clearly overrepresented on this front since Trump's electoral victory. I just really hate to see it from conservatives whose substantive policy arguments I generally respect.

Comment

Look, I'm not "offended", just saddened by the extent to which American political discourse today is so heavily dominated by joy-taking in the despair, fear, anxiety, humiliation and 'losing' of others. It's pretty f'd up and sadistic. And it's certainly not exclusive to the right, although they're clearly overrepresented on this front since Trump's electoral victory. I just really hate to see it from conservatives whose substantive policy arguments I generally respect.
              In all seriousness, I agree with you. No one should take joy in another’s despair.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

In all seriousness, I agree with you. No one should take joy in another’s despair.
                too bad we cant go back to posts from late 2008 to late 2010. You'd see a lot of joy over republicans despair.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

too bad we cant go back to posts from late 2008 to late 2010. You'd see a lot of joy over republicans despair.
                  Oh, I recall! I was a GWB 43 and Scott Walker supporter, both very unpopular positions around here. I hated, still hate, the name calling. But I rarely waded into the fray back then because there was just no redeemable point. Maybe that wasn’t such a bad way to think, now that I think about it! But, I didn’t like it then, and I don’t particularly like it now.
                  Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-28-2018, 10:59 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Dude, man up and break the cycle.

Comment

This is fair and I agree. But to be real fair, you’ll need to make sure this message is clearly delivered to both sides in here.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I did express joy over Kennedy retiring but I dont remember expressing joy over democrats despair. Did I?

Comment

I did express joy over Kennedy retiring but I dont remember expressing joy over democrats despair. Did I?
                          Not initially, you've just been defending or "whatabouting" the joy-taking in Democrats/liberals despair since I raised the issue. #bebest

Comment

This is fair and I agree. But to be real fair, you’ll need to make sure this message is clearly delivered to both sides in here.
                            I think I have generally done this as well as trying to lead by example, but please call me out if/when I slip.

Comment

I think I have generally done this as well as trying to lead by example, but please call me out if/when I slip.
                              Wasn’t meaning to call you out. You are a very example to follow. It was my passive aggressive attempt to reach the larger audience in here. there are several posters, hey I may even be one, who have shown limited ability to be self aware of thier inflammatory statements and posts and then when called on it they can play victim pretty quickly.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Everybody wants to go back in history to precisely the moment when their tribe was being victimized by the other tribe at their worst, and start their blame narrative from that point. That gets us nowhere.

We now have a nomination process so badly broken that, from here forward, both parties will nominate Supreme Court justices as extreme as their numbers will allow, completely excluding input and buy-in from the other side. That should cause anyone who cares more about their country than their party to despair.

Advise and consent needs to be restored. From where we are now, I can't see the path back to that. Every nominee rammed through this broken system on a partisan vote makes the climb steeper.

I am absolutely in despair over this whole mess. For anyone who enjoys that, party on.
                                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                                X