Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Is that who your avatar is B-Fly? I always wondered who your avatar was.
    LOL, no, my avatar is Ziyi Zhang, best known from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. She was my favorite actress about a decade ago and I've just stuck with the avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      LOL, no, my avatar is Ziyi Zhang, best known from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. She was my favorite actress about a decade ago and I've just stuck with the avatar.
      Ah, yeah, just looked up Victoria Justice and she'd be way too young to be your avatar from back in the day. I see it now--I loved her in CT, HD. That was a great movie.

Comment

Victoria Justice?
        skinny, but still cute. Give her a few Big Macs...
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Halle Berry?

too obscure?

How long ago ???
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Here is a list based on one published last November. Trump's nomination is likely included.
            Amy Coney Barrett of Indiana, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
            Keith Blackwell of Georgia, Supreme Court of Georgia
            Charles Canady of Florida, Supreme Court of Florida
            Steven Colloton of Iowa, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
            Allison Eid of Colorado, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
            Britt Grant of Georgia, Supreme Court of Georgia
            Raymond Gruender of Missouri, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
            Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
            Brett Kavanaugh of Maryland, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
            Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
            Joan Larsen of Michigan, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
            Mike Lee of Utah, United States Senator
            Thomas Lee of Utah, Supreme Court of Utah
            Edward Mansfield of Iowa, Supreme Court of Iowa
            Federico Moreno of Florida, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
            Kevin Newsom of Alabama, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
            William Pryor of Alabama, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
            Margaret Ryan of Virginia, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
            David Stras of Minnesota, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
            Diane Sykes of Wisconsin, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
            Amul Thapar of Kentucky, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
            Timothy Tymkovich of Colorado, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
            Robert Young of Michigan, Supreme Court of Michigan (Ret.)
            Don Willett of Texas, Supreme Court of Texas
            Patrick Wyrick of Oklahoma, Supreme Court of Oklahoma

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Who is youngest ones on that list? I think they go with a young judge again, to maximize the impact of the pick.

Comment

Can the Democrats push the comfirmation off until the election? They are minority party in both houses but I don't know if there is a procedural manuever they can use to delay the vote. I would imagine, if the Democrats can't delay a vote, that the nominee will be named quickly and voted upon before the election just in case the Democrats are able to claim a majority. I need to write to Hatch and remind him there is a vote coming up so he shouldn't push for a nominee to be named.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                  Can the Democrats push the comfirmation off until the election? They are minority party in both houses but I don't know if there is a procedural manuever they can use to delay the vote. I would imagine, if the Democrats can't delay a vote, that the nominee will be named quickly and voted upon before the election just in case the Democrats are able to claim a majority. I need to write to Hatch and remind him there is a vote coming up so he shouldn't push for a nominee to be named.
                  Sorry to crush your hopes, but not a chance. McConnell has already made it clear he’ll use the nuclear option if needed to get a SCOTUS justice approved.

Oh, and I’m loving the despair on the left. Toobin of CNN and Millhiser of Think Progress have been hilarious so far.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Who is youngest ones on that list? I think they go with a young judge again, to maximize the impact of the pick.
                    I doubt that, but I thnk you can eliminate anyone over 60. Several of these are in the 45-55 range. Most likely it will be one of them.

Can the Democrats push the comfirmation off until the election?
                    I'll second what chancellor said. The final vote will be this fall.

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Oh, and I’m loving the despair on the left. Toobin of CNN and Millhiser of Think Progress have been hilarious so far.
                    I don't have cable anymore, but this stands to reason. Brian is desparing and he's one of ours.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Sorry to crush your hopes, but not a chance. McConnell has already made it clear he’ll use the nuclear option if needed to get a SCOTUS justice approved.

Yeah, bottom line is pretty simple here, McConnell is going to ramrod this thing through. BEFORE the next election...there's little that can be done about it save a Hail Mary from McCain and another GOP senator, if I understand my nomination process correctly.

What the Dems need to do now is to laser focus on the mid-terms and 2020. Don't allow the lower courts to be packed with Trump appointees, and hope that whoever is the new Supco justice isn't an ideology. End of the day, as Brian said, Kennedy is no great loss for the liberal side...his record in these recent votes shows that.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I hope you don't love the fact that the nomination process has been effectively burned to the ground. This is not how it's supposed to work.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          I hope you don't love the fact that the nomination process has been effectively burned to the ground. This is not how it's supposed to work.
                          yes, it's absurd that you can't have a vote on a SCOTUS nominee a year before a Presidential election, but can rush one through in a midterm election year. they can and will do it, but it stinks to high heaven.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Read that it could happen. If the Senate doesn't have a quorum they can't vote. If McCain doesn't show up and all Dems don't show up there couldn't be a vote, subject to rules interpretation on whether the VP would be a voter. But talk about nuclear options. I would like to think no one would pull this stunt.

Just saw Hatch on tv. When told an election is coming up he said "Not a presidential election", when told 31 Senate seats are up and the Senate could flip to Dem he said "So what" and chuckled. I am so glad he is out soon.

Comment

See, chancellor, I honestly hate this sh!t. Why would you love seeing approximately half of your fellow Americans in despair? I don' think I've ever in my life expressed the sentiment that I love seeing conservative despair.

Comment

A day later, I'll try to put my most optimistic spin on this. I don't think Americans want to see the government back in American bedrooms, so I think even if Kennedy is replaced by an extreme-right conservative, the Court would not go so far as to allow states to pass or enforce laws re-criminalizing sodomy, for example, or banning the sale or distribution of contraception. So Lawrence v Texas and Griswold v Connecticut should be largely safe precedent at this point in American history. Obergfell v Hodges, the case requiring all states to allow same-sex marriage, is more at risk, but I am hopeful that the relative peace with which same-sex marriage has been implemented and accepted leaves us in a place where even Roberts and Gorsuch would be loathe to overturn it. It wouldn't surprise me, given the passion evident in Kennedy's Obergfell opinion and his public comments about it subsequently, if Kennedy discussed and sought assurances from Gorsuch, his former clerk, and the Chief Justice, that they would not overturn it. I hope so, at least. I think the narrow ruling in Masterpiece Cakeshop will probably now get broader with a rightward Court shift, allowing private individuals/professionals/business owners to refuse goods or services that could be viewed as facilitating or endorsing same-sex marriage, but I don't think the Court (or the American people) will support denying goods or services to homosexuals (married or otherwise) unrelated to the "sacrament" of marriage, e.g., I don't think they'd let a hotel owner refuse a king-bed room to a gay couple. We'll see. As for Roe v. Wade, I dunno. I kind of feel like it's already been rolled back so dramatically over the years that I'd like to hope that the Court would view overturning Roe in its entirety as a step too far. While I certainly expect they'll permit states to pass lots of obstacles, hurdles, red tape and restrictions around abortion (since they've already been doing so), I hope...tenuously, but I hope...that they will not allow states to criminalize or otherwise ban abortion outright, at least not in the first or (dare I hope) second trimester. Poor women seeking abortion services will certainly be screwed out of government funding/support for free or low-cost abortion services, but they pretty much already are. Private charity will need to pick up the slack as the federal and state government try to make the abortion-services business as difficult as possible to sustain.

Comment

Working...
                                X