Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 2016 Post-Season Thread

Better late than never!

Congrats to the Cubbies on the biggest elimination game comeback in MLB history!

Of the five teams remaining,we have:

Cubs- last title 1908
    Dodgers- last title 1988
    Nationals- last title xxxx

Indians- last title 1948
    Blue Jays- last title 1993

I'm a lifelong Dodger fan. I was 18 the last time we won a championship. I'm now 46!

the older we get, the more we appreciate deserving fan bases ending droughts.

I root for which fan base has suffered longer
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Better late than never!

Congrats to the Cubbies on the biggest elimination game comeback in MLB history!

Cubs- last title 1908
      Dodgers- last title 1988

Indians- last title 1948

I'm a lifelong Dodger fan. I was 18 the last time we won a championship. I'm now 46!
      Last (and only) MLB title for the city of Washington was 1924. Last WS appearance was 1933.

Possible WS storylines:
      - Indians vs. Cubs - the team in each league that has gone the longest w/o a WS title
      - Jays vs. Nats - present Canadian franchise vs. former Canadian franchise
      - Indians vs. Dodgers - rematch of 1920 WS (the first post-BlackSox series) (Indians won)

Personally, if my team is not in, I dont care who wins the WS. I just want to see exciting, well-played games. It would be nice if the Cubs finally won, but if they went another 100 years w/o winning I really wouldnt care.

The Giants' collapse was epic. I feel sorry for them but that sorta takes some of the sting out of my O's failure. We lost in kind of a bad way, too, but it pales in comparison. Modern end-of-game pitching management has a long way to go IMO. Moore was unhittable but was removed w/o reason other than pitch count (120) and the unwritten "automatic removal for save situation" rule. Moore retired the side 1-2-3 in the 8th so despite the pitch count he wasnt tiring. The way it used be, if the starter was pitching very effectively, he was allowed to start the 9th and came out only if a rally got started.

Comment

I'm really rooting for the Indians and Cubs...

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
          I'm really rooting for the Indians and Cubs...
          Same for me!!!

I never seen a tribe win.
          When they went to 2 WS in 90's I was just happy for that - now I want a win esp after going through the Joy of the Cavs Title.
          Parade number 2 Baby!!!!!!!!

Year of Believeland!!!!!

Comment

I'm a displaced Royals fan. The last time they won was, uh... Never mind, they dumbs___s didn't even make the playoffs.

J

PS It's no coincidence I dropped the hit.
            PPS Did Mike ever say how it felt to be an old Royals fan working for another club?
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Did Chapman just earn a $20M per year offer from the Giants? Probably not worth it but after last night they will throw $$ at some free agent reliever.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                Last (and only) MLB title for the city of Washington was 1924. Last WS appearance was 1933.

Possible WS storylines:
                - Indians vs. Cubs - the team in each league that has gone the longest w/o a WS title
                - Jays vs. Nats - present Canadian franchise vs. former Canadian franchise
                - Indians vs. Dodgers - rematch of 1920 WS (the first post-BlackSox series) (Indians won)

Personally, if my team is not in, I dont care who wins the WS. I just want to see exciting, well-played games. It would be nice if the Cubs finally won, but if they went another 100 years w/o winning I really wouldnt care.

The Giants' collapse was epic. I feel sorry for them but that sorta takes some of the sting out of my O's failure. We lost in kind of a bad way, too, but it pales in comparison. Modern end-of-game pitching management has a long way to go IMO. Moore was unhittable but was removed w/o reason other than pitch count (120) and the unwritten "automatic removal for save situation" rule. Moore retired the side 1-2-3 in the 8th so despite the pitch count he wasnt tiring. The way it used be, if the starter was pitching very effectively, he was allowed to start the 9th and came out only if a rally got started.
                In fairness he did throw 6 balls in a row without a strike. I might have gotten a bit jumpy if was managing. Really easy in hindsight to say what shoulda coulda...

Comment

Go Cubs Go!!

Comment

Did anyone know that the Cubs own the record for most wins in a 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10 year period? The records are 116, 223, 322, 530, and 986. Tinkers to Evers to Chance.

J
                    Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-12-2016, 02:00 PM.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

in less than 24 hours I got to experience my most dramatic in-person victory and my most crushing in-person loss. I have no problem with Bochy lifting Moore, it was clear he was struggling, and your bullpen should be able to give you the win when you hand them a clean inning up 3 runs. If it wasn't last night, it would have been Thursday, or next week vs Washington, you aren't a world series team if you can't close out games.

Giants need to re-tool their bullpen and get a left fielder. Both are "easy" fixes, SP is fine, IF is fine.....
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Gotta love those 1 hour and 6 minute seventh innings with a one run lead in an elimination game.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

you put your hammer in when the game is on the line, Larry Baer just sent all the SFG season ticket holders an email expressing that the offseason priority is getting some hammers, not to be greedy, but I'd like a LF as well
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

this has been one heckuva post season so far!
                            Last edited by TranaGreg; 10-14-2016, 07:50 AM.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Better late than never!

Cubs- last title 1908
                              Dodgers- last title 1988

Indians- last title 1948

wow, so of the illustrious teams in the final four (seriously - Dodgers, Cubs, Indians), the team to last win a World Series was ... the Jays?!?!? we feel like we've been waiting far too long ... but I guess it's all relative.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X