random stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random stuff

today's birthdays: Leonard Cohen and Stephen King.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    today's birthdays: Leonard Cohen and Stephen King.
    They don't post here much anymore.

Comment

I like peas.

Comment

Nightshift is a great collection of Stephen King short stories
        unfortunately Stephen King's books are usually just very, very, long short stories

Comment

I remember a great SNL weekend update routine where Dennis Miller interviewed Jon Lovitz as Stephen King ... throughout the interview his fingers were flying on a typewriter non-stop ... at the end Miller asks "King" what the new book is about - his response was something to the effect of - "I have no idea", he stops typing & starts reading ... "apparently it's about some guy ... "
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Seen on twitter a few days ago (paraphrasing) ...

God: so how are things going down there? Are the humans scared yet?
            Angel: not really, they're still doing all kinds of crazy shit.
            God: did you push the Trump thing like we talked about?
            Angel: yeah, all the way.
            God: what about the hurricanes - did you get them going?
            Angel: yep. still nothing.
            God: hmmmm ... okay then, send in the clowns.

Comment

on Indo-Pacific coral reefs there is a fish called the bluestriped fangblenny. they contain things called chromatophores that allow them to change pigment and adjust to better match the neighbors. coral reefs are like underwater cities for fish, as a result you will find many industrious guppies. most coral reefs have fish that at least set up makeshift car washes. and other fish will duly line up nice and orderly to be cleaned. the only cost is the parasites they want cleaned so it's a good deal everyone. what happens is the fangblenny pretends to be a bluestreak cleaner wrasse and then when a customer moves up it takes a chunk out of it. naturally this is bad for business and the cleaner fish eventually sort it out. it's a relatively rare fish, which allows it to go unnoticed at the car wash at first.

Comment

the largest organism in the world is a fungus in Oregon's Blue Mountains. it's 4 square miles big and perhaps as old as 8000 years.

Comment

ok how about dogs parachuting into jungles to catch poachers? what can't these animals do? and they're like, they hear the helicopter and start wagging their tails because they know they are going to work.

Comment

it's in our DNA, to save other species. to cooperate. it's just that our environment doesn't really allow it to be noticed as much right now. but you catch glimpses of it from time to time. a baby pig diving into a pool to save a baby goat. cats or dogs hit by a car but staying to try to revive it's peer. an orangutan rescuing a baby duck. a duck feeding fish. a dog trying to push water over stranded fish. it happens every day. everything in the world fighting for the right to survive while having these moments where they fight for more.

we're multi-celled organisms made up of single-celled organisms. and if single-celled ones took 3 billion years to become cooperative to make us, how long would it take us to return the favor. just by definition of our physiology, cooperation is in our genes. and some of the same genes in us are also in everything else. which is why occasionally you see with your own eye's something today that you wouldn't think would be possible. not yet at least. but you do catch glimpses of it. this altruism. like humpback whales mobbing orcas attacking another species of whales. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...mms.12343/full

as long as we establish that there can only be one technological species per planet. for the other primates using tools today, it just isn't there anymore. the pressure we put on them now will always prevent them from evolving into their potential. so we have to dig deeper to find a connection to who we are.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                      it's in our DNA, to save other species. to cooperate. it's just that our environment doesn't really allow it to be noticed as much right now. but you catch glimpses of it from time to time. a baby pig diving into a pool to save a baby goat. cats or dogs hit by a car but staying to try to revive it's peer. an orangutan rescuing a baby duck. a duck feeding fish. a dog trying to push water over stranded fish. it happens every day. everything in the world fighting for the right to survive while having these moments where they fight for more.

we're multi-celled organisms made up of single-celled organisms. and if single-celled ones took 3 billion years to become cooperative to make us, how long would it take us to return the favor. just by definition of our physiology, cooperation is in our genes. and some of the same genes in us are also in everything else. which is why occasionally you see with your own eye's something today that you wouldn't think would be possible. not yet at least. but you do catch glimpses of it. this altruism. like humpback whales mobbing orcas attacking another species of whales. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...mms.12343/full

as long as we establish that there can only be one technological species per planet. for the other primates using tools today, it just isn't there anymore. the pressure we put on them now will always prevent them from evolving into their potential. so we have to dig deeper to find a connection to who we are.
                      we could and should "uplift" them like in the David Brin novels
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I just realized something while overhearing a conversation - to people for whom english isn't their first language, the difference between "hash browns" and "hash brownies" is a subtle yet important one.

Comment

One time, at Band camp...
                          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            I just realized something while overhearing a conversation - to people for whom english isn't their first language, the difference between "hash browns" and "hash brownies" is a subtle yet important one.
                            I prefer brown hash
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

so i realize why im fucked up a little. i smoked pot before my brain fully developed. .. you're brain has things called GABA inhibitors in the prefrontal lobes. they prevent you from thinking too much. pot inhibits the inhibitors. why i never went schizophrenic i'll never know. but i got that going for me. if you don't go schizophrenic before you're 30 it'll never happen.

anyways, it did make me more intelligent. because i was thinking more than usual all the time. so bully for me. this is in contrast to alcohol, which makes you ignorant since it's a poison. so i suppose drinking alcohol before your brain develops is bad.

so if you think about it, pot makes your brain more active, yet it makes you mellow. so you're smarter but also calm.

alcohol makes your brain more ignorant but more angry.

google GABA receptors or inhibitors and you'll see what i mean. unless you're inclined to believe it's fakes news. which in that case there's probably no way to help you atm.

Comment

Working...
                              X