804 rbi
    885 rbi
    1826 hits

6 time all-star
    2009 MVP
    3 Gold Gloves
    5 Silver Sluggers
    3 time batting champion
    Yes, he'd get in if he retired right now.
    0%
    Yes, if he has 3-4 more seasons like 2012.
    0%
    Yes, as long as he plays a few more years and pads his counting stats.
    0%
    No, great career but not Hall of Fame level.
    0%
    No, not even close.
    0%

compare:

(one extra season, but 900 more AB)

.307/.358/.471
    222 HR
    1099 RBI
    1007 R
    2153 hits

6 time all-star
    one MVP, three more top-ten finishes (same as Mauer)
    9 Gold Gloves
    3 Silver Sluggers

127 OPS+ (Mauer 128)

Played in a major market
    Only broke 20% on HOF ballot on his first year of eligibility

Granted he wasn't a catcher, but if that guy didn't get in, I don't see how Mauer does
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      Granted he wasn't a catcher, but if that guy didn't get in, I don't see how Mauer does
      But you can't exclude that from the argument. There's no way that Gary Carter would've sniffed the HOF if he'd played first base. It's apples and oranges.

Comment

Not even close.

Comment

If he could've stayed behind the plate and put up perennial .300/.380/.400 lines he'd have a decent chance but now that he's fallen all the way down the defensive spectrum he would have to replicate his MVP year stats to get consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I don't think this is a reasonable stance to take. It's not even close to being "not even close", imo.

JAWS measures a player's Hall of Fame worthiness. Joe Mauer has the 9th highest JAWS score in the history of major league catchers - http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_C.shtml

Obviously he's at least close, for a catcher. But now he's not a catcher anymore so perhaps his counting stats should be dinged accordingly. Still, his career has essentially been that of Mickey Cochrane so far and that's really freakin' good for a catcher.
            compare to:
            .297/.365/.452 (129 OPS+)
            252 HR
            1185 RBI
            996 R
            2342 hits

9 time all-star
            one MVP
            one Gold Glove
            didn't have Silver Sluggers when he was playing, but he would have gotten some
            played 10 seasons at catcher (907 games vs Mauer's 920), then moved to CI
            7 more career WAR in 600ish more games
            got about 10% votes every year he was eligible except the last one, when he got 20%
            Last edited by mjl; 09-12-2016, 06:23 PM.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I say close, but no. But man, was he great for a good while there. If he could have stayed behind the plate, even just putting up the numbers he has been putting up at 1b/dh, I'd say he'd have been a HOFer.

Comment

No, once upon a time, he was as close to a lock as there was. Three time Batting champ, solid catcher, with a decade career ahead of him. Then the concussion happened and he had to leave the plate, and he became an ordinary hitter with little power for his new position. I really wish that we could have seen what he could have done healthy...it could have been epic.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't think this is a reasonable stance to take. It's not even close to being "not even close", imo.

JAWS measures a player's Hall of Fame worthiness. Joe Mauer has the 9th highest JAWS score in the history of major league catchers - http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_C.shtml

Obviously he's at least close, for a catcher. But now he's not a catcher anymore so perhaps his counting stats should be dinged accordingly. Still, his career has essentially been that of Mickey Cochrane so far and that's really freakin' good for a catcher.
                  ...and the catcher he's tied with in JAWS got 3.7% of the vote one year, was booted off the ballot and was never heard from again.

Comment

No. He wasn't dominant long enough to justify his lack of counting stats.

Comment

Yes.....in eight more years of playing time than Mauer.

Mauer probably isn't quite there but he's pretty damn close. Too bad injuries derailed his career.
                      He was a phenomenon who became a rich man's James Loney at age 30. That's no HOFer. The hall doesn't like players who fall off cliffs. If he's a HOFer, then so is Michael Young.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        He was a phenomenon who became a rich man's James Loney at age 30. That's no HOFer. The hall doesn't like players who fall off cliffs. If he's a HOFer, then so is Michael Young.
                        Maybe Don Mattingly's career is a good comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          No, once upon a time, he was as close to a lock as there was. Three time Batting champ, solid catcher, with a decade career ahead of him. Then the concussion happened and he had to leave the plate, and he became an ordinary hitter with little power for his new position. I really wish that we could have seen what he could have done healthy...it could have been epic.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Interesting piece on Mauer's HOF chances, given that he appears to be retiring:

Minnesota Twins catcher turned first baseman Joe Mauer retired at the end of the 2018 season. In 2024, he will be eligible for baseball's Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Pick someone further from realistic. Young is better than several MI in the HoF.

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Bill James said similar things about Gary Carter back in the day. In Carter's case, it was that he would have been seen as the best ever. Then he realized the same was true of at least five other catchers, Mickey Cochrane, Gaby Hartnett, Johnny Bench, etc. It's a tough position.

Given the brevity of Mauer's career, it might be useful to compare him to other Cs with shortened careers: Bill Freehan, Thurman Munson, Roy Campanella, Cochrane, etc.

J
                              Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-05-2018, 10:14 PM.
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X