Colin Kaepernick Sideline Protest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Kaepernick Sideline Protest...

He refused to stand during the National anthem...for a guy with his shaky standing in the NFL, gotta say it took a lot of guts.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game against Green Bay. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

The 49ers issued this statement: "The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."

"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."
    The 49ers quarterback refused to stand for the national anthem Friday, saying, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I appreciate athletes and celebrities standing up for whatever cause they believe, but don't do it on company time. This is an embarrassment to the SF 49er organization, even if they looked the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      I appreciate athletes and celebrities standing up for whatever cause they believe, but don't do it on company time. This is an embarrassment to the SF 49er organization, even if they looked the other way.
      I dunno. He's not doing anything that effects his ability to play football, that's what he's being paid for. Good for the 49ers for respecting his right to do this.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I'm with Bucky on this one...he's still got a stage, and as a QB in the NFL, enough clout to make an impact with his actions. It's obviously something that he feels deeply about, deeply enough to jeopardize the rest of his career. When he's Colin Kaepernick, private citizen, he's got little clout to make a statement and have people listen, and think about what he says. It's a freedom of speech issue, and he chose his path...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I think standing up for causes on company time accomplishes exactly what it's meant to do, bring the conversation to the table. Just like protests in the street are meant to disrupt your comfort and bring the topic into your life.

Tension.

Kudos to the 49ers for allowing this and not reacting like 'The Man'
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Here is a very well thought out perspective on Kaepernick's actions, or should I say inactions.

Army Ranger Vet Tells Colin Kaepernick What He Should Be Doing Instead of Sitting Out Nat’l Anthem
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

We have no freedom without dissent

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                Here is a very well thought out perspective on Kaepernick's actions, or should I say inactions.

Army Ranger Vet Tells Colin Kaepernick What He Should Be Doing Instead of Sitting Out Nat’l Anthem
                I've heard this argument before and it's a valid opinion, but it's only disrespectful to those who share this opinion. No one should dictate what is proper protest and what is not, the can absolutely have an opinion on it, but it is, in my opinion, short sighted as he say's there are 'better'ways to protest which is exactly what those in the 60's opposing the protests of MLK and others in that era said.

Protest is intended to stir up shit.

How you protest is a personal choice and Freedom of choice is the very core of being an American, respectfully.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post

Meh, he has a LOT of assumptions about what Kaepernick may have done behind the scenes to move the conversation along. And why are the actions of the NBA players "more appropriate"? And just how was his Father born without the right to vote??? Unless he is a foreigner, even then it's an irrelevant point. Blacks have had the right to vote since 1870...and yes, there have been numerous impediments placed in their way in some states, the 15th amendment is almost 150 years old.

Not particularly compelling in my book.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

trick question - the answer is John F Kennedy.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

in 2nd grade there was a kid who was a Jahova's Witness (sp) and wouldn't stand for the Pledge of Allegence, the teacher and some of the kids gave him a hard time about it, I didn't like that, so I started not standing for it either, and dared anyone to call me unpatriotic for that, because I had read the Constitution, and was maintaining my 1st amendment rights! I also declared that I was an "original intentist" because that whole "under God" thing got started in the 50's, and that was not part of the original pledge, so I wasn't going to say that either. Yep, I've always been a smart ass.
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        "I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag. I know that I am a black man in a white world."

Who said it?
                        Jackie Robinson
                        Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                        Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          "I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag. I know that I am a black man in a white world."

Who said it?
                          Muhammad Ali?
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Kareem has a great article about this whole subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                              Kareem has a great article about this whole subject.
                              Kareem basicly did this in 1968...he refused to play for the Olympic team because of the racial divide in the country at that time.

alcindor.jpg

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X