Colin Kaepernick Sideline Protest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    That cashier is not on their own time because he is working. He would be held accountable to the employer. When hes sitting in his basement swilling a beer - say what you want. I think I was pretty clear earlier that if there is some contractual agreement for language outside of work - then you have agreed to that. While at work the employer certainly can ensure that you are not telling jokes that are racist in nature, or sexually harassing, etc...
    What a baseball player says on Twitter IS part of his job. It is equivalent to what a cashier said to the customer while on the clock.

It's not the same as if the manager of a burger joint decided to monitor what his employees were posting on social media. He doesn't care, because his customers don't care. (He would care if his customers cared, but likely they won't be aware of it, so they won't care, and he won't care.) The customers of a baseball team DO care what the players post on social media. A lot. The teams tell their players they care.

They care, not because the players are supposed to be role models to young children, but because the team markets itself by weaving stories that involve connecting their customers to the lives of the players. I happen to know a bit about this, having sat in on a few marketing presentations on the topic.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      I dont have a Twitter -

We have enough difficulty communicating by written word for whatever reasons. Limiting people to 140 characters makes it that much worse.
      I am aware that what I tweet or write on Facebook reflects on my employer. I think about this literally every time I post something on social media. I think about how wording something one way versus another might be misconstrued. I would prefer not to have to think about that, but I am aware that I need to.

Not having a Twitter is a very reasonable response. Not all players have social media accounts.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Unsurprisingly, I favor strong oversight for those private companies who would wish to exert influence over their employees via the employees' private lives, regardless of whether they are baseball teams or burger joints. Fortunately, I'm pretty consistent when it comes to things like that.
        I'm not necessarily in favor of the way everything is in the baseball world. But I do think it helps to be honest about the motivations involved rather than comparing a baseball player's social media to what a burger joint's employee does when he is off the clock.

Comment

Eld -
          I want smaller government - you want bigger government....

We have a difference of opinion. Yet I have never once implied that your idea is immoral or denegrated you.

Thanks again for re-enforcing why I got out of the Hillary/Trump discussion.....

Yup - out again.

I think it best that I just stop even walking into this bar.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

NFL settles with Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reid over charges that it colluded to keep them out after protests during national anthem

Kaepernick, the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who has not played in the NFL since 2016, and Reid, a safety for the Carolina Panthers, were among players who refused to stand for the national anthem before games to protest racial inequality and police treatment of African Americans. No details of the settlement were immediately available, and the parties are subject to a confidentiality agreement.

WaPo News Alerts...

Most likely settles the sideline protest issues as well...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
            X