No announcement yet.

Colin Kaepernick Sideline Protest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know the most decorated infantry unit in WWII is an all Japanese-American infantry unit. some of their parents were in interment camps in america. and one of them wrote before he died in battle, america is a great country. don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

Comment

Has anyone besides middle aged white people (mostly men) complained about what he did?
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        Here is a very well thought out perspective on Kaepernick's actions, or should I say inactions.

Army Ranger Vet Tells Colin Kaepernick What He Should Be Doing Instead of Sitting Out Nat’l Anthem
        I don't know if any of you pukes ever burned a flag or not, but here is what this middle-aged white man thinks.

It's scary, but GITH agree on about 95% of this, the remaining 5% being whether protests are intended to stir up shit and take people out of their comfort zone. I respect his view, which is widely held, but do not share it. At the same time, I don't believe in this "protest is fine, so long as you stay over here in the 'protesters' area" bullshit. What the Ranger is saying is very close to that in my opinion, which is why I disagree with the Ranger. I respect him, too, but just as I wouldn't interfere with his method of expressing himself, I think he should step off Colin.

The old white men are just plain wrong. What we all live, work, fight and die for is the freedom to speak, to protest, to petition of redress of grievances, to burn a damn flag if we think it needs to be burned, and to take a knee during the anthem if we think that's what it takes to get out point across. I've seen the pics. He wasn't an ass. He took a knee.

Most serious protestors, like this kid, have nothing but respect for our country. Not so much for the a**holes who run it. And I think that is what he is saying. So to call him unpatriotic is to miss the point. I think he is more patriotic than the guys who take their multi-million dollar contracts, buy their castles, and never look back.

Old white guy, out.

Comment

Maybe if enough people in positions of notability start joining Colin's protest something will actually start to be done regarding the issues Kapernick's refusal to stand is bringing attention to,
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So...... This Sunday is 9/11. With the Seahawks already stating they have something planned (not sure if it's the whole team or just some of the players, nor what it is) this whole Kapernick thing is taking on a life of its own.

If I were management, I'd hold a moment of silence followed by the anthem so players could show respect for the anniversary and also show support for Colin's cause.

I don't see that happening in most games and if a player kneels or sits it's going to be tied to disrespect for those who died on 9/11.

Either way I'm sure we'll have a lot more to talk about Monday.

Comment

How about we just proceed with things as normal. If some people decide they want to sit, kneel, do hand stands let them. While I dont agree with the protests - people have the right to do it.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                How about we just proceed with things as normal. If some people decide they want to sit, kneel, do hand stands let them. While I dont agree with the protests - people have the right to do it.
                I agree with you, but other people have the right to discuss the actions of others. (I think I'm dizzy, now)

Comment

I totally agree, but there are those who make a big deal about things and as an organization, i'd want to be able to say I did everything I could to minimize any possibility of someone taking offense..

As it were, many of protests across the league, this thing is far from over and I can't see it ever going away until the issue itself is resolved.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                    So...... This Sunday is 9/11. With the Seahawks already stating they have something planned (not sure if it's the whole team or just some of the players, nor what it is) this whole Kapernick thing is taking on a life of its own.

If I were management, I'd hold a moment of silence followed by the anthem so players could show respect for the anniversary and also show support for Colin's cause.

I don't see that happening in most games and if a player kneels or sits it's going to be tied to disrespect for those who died on 9/11.

Either way I'm sure we'll have a lot more to talk about Monday.
                    Maybe heretical, but I'll ask anyway...why is it that 9/11 is such a massive deal compared to other similar events, the first two which come to mind being Pearl Harbor and Oklahoma City?

Is it recency bias? OKC was only six years before 9/11. The number of people lost? Pearl Harbor was @ 2400, only 500 or so shy of 9/11. (OKC was 168.) Pearl Harbor was an act of war, but was a surprise attack by a supposed friendly country. OKC was straight up terrorism by our own citizens, which in some ways seems worse that if it were by outsiders. Is it because it was New York, our most important city?

One hypothesis is that 9/11 is different because its events unfolded slowly before a television audience. We saw film of the planes striking the towers, and we watched as those towers fell. We experienced the horror in real time, as a nation, and we wept together.

If this is so, that 9/11 is observed primarily because it presented gripping television, I have a problem with it. Over the weekend I heard over and over "Never Forget." But are not the victims of OKC just as worthy of remembrance? And although we have a Pearl Harbor Day, will any of us observe it this year, on its 75th Commemoration?

Or I could be wrong.

Comment

or it could be a combination of all of the above. For the vast majority alive today, obviously Pearl Harbor was a learned event, not experienced. And there is definitely something about being attacked by outsiders - it's easier for public opinion/sentiment to coalesce around an evil villain, and that's a lot easier to identify when it's external. And yes, an attack in Manhattan relative to Oklahoma tugs at more emotions due to the ever-presence of Manhattan in so much of 20th century culture. I've been to NYC 5 or 6 times in my life, and had been to the top of one of the towers in 2000 ... sorry but I've never been to Oklahoma.

Obviously my intellect tells me that we shouldn't forget any of the examples you cited, as well as others ... but the experience of 9/11 tugs at my emotions in a way that makes it very different.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        Maybe heretical, but I'll ask anyway...why is it that 9/11 is such a massive deal compared to other similar events, the first two which come to mind being Pearl Harbor and Oklahoma City?

Is it recency bias? OKC was only six years before 9/11. The number of people lost? Pearl Harbor was @ 2400, only 500 or so shy of 9/11. (OKC was 168.) Pearl Harbor was an act of war, but was a surprise attack by a supposed friendly country. OKC was straight up terrorism by our own citizens, which in some ways seems worse that if it were by outsiders. Is it because it was New York, our most important city?

One hypothesis is that 9/11 is different because its events unfolded slowly before a television audience. We saw film of the planes striking the towers, and we watched as those towers fell. We experienced the horror in real time, as a nation, and we wept together.

If this is so, that 9/11 is observed primarily because it presented gripping television, I have a problem with it. Over the weekend I heard over and over "Never Forget." But are not the victims of OKC just as worthy of remembrance? And although we have a Pearl Harbor Day, will any of us observe it this year, on its 75th Commemoration?

Or I could be wrong.
                        I would also say it was used as the justification of several reactionary responses which have allowed the Govt to launch and maintain unjust military actions, usurp our civil liberties, abandon our ethics so "remembering" keeps the justification intact.

If we forget or devalue the moment, then you allow for discussion of issues which would require the abolishment of things like TSA, the Patriot Act, warrantless wiretaps, closing Gitmo, rebuilding of the countries we destroyed and so forth.

Remember and STAY AFRAID!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

And I believe many people still recognize Pearl Harbor and pause to remember in on December 7th.
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

And I believe many people still recognize Pearl Harbor and pause to remember in on December 7th.
                            That's good to hear. I go out of my way to remind people when it comes around. This year it is on a Wednesday. I've seen some calendars, though, which don't even mention it anymore, which I think is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                              That's good to hear. I go out of my way to remind people when it comes around. This year it is on a Wednesday. I've seen some calendars, though, which don't even mention it anymore, which I think is sad.
                              Whether we like it or not - some of this is generational. Im almost 49 - so WWII was done well before me. Our children really have no idea the impact of the Japanese bombing. In their mind its the plot for a movie.

Comment

He said God Bless... someone will be offended which will prompt another apology and then the next and the next.....

Doesnt he also have the right to express his opinion? Yes I know he does - The Mariners should have handled it just like the niners did with Kapernick.

Let them say their piece and agree to disagree....
                                Last edited by baldgriff; 09-26-2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X