No announcement yet.

*Official 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will wait for reax from draftniks here. Figure that one here either panned out or not, was interested either way...
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Could be. The Chiefs 2008 draft was one of the best of the decade.
      C'mon, this again? At this point, it's shaping up to be a very solid draft for them, but it's just not even close to being "the best of the decade" yet. Heck the Ravens may have had the best draft in '08 (Flacco & Rice).

It's got a WAYS to go to even be in the consideration for "best of the decade." I think the 2004 SD Chargers class is your frontrunner:
      - Philip Rivers
      - Shaun Phillips
      - Michael Turner
      - Igor Olshansky
      - Nate Kaeding
      - Nick Hardwick
      - Shane Olivea

How about the Jets '06 draft, getting D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Eric Smith, Leon Washington, Brad Smith & Drew Coleman? Or the Giants '07 class: Aaron Ross, Steve Smith, Ahmad Bradshaw, Kevin Boss, Michael Johnson, Jay Alford, Zak DeOssie & Adam Koets? The Texans '06 class: Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Eric Winston & Owen Daniels? Bengals '01: Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Rudi Johnson & Justin Smith? How bout the '01 Chargers taking HOFers back-to-back (Brees & LT)?

Loooooooooooong ways to go for the Chiefs class being considered anywhere near the top just yet.

Comment

When it comes to the Chiefs, please dont confuse Jay with the facts.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          C'mon, this again? At this point, it's shaping up to be a very solid draft for them, but it's just not even close to being "the best of the decade" yet. Heck the Ravens may have had the best draft in '08 (Flacco & Rice).
          Much as I fear filling the J sailboat with wind, he did say "one of the best of the decade", not the best of the decade. I happen to agree with you about the '04 Chargers and '06 Jets draft, but the '08 Chiefs draft is every bit as good or at least very close to the remainder. I'd say it was a top five draft of the decade, which definitely puts it as one of the best of the decade.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Much as I fear filling the J sailboat with wind, he did say "one of the best of the decade", not the best of the decade. I happen to agree with you about the '04 Chargers and '06 Jets draft, but the '08 Chiefs draft is every bit as good or at least very close to the remainder. I'd say it was a top five draft of the decade, which definitely puts it as one of the best of the decade.
            It's way too early to judge. That class has produced one Pro Bowler so far, although there may be more to come. The SD '04 class produced FIVE Pro Bowlers! Heck, the SD '05 class produced four more Pro Bowl caliber players (Merriman, Castillo, VJackson, Sproles).

Come back to me in two more years on the Chiefs '08 class, then we'll talk. At this point, from what I've seen in terms of Average Player Value, # of starters/years produced, and # of Pro Bowl appearances, that class is probably more like Top 20 than Top 5 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              It's way too early to judge. That class has produced one Pro Bowler so far, although there may be more to come. The SD '04 class produced FIVE Pro Bowlers! Heck, the SD '05 class produced four more Pro Bowl caliber players (Merriman, Castillo, VJackson, Sproles).

Come back to me in two more years on the Chiefs '08 class, then we'll talk. At this point, from what I've seen in terms of Average Player Value, # of starters/years produced, and # of Pro Bowl appearances, that class is probably more like Top 20 than Top 5 right now.
              As you say, the players are just entering their prime years. Albert, Dorsey and Flowers deserved Pro Bowl attention in 2010, but only JC has gone so far. If the team takes the next step up, we will see how things stack. While they may be closing on the 2004 talent haul, no one comes close to the 2000-2005 span, en toto.

BTW, all of you are missing the Cowboys 2006 class, which is now clearly better than the Giants that year: Ware, Spears, Burnett, Barber, Canty and Ratliff. 6 starters, 3 Pro Bowlers, 1 MVP grade season.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                BTW, all of you are missing the Cowboys 2006 class, which is now clearly better than the Giants that year: Ware, Spears, Burnett, Barber, Canty and Ratliff. 6 starters, 3 Pro Bowlers, 1 MVP grade season.

J
                That was actually the Boys '05 draft, which yeah, is a great haul. And the Jints only had four picks that year, but they amounted to Corey Webster, Brandon Jacobs, Justin Tuck & Eric Moore. Not too shabby either -- second time in two years Big Blue had every draftee become a solid player for them.

Comment

waiting for Jason C to weigh in on that great Redskins draft in.... 1947?
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    waiting for Jason C to weigh in on that great Redskins draft in.... 1947?
                    The Skins did well this year. Their last pick, Chris Neild was a player I hoped the Chiefs would get. Underrated NT prospect, possibly DE in the Holati Ngata mode. Fantastic value just before Mr Irrelivant.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X