*Official 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    26 TDs 20 INTs and 4000 yards maeks him slightly better than average. They dont have a viable in house alternative and none of the kids being drafted are day 1 QBs.
    Eh. I don't think you can measure a QB's performance using those kind of statistics. The Bengals were a 4-12 team last year. He has a lot of chances to pad his passing yards when he's playing from behind so often.
    I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Liked the Ingram pick by the Saints. That backfield is crowded by a bunch of hangers on that are unreliable.

Liked the Broncos decision to go with Miller. Theyll still be able to get solid D-linemen with 3 of the next 35 picks.

Panthers will regret Newton, who will be okay but not more. They have so many needs to fill that they couldve waited to get a QB. BTW, how will they pay both Newton and Claussen? Is this season going to be capless?
      And Ingram may end up in the same class as those hangers on that are unreliable... he's a big crapshoot. Our new friend moccasin is to the saints as OJH is to the chiefs.

Totally agree on both the Broncos and Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I thought the Lions killed it. Fantastic pick and a great foundational pick for an up and coming team. It might actually be good to be a Lions fan soon enough.

The Saints did well by landing Jordan, who could bolster their D-line. However, the Ingram pick was kind of baffling to me. Sure, he was good enough value there but now they have about a gazillion RBs. Is a RBBC guy worth a first round pick? I don't think so. Usually I'm all for "pick the best player available" but the Saints should have gone a different direction. The fact that they gave up so much (a 2nd in 2011 and a first (!!!!!!!!!) in 2012) makes it even worse. Baffling.

I think, just like they always do, the dicks, that New England comes out the real winner here. I probably would have gone with defense if I was New England, but they still have a boatload of picks coming both this year and next. Plus, they now have a kid who can step right in when Matt Light leaves.

The shocker of the draft, to me at least, was that Jake Locker went so high. I only know what I've been reading and hearing, but didn't his stock fall precipitously for a while there? Sure, the Titans need a QB but not sure that Locker is the right guy.
        Agreed on New England but with Bowers and Ayers still available I think they'll still be fine improving the D.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
          Eh. I don't think you can measure a QB's performance using those kind of statistics. The Bengals were a 4-12 team last year. He has a lot of chances to pad his passing yards when he's playing from behind so often.
          okay so who is a better option for the Bengals in 2k11 than Palmer is? Bulger? Alex Smith? I really dont see one. I dont love Palmer but I wouldnt have taken any QB at 4 and IMO the best thing for Cincy next year is Palmer.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Interesting to see such divergent opinions on the Saints' Day 1. Coming from a fan, I was thrilled with their picks and when both Jordan and Ingram were available I said to my mom (for some strange reason she actually watched it with me) that I wish they had two picks to grab them both. And then bang they make a trade to do just that. Sure it was a lot to give up for Ingram, but he adds yet another powerful weapon to their already formidable offense. And given their RB injuries last year, I think it makes sense to add depth.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Giants fans should be thrilled see Prince fall to them, and I agree that the Lions' D-Line is going to give teams nightmares for years to come.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                My first thought on the Falcons trading 5 picks for Julio Jones was that it was insane. However, given the labor uncertainty, where those 2012 picks project to end up and how few needs the Falcons have I've started to come around on it and think it was a great move for both teams.

The truly idiotic aspect of that deal is why the Bengals didn't take it for #4.

The Falcons should be in very good shape offensively now with two big WR who are not only willing to block, but seem to enjoy it, Turner, Matty Ice and at least one more solid year from Tony Gonzalez.

It is a lot to give up on paper, but it makes them stronger right away and could make them the Super Bowl favorites in the NFC.
                A complementary WR to White is not why they didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Atlanta ranked 22nd against the pass last year. They generated just 31 sacks. They need secondary help and someone of note to play opposite Abraham. Oh in case you forgot... I think Aaron Rodgers just scored another TD against that D for your new NFC Super Bowl favorites.

Comment

okay so who is a better option for the Bengals in 2k11 than Palmer is? Bulger? Alex Smith? I really dont see one. I dont love Palmer but I wouldnt have taken any QB at 4 and IMO the best thing for Cincy next year is Palmer.
                  And let's not forget, the Bengals allegedly LOVE Andy Dalton and pick third today behind New Englans (who obviously would not take him) and Buffalo (who presumably could) but if they really want him New England would almost definitely drop two spots for a third or fourth rounder. Dalton is exactly the kind of guy they should want to play behind Palmer for a year. Sounds like a great plan to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Interesting to see such divergent opinions on the Saints' Day 1. Coming from a fan, I was thrilled with their picks and when both Jordan and Ingram were available I said to my mom (for some strange reason she actually watched it with me) that I wish they had two picks to grab them both. And then bang they make a trade to do just that. Sure it was a lot to give up for Ingram, but he adds yet another powerful weapon to their already formidable offense. And given their RB injuries last year, I think it makes sense to add depth.
                    I'm not arguing it doesn't make sense to add depth to the RB corps, I just think it was a lot to give up to get Ingram when they very possibly could have had Leshoure or Williams with the second rounder or moved up in the second for a lot less to get one of them. I'm not hating on the Jordan pick btw, it was definitely a good value pick - just think it'll be an adjustment for him... but the Ingram move was not a good one IMO.

Comment

Mark Ingram joins a long and "distinguished" line of Heisman winners drafted by the Saints. After George Rogers (who had a brief but good career) the Saints drafted the following gems: Danny Wuerffel, Ricky Williams and Reggie Bush. Obviously Ingram has the chance and tools to be successful in the league just an interesting tidbit.

Comment

nice touch having great former players introduce the picks. At least they won't get booed.

Andy Dalton to Cincy....buh-bye Carson?

Comment

Andy Dalton? :jerry:
                          I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                            Mark Ingram joins a long and "distinguished" line of Heisman winners drafted by the Saints. After George Rogers (who had a brief but good career) the Saints drafted the following gems: Danny Wuerffel, Ricky Williams and Reggie Bush. Obviously Ingram has the chance and tools to be successful in the league just an interesting tidbit.
                            I loved the Ingram pick. He is exactly what the Saints need, a durable big back, with receiving skills. The trade cost detracts somewhat, but still an excellent pick. Pierre should have that role, but lacks the "durable" part.

In the mean time, I am not thrilled with the Chiefs first pick, even though they got an extra 3rd and 4th out of it (the 4th is the premium over book value that Cleveland paid for #21). However, on days 2 and 3, they drafted a ton of talent. Several close observers are calling it the best draft, which is premature, but it looks very solid.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

"Several close observers are calling it the best draft, which is premature, but it looks very solid."

Wait, is it time to revive an old thread?
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                "Several close observers are calling it the best draft, which is premature, but it looks very solid."

Wait, is it time to revive an old thread?
                                Could be. The Chiefs 2008 draft was one of the best of the decade.
                                Glen Dorsey DE
                                Branden Albert LT
                                Brandon Flowers CB
                                Brandon Carr CB
                                Barry Richardson RT
                                Mike Cox FB
                                All solid starters.

Oh yeh, some RB named Charles.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X