*Official 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    I'm surprised the Browns didn't get a jar of Virgin Blood in addition to the 2 First Rounders, 2 Fourth Rounders and 1 2nd Rounder for Julio Jones.

Schefter said they negotiated with the Bengals to get AJ Green at #4. You going to tell me the Bengals turned down that package? Amazing.
    Yeah I thought that as well....do you really think the Bengals turned this or BETTER down for Green?

Comment

Giants fans will wreck Radio City Music Hall if they pass on Pouncey at 19 (they wouldn't)
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Ah well.

There may not be an RB taken in Rd 1. Wow.

Comment

What's up with Amukamara falling so far? The Giants might end that drop as SD is very likely to take Jordan here.

Comment

Man another good NE trade nets them a second rounder this year and what is likely an equivalent first rounder next year for their second first-rounder.

For Mark Ingram going to NO makes him a much less relevant fantasy football story for 2011 as the backfield is due to be a mess between P Thomas, Ivory and now Ingram.

Comment

Bears get a good one in Carimi at 29. Bummer.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Initial Round 1 Reactions:

Big days -
                Lions: Good luck contending with Suh and Fairley, that combo will give interior linemen nightmares for a long time.
                Bears/Colts/Cowboys: I'll lump them because they all had a pretty obvious OL need and they all filled that need with good values.
                Giants: Call this a homer pick but Prince fits a need and is an unquestionable value despite the question marks.
                Patriots: Add another project with a great chance to pan out on the O-line and do their usual two-step into additional high value picks.

In the middle-
                Browns: Loved the trade down to amass picks but did not get trading back up for Taylor.
                Ravens: Smith fills a need and Baltimore is the perfect locker room to help tame a potential behavior problem but what was with the pick flub?
                Chiefs: Baldwin has major potential but major question marks. Seemed like a reach but could end up being a steal.
                Jaguars: Bold to make the move up for their franchise QB and I like Gabbert a lot but it's a high-risk move.

What were they thinking? -
                Saints: Ingram comes with a lot of question marks and joins a very crowded backfield and they paid a lot to get him. Jordan was a good value but isn't a great fit in their scheme.
                Falcons: Jones rocketed up draft boards all offseason but that was A LOT to give up to get him and not address other more pressing needs.
                49ers: Reminds me a lot of the Tyson Alaualu Jacksonville pick last year, a name that caught steam down the stretch and a team that reached for him. they must have really disliked the QBs available.
                Titans: Really amazing to me that they fell so in love with Locker. Seems all wrong.

Comment

Liked the Ingram pick by the Saints. That backfield is crowded by a bunch of hangers on that are unreliable.

Liked the Broncos decision to go with Miller. Theyll still be able to get solid D-linemen with 3 of the next 35 picks.

Panthers will regret Newton, who will be okay but not more. They have so many needs to fill that they couldve waited to get a QB. BTW, how will they pay both Newton and Claussen? Is this season going to be capless?
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Anyone that can find a negative in what the Saints pulled off in round one is just angry because of what the Saints pulled off in round one. Jordan's value was easily top 15, with many thinking he had top 10 value. In reality, the Saints gave up a 2nd round pick for Ingram, who was the No. 1 RB in this draft, and excellent value at pick no. 28. No one knows how things will turn out, only time will tell; but looking at the value of these players today, the Saints have had one of the best 1st round drafts ever.

Others that I like on day 1:
                    Browns- Many needs in Cleveland; coming away with Phil Taylor and extra picks is just what the doctor ordered.
                    Colts- Castonzo will be a cornerstone for many years.
                    Lions- Adding Fairley just made the Lions DL one of the best in the game today.
                    Falcons- had very few needs, so trading away picks to acquire Jones was mastery.
                    Jaguars- Gabbert could very well be the best player from the 2011 draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Moccasin View Post
                      Anyone that can find a negative in what the Saints pulled off in round one is just angry because of what the Saints pulled off in round one. Jordan's value was easily top 15, with many thinking he had top 10 value. In reality, the Saints gave up a 2nd round pick for Ingram, who was the No. 1 RB in this draft, and excellent value at pick no. 28. No one knows how things will turn out, only time will tell; but looking at the value of these players today, the Saints have had one of the best 1st round drafts ever.

Others that I like on day 1:
                      Browns- Many needs in Cleveland; coming away with Phil Taylor and extra picks is just what the doctor ordered.
                      Colts- Castonzo will be a cornerstone for many years.
                      Lions- Adding Fairley just made the Lions DL one of the best in the game today.
                      Falcons- had very few needs, so trading away picks to acquire Jones was mastery.
                      Jaguars- Gabbert could very well be the best player from the 2011 draft.
                      Can you clarify this?
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Ravens: Smith fills a need and Baltimore is the perfect locker room to help tame a potential behavior problem but what was with the pick flub?
                        From what I saw online, the Ravens were cutting a deal and someone screwed up communicating it to the commish.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

My first thought on the Falcons trading 5 picks for Julio Jones was that it was insane. However, given the labor uncertainty, where those 2012 picks project to end up and how few needs the Falcons have I've started to come around on it and think it was a great move for both teams.

The truly idiotic aspect of that deal is why the Bengals didn't take it for #4.

The Falcons should be in very good shape offensively now with two big WR who are not only willing to block, but seem to enjoy it, Turner, Matty Ice and at least one more solid year from Tony Gonzalez.

It is a lot to give up on paper, but it makes them stronger right away and could make them the Super Bowl favorites in the NFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            My first thought on the Falcons trading 5 picks for Julio Jones was that it was insane. However, given the labor uncertainty, where those 2012 picks project to end up and how few needs the Falcons have I've started to come around on it and think it was a great move for both teams.

The truly idiotic aspect of that deal is why the Bengals didn't take it for #4.

The Falcons should be in very good shape offensively now with two big WR who are not only willing to block, but seem to enjoy it, Turner, Matty Ice and at least one more solid year from Tony Gonzalez.

It is a lot to give up on paper, but it makes them stronger right away and could make them the Super Bowl favorites in the NFC.
                            The Bengals didnt take it because Green is considered to be far and away the most talented skill player in the draft and theyre also hoping to entice Palmer to come back for 2k11.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              The Bengals didnt take it because Green is considered to be far and away the most talented skill player in the draft and theyre also hoping to entice Palmer to come back for 2k11.
                              Why? He's not good.
                              I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
                                Why? He's not good.
                                26 TDs 20 INTs and 4000 yards maeks him slightly better than average. They dont have a viable in house alternative and none of the kids being drafted are day 1 QBs.

Comment

Working...
                                X