Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Prince

Was just watching this clip (again) last night

... after listening to Maggot Brain and thinking ... "this had to have had a huge influence on Prince".

Comment

wow. Another one.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Was just watching this clip (again) last night

Love love love that clip.

Prince is so bad ass.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

very sad.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

RIP Prince, I will be forever gratetful for your inspiration that with enough attitude and tongue, nasty short dudes could bang smoking hot chicks!
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Wow

There was a Kevin Smith talk on youtube where he discusses meeting with Price to film something. Between that and the Charlie Murphy thing, it's fascinating - he really seemed to have lived the part of the crazy productive megalomaniac. A walking comic book character, who in turn made one of the soundtracks to the first Tim Burton Batman movie.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Holy Smokes! An actual musical genius, on the level of Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Dylan, Hendrix, Ray Charles and Michael Jackson.

He leaves a great body of work behind and, unlike so many artists, the songs he has written will be covered by artists for years to come.

R.I.P. indeed.

Comment

unfortunately, he had youtube pretty well locked down, really tough to find videos to post
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    unfortunately, he had youtube pretty well locked down, really tough to find videos to post
                    I don't know of any other musician with their stuff so locked down. I read an article recently that pointed out how an entire generation knows very little about him because of it.
                    And in the Kevin Smith interview, he quotes one of Prince's regular staff saying how they've produced complete music videos that went straight to the vault. Who knows how much there is, or where it will end up. I've never heard of him having a family.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

One of the first records I bought with my own $$ - The Purple Rain single on 45:

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                        I don't know of any other musician with their stuff so locked down. I read an article recently that pointed out how an entire generation knows very little about him because of it.
                        And in the Kevin Smith interview, he quotes one of Prince's regular staff saying how they've produced complete music videos that went straight to the vault. Who knows how much there is, or where it will end up. I've never heard of him having a family.
                        re: family, didn't he have a baby die at some point back in the 90's? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I always wondered if Prince's public persona was just one massive troll. There always seemed to be a knowing self awareness to all his crazy antics ... as if everything was an in joke, and he's the only person who really got it ... and he liked that.

But it's clear he never appreciated how the industry changed in the post-Internet era. Kind of ironic that the guy who fought the music industry so hard in the 90's joined them on their sinking ship in the 2000's. Adaptability wasn't one of his many talents.

4 records in the last 18 months ... there's no way even the biggest Prince fan is going to be able to properly digest that, and certainly no way that the fickle music press and public will keep up. Also, like you said, almost no exposure on the main music networks. So many bands are more popular now than they were in their prime just because of the internet. Then again, maybe he didn't give a crap about that?

His legacy for the Youtube generation is a bunch of wannabes on American Idol auditions murdering his songs.

Comment

While I do agree with the points that johnny made, I will say the entire generation you refer to could have at least gone out and bought a damn record.

"But it's not my fault! I didn't know about Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf...they weren't on youtube."

Comment

As the Prince guy on Rotojunkie, I thought I should pop in and express my deepest sadness. I haven't had a celebrity death affect me like his is right now, not in a very long time. I still enjoy his music, even his new stuff, though it is quite difficult to keep up with the pace he put out albums. I think he just loved making music, and the result is us, the fans, being practically overwhelmed by the sheer volume.

Good bye Prince Rogers Nelson.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X