Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Billy O'Dell, who won 105 games with 4 clubs primarily in the 1960s, and a key Vintage Draft player, died at age 85. RIP.
    I remember that he pitched for the O's (before my fandom) and that he was their rep in an AS game (in 1958 IIRC). He may have even started that game.

Comment

• Marty Pattin, who pitched 13 years for four teams, won 17 games for the Red Sox in 1972 and finished his career with a 3.62 ERA and 1.24 WHIP, died at age 75. RIP.

Comment

• Wayne Krenchicki, who played 8 years in the majors from 1979 until 1986 primarily with the Reds, and managed in the Indy leagues for the Newark Bears & Evansville Otters, died at age 64. RIP.

Comment

• Hall of Famer Willie McCovey has passed away at age 80. RIP.

Comment

Hall of Famer Willie McCovey has passed away at age 80. RIP.
            his health had been bad the last couple of years, he was always in a wheelchair at any Giants event for the last 10 it seemed.
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Not a household name, but Bill Fischer had a big impact on some big names ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I am shocked there is no more reaction to Willie McCovey's death this week. Sad.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Former Dodgers reliever Ken Howell died at age 57. He was included in the trade to bring Eddie Murray to LA. Another '88 Dodger gone. RIP.

Comment

• Another one far from a household name, but perhaps an interesting answer to a trivia question ...

At the time of his death in 2018, Frederick John Caligiuri was the oldest living former major-leaguer, and the last MLer to have played prior to Pearl Harbor.

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Luis Valbuena and former major leaguer Jose Castillo were killed in a car accident in Venezuela.

It’s sad that this sort of thing is happening every offseason. RIP.

Comment

Luis Valbuena and former major leaguer Jose Castillo were killed in a car accident in Venezuela.

Yes it is.

Valbuena for a buck often got him on my roster. As an end game play in deep only leagues he always helped my team.

Comment

Luis Valbuena and former major leaguer Jose Castillo were killed in a car accident in Venezuela.

Ugh. That's awful to hear. RIP

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            Ugh. That's awful to hear. RIP
                            It is getting worse:

The passing of Pittsburgh Pirates Jose Castillo is such sad news, but the details coming out of Venezuela are sickening. According to reports, it was set up by thieves, who put a rock in the road, w/ plans to rob the accident victims. Castillo & others were looted after the crash

Comment

• Joan Steinbrenner, the New York Yankees vice chair and wife of late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, died Friday at the age of 83. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Mel Stottlemyre, 5-time All Star and long-time pitching coach of the Yankees, died at age 77. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X