No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julio Lugo, middle infielder, died today. He played 11 years for seven different teams, mostly Houston, Tampa and Boston. Cause of death is suspected to be a heart attack. He was 45 y/o. RIP.

Comment

• Doug Jones, a reliever who didn't become a full-time major leaguer until age 30 but then became a 5-time All Star, died from covid at age 64. RIP.

Comment

• Bill Virdon, former Pirates player, coach, and manager, has died at age 90. RIP.
        Virdon also managed the Yankees, Astros, and Expos.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Some other interesting facts about Bill Virdon:

Virdon was originally signed by the Yankees and then traded to the Cardinals for Enos Slaughter.
          Virdon was the 1955 NL ROY with the Cardinals before being traded to the Pirates in 1956 while in the midst of a sophomore slump.
          Virdon is the all-time winningest manager in Astros' history with 544 wins.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• wow, Doug Jones was a regular on my roster
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Don Demeter, and outfielder for the Dodgers, Phillies, Tigers, Red Sox & Indians from 1956 to 1967, died at age 85. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Don Demeter, and outfielder for the Dodgers, Phillies, Tigers, Red Sox & Indians from 1956 to 1967, died at age 85. RIP.

So sorry to hear that. I remember Demeter when he played for Tigers.

Comment

• 1983 AL Cy Young Award winner LaMarr Hoyt died at age 66. RIP.

Comment

• Former longtime baseball exec Roland Hemond died at age 92. He was GM of the White Sox from 1970-1985 and the Orioles from 1988-1995. RIP.

Comment

• Guardians' minor league catcher, Andres Melendez, died on 12/16. The cause of death has not yet been reported. He was 20 y/o. I'd never heard of him but from looking up his stats he seemed like a decent prospect. Terrible shame to die that young. RIP.

Comment

• Tigers 1st Base coach Kimera Bartee passed away suddenly at age 49. RIP.

Comment

• Larry Biitner, a 1970s OF/PH for the Cubs, Expos, Reds & Rangers, died at age 75. RIP.

Jim Corsi, a reliever for 5 teams over a 10-year career from 1988-1999, died at age 60. RIP.

Comment

• Rays bullpen catcher Jean Ramirez died at age 28. RIP.
                            Ramirez had spent the last three seasons as the Rays' bullpen catcher, which is an assistant coaching role

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Rays bullpen catcher Jean Ramirez died at age 28. RIP.
                              https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...ies-at-age-28/
                              Family announced today that cause of death was suicide. What a tragedy for him and his family.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X