No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Magowan, longtime San Francisco Giants owner, died Sunday after a battle with cancer. He was 76. RIP

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Peter Magowan, longtime San Francisco Giants owner, died Sunday after a battle with cancer. He was 76. RIP

Best known as the owner that saved the team from going to St Petersburg, and the signer of Bonds, Thanks Peter!
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Tom Hausman, who pitched in the majors from 1975-1982 and was the first player the NY Mets ever signed as a free agent, died at age 65.

Comment

• Pirates legend Bob Friend, who won 197 games and led the NL in ERA in 1955, died at age 88. RIP.

Comment

• Is it just me, or does Peter Magowan look like Al Gore? Especially the eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
              Is it just me, or does Peter Magowan look like Al Gore? Especially the eyes.
              And the hair... and the nose.

You are onto something here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                Is it just me, or does Peter Magowan look like Al Gore? Especially the eyes.
                I kinda thought a little James Woods-ish.

Comment

• Are you saying Al Gore looks like a corpse?

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Nose down=James Woods

Nose up= Jack Nicholas.

Comment

• He does have the Nicklaus hair.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Are you saying Al Gore looks like a corpse?

J
                        Dammit Jim, I'm a corpse, not a doctor !!!!

Comment

• NL MVP, Cy Young & Rookie of the Year award winner Don Newcombe died at age 92. RIP Newk.

Comment

• Newcombe hit .359 in 1955, with 7 HR, 23 RBI, a 1.028 OPS and a 163 OPS+ in 117 AB.

that OPS+ put him just behind Mays, Mathews and Snider - and just ahead of Musial, Campanella, Kluszewski, and Banks.

oh, he also went 20-5 on the mound that season.

career MLB AVG of .271 with an OPS+ of 85.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Sad news - The Boston Globe's national baseball columnist Nick Cafardo died while at spring training of an embolism. He was 62. RIP.

Comment

• Leroy Stanton, the opening day RFer for the inaugural 1977 Seattle Mariners team (he hit .275 with 27 HRs that season) and who was included in the NY Mets trade of Nolan Ryan to the California Angels in 1972, was killed in a one-car crash at age 72. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X