No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Wockenfuss, a catcher primarily for the Tigers from 1974 to 1985, died at age 73. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Johnny Wockenfuss, a catcher primarily for the Tigers from 1974 to 1985, died at age 73. RIP.
      There's not a child of the 70s baseball fan from Motown that didnt, at some point, mimic Johnny B Wockenfuss stance.

One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

• Originally posted by cool hand View Post
        There's not a child of the 70s baseball fan from Motown that didnt, at some point, mimic Johnny B Wockenfuss stance.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/g...hn-wockenfuss/
        That’s amazing. To me, he was one of those JAG cards you’d get in every other Topps pack, lol.

Comment

• Lee Thomas GM of the '93 Phils' World Series team and former All-Star with the Angels passed away today at 86.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Lee Thomas, an All-Star player who eventually became the architect of the 1993 NL champion Philadelphia Phillies, has died. He was 86.

Thomas died Wednesday at his home in St. Louis, the Phillies announced. No details about the cause were given.

Thomas was Philadelphia's general manger from 1988-97, and he spent the early portion of his tenure acquiring players who helped lead the Phillies on their improbable run to the World Series. Thomas acquired John Kruk, Terry Mulholland, Curt Schilling, Lenny Dykstra, Milt Thompson, Danny Jackson and others who played on the team that lost to the Toronto Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series. Joe Carter hit the winning home run off Mitch Williams in Game 6 to clinch the championship.

"Lee was a great man and will be missed incredibly," Phillies Chairman Emeritus Bill Giles said. "I will never forget all the fun we had watching the 1993 Phillies National League championship team that he put together. Through his leadership, Lee has left an indelible mark on Phillies history. My love goes out to his wife, Susie, and his entire family."

A former All-Star who played both outfield and first base, Thomas hit 106 home runs in 1,027 career games. In 1962, he was named an American League All-Star, batting .290 with 26 home runs and 104 RBIs. He played parts of eight seasons with the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Angels, Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros.

He is the last major league player to have collected 9 hits in a doubleheader, doing so for the Angels on September 5, 1961.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...%205%2C%201961.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Bob Locker, a reliever primarily for the White Sox from 1965-1975, died at age 83. RIP.

Mark Littell, a reliever for the Cardinals and Royals from 1973-1982, died at age 69. RIP.

Comment

• Former Braves, Red Sox and Mariners pitcher Anthony Varvaro was killed in a wrong-way crash Sunday on his way to Manhattan’s World Trade Center 9/11 ceremony. Varvaro was also a former NYPD and NJPD officer. Anthony Varvaro was 37 years old. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• He was an active NY Port Authority cop. He was killed on the NJ Turnpike exit 14C, which is where I would travel every day when I worked in NYC. Terrible.

Comment

• Former Mets all-star catcher John Stearns died at age 71. RIP.

Comment

• Last night Maury Wills, 1962 MVP, died at age 89. The Dodgers will wear a patch in memory of Wills for the rest of this season.

RIP

Comment

• I met Maury Wills on a cruise many years ago and he we had a nice chat together.

A real gentleman for sure.

Comment

• Tom Urbani, a reliever for the Cardinals from 1993-1996, died at age 54. RIP.

Hector Lopez, an OF/3B for the A's and Yankees who had a 12-yr career from 1955 to 1966, died at age 93. RIP.

Comment

• Hall of Fame reliever Bruce Sutter died at age 69. RIP.

Dick Ellsworth, an All Star pitcher primarily for the Cubs from 1958 to 1971 (and a vintage draft fave), died at age 82. RIP.

Tommy Boggs, a pitcher with the Rangers and Braves from 1976 to 1985 (also was a teammate of Sutter's), who was the 2nd overall pick in the 1974 Amateur Draft, died at age 66. RIP.

Comment

• Chuck Carr, CF on the original Florida Marlins, passed away of cancer at 55 years. I watched him live many times. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              Chuck Carr, CF on the original Florida Marlins, passed away of cancer at 55 years. I watched him live many times. RIP.
                              Chuckie will be less fondly remembered in Milwaukee, for Chuckie hacks on 2 and 0.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                Chuckie will be less fondly remembered in Milwaukee, for Chuckie hacks on 2 and 0.
                                one of the greatest selfish quotes in sports history!

Comment

Working...
                                X