Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Here's an article about the 2016 reunion of a few 69 Mets players at Seaver's vineyard in California:

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2019/...msky-1969-mets

Clockwise from left to right: Bud Harrelson, Jerry Koosman, Author-Erik Sherman, Art Shamsky, Ron Swoboda and Tom Seaver enjoy lunch. (Courtesy Erik Sherman)
    He looks really good in that pic....not so long ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      The Baseball Hall of Fame said Wednesday night that Seaver died Monday from complications of Lewy body dementia and COVID-19. RIP Tom Terrific.
      "Blind men came to the park just to hear him pitch." - Reggie Jackson on Tom Seaver.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        Tom Seaver passes away at age 75...RIP
        https://twitter.com/drewdavis71/stat...606468609?s=20

Comment

• Cardinals legend Lou Brock died today at age 81. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Cardinals legend Lou Brock died today at age 81. RIP.
            He was a classy guy. Whenever Rickey broke one of Lou Brock's records or received some kind of an honor, it seemed like Lou was always there to congratulate him. RIP.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Anthony McCarron
              @AnthonyMcCarron
              ·
              2h
              Lou Brock was always one of the nicest HOFers. Funny, too. One Induction weekend, there was a stern sign in the lobby of the Otesaga Hotel: "Absolutely no autographs". Someone had written something on the sign. I peered closely: Brock had autographed the sign. RIP, Lou.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Gene Budig, the last president of the AL, a position he served from 1994-1999, died at age 81. RIP.

Comment

• Bob Gibson -- one of the greatest pitchers in MLB history -- has died after a long battle with pancreatic cancer at the age of 84. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Highlights (3rd strikes) of Bob Gibson striking out 17 Tigers in a 1968 World Series game:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• When I was a kid, I saw Bob Gibson pitch against Fergie Jenkins in St. Louis. It was probably July and the field was about 120 degrees with that Astro Turf that they had in St. Louis. I believe both guys pitched into extra innings...remarkable.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Jay Johnstone, an OFer who had a 19-year career and played for the Phillies, Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Angels, Padres & White Sox, and who was known more for his eccentricities than his baseball prowess, died of COVID on Sept. 26th at age 74. RIP.

Lou Johnson, an OFer who had his best years with the LA Dodgers from 1965-1967, and hit a key HR in Game 7 of the 1965 World Series, died at age 86. RIP.

Comment

• Ron Perranoski, a longtime pitcher and coach for the Dodgers, died at age 84. He was also on the 1965 Dodgers world champion team. RIP.

Comment

• let's just say that if you started collecting baseball cards in 1968 like I did - this has been a rough year

1st ballot Hall of Famers Kaline, Seaver, Brock, Gibson

Perranoski, Johnson, Jimmy Wynn, Horace Clarke, Bob Watson, Tony Taylor

before and after Don Larsen and Claudell Washington and Johnstone

and I am missing many more

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Kim Batiste, an infielder for the Phillies who had the game-winning hit in Game 1 of the 1993 NLCS, died at age 52. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X