Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Jose DeLeon, a pitcher for 5 MLB teams from 1983-1995 who led the NL in Ks in 1989 with 201, died from cancer at age 63. RIP.

Unrelated to Jose De Leon, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Unrelated to Jose De Leon, right?
      Correct

Comment

• Larry Demery, a pitcher for four seasons in the mid-1970s for the Pirates, died at age 70. RIP.

Comment

• Wow, bad month for former Pirates pitchers.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• U.L. Washington, a shortstop primarily for the KC Royals who always played with a toothpick in his mouth, died at age 70. RIP.

Comment

• Ed Ott, catcher for the 1979 World Series championPirates team, has passed away at the age of 72. RIP.

Bonus trivia: Ed Ott is the shortest name in MLB history.

Last edited by madducks; 03-04-2024, 01:04 AM.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Jim McAndrew, a pitcher primarily for the NY Mets who was a key part of their 1969 and 1973 World Series staffs, died at age 80. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Ed Ott, catcher for the 1979 World Series championPirates team, has passed away at the age of 72. RIP.
                  from wiki

Known as a tough, no-nonsense player, Ott was a former Muncy High School star wrestler who was not afraid to use those skills on a baseball diamond. In an August 12, 1977, game against the New York Mets, Ott slid hard into Mets' second baseman Felix Millán trying to break up a double play.[2] Millán shouted at Ott and hit him with a baseball in his hand. Ott answered this by picking Millan up in a wrestling move, upending him, and then slamming him into his extended knee at Three Rivers Stadium, severely injuring Millan's shoulder.[10] The incident effectively ended Millan's MLB playing career.[2]

Other trivia. Not known to be related to Mel Ott
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post

from wiki

Known as a tough, no-nonsense player, Ott was a former Muncy High School star wrestler who was not afraid to use those skills on a baseball diamond. In an August 12, 1977, game against the New York Mets, Ott slid hard into Mets' second baseman Felix Millán trying to break up a double play.[2] Millán shouted at Ott and hit him with a baseball in his hand. Ott answered this by picking Millan up in a wrestling move, upending him, and then slamming him into his extended knee at Three Rivers Stadium, severely injuring Millan's shoulder.[10] The incident effectively ended Millan's MLB playing career.[2]

Other trivia. Not known to be related to Mel Ott
                    Wow, I hadn't heard about that one.

I remember Ott being a hard-ass. Pirates fans loved him. Other teams fans....not so much.

One of my earliest memories of Ed Ott when I was a kid was a game I watched on TV where an opposing player threw his helmet at Ott after a play at the plate and then cowardly ran away. Ott then dropped his catcher's mitt, picked the helmet off the ground, and proceeded to rip the helmet in half, and then threw the two halves of the helmet back toward the player who threw it at him all while angrily staring him down. As a kid I'm thinking: "Whoa the Pirates catcher is the Incredible Hulk."

Also from Wiki:

Ott later became a coach with the Houston Astros, serving under manager and former Pirates teammate Art Howe, from 1989 to 1993, where he is remembered for his role in an on-field altercation against the Cincinnati Reds. In 1991, Reds reliever Rob Dibble ignited a brawl when he threw a pitch behind the back of the Astros' Eric Yelding, late in the game of a 4–1 Reds loss. A melee ensued and the 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m), 230 lb (100 kg), Dibble wound up on the bottom of a pile with the relatively diminutive Ott having put Dibble in such a chokehold that Dibble's face turned blue.​

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos died at age 94. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                      X