Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Paul Splittorff, all-time wins leader for the Royals and long-time broadcaster for the team, passed away today at age 64--
    Probably coincidence, but, man, a lot of that era of KC pitchers have had cancer, and at least three died pretty early - Quiz, Splittorff, and Ken Brett. I know Jerry Terrell had cancer, too.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

HOF manager Dick Williams has died at age 82. RIP.

Comment

former Mets & Tigers OFer Billy Baldwin died July 6th at age 62. He played for the Tigers in 1975 and was traded to the Mets with Mickey Lolich for Rusty Staub in 1976. RIP.

Comment

another player whose card I got more often than not in Topps packs. RIP, Jesse Jefferson.

The pic that instantly came to mind when I saw he had passed:

Last edited by revo; 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

"Sad news from the Dominican Republic today, as Matty Alou passed away at 72, according to Dominican Today.

Alou, 72, was the middle of the three Alou brothers and played for the Giants, Pirates, Cardinals, Athletics, Padres and Yankees in his big-league career that spanned 15 seasons. Alou hit .307/.345/.381 with 1,777 hits in his career and won a batting title with a .342 average for the Pirates in 1966. He was also a two-time All-Star, making the National League team in 1968 and 1969.

Alou is best known as part of the famous baseball family. In 1963, all three Alou brothers -- Matty, Felipe and Jesus -- took the field in the same outfield and combined for 5,094 career hits, the best mark for three baseball brothers. The year Alou won the batting title, his older brother, Felipe, finished second."

Comment

Cardinals great Bob Forsch dies at 61

Former St. Louis Cardinals great Bob Forsch died Thursday at his home near Tampa, Fla.

Forsch, 61, who threw two no-hitters for the Cardinals, apparently suffered an aneurysm in his upper chest before collapsing, according to news reports.

Forsch's no-hitters came in 1978 and 1983 — he is the only Cardinal with that distinction — and he won 20 games in 1977 for the Redbirds.

Comment

The last time the Phils were no-hit was by Forsch in 1978. My seven-year-old self watched that game on TV. He was one of the best pitchers in the NL East at a time when it had Steve Carlton, Steve Rodgers, Bert Blyleven, and Tom Seaver.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  The last time the Phils were no-hit was by Forsch in 1978. My seven-year-old self watched that game on TV. He was one of the best pitchers in the NL East at a time when it had Steve Carlton, Steve Rodgers, Bert Blyleven, and Tom Seaver.
                  You mean by a full 9 inning no hitter. They were no hit in the 80s in a rain shortened game.
                  Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                    You mean by a full 9 inning no hitter.
                    There is no other kind in the record books now.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Charlie Lea, who was the first French-born pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the major leagues, has died. He was 54.

Comment

For those who don't click on links, ...

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Charlie Lea, who was the first French-born pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the major leagues, has died. He was 54.

Collierville Police Lt. Doug Marshall confirmed Friday night that Lea was found dead at his home by his wife at about 4:30 p.m. The cause of death was not immediately known.

Born in Orleans, France, Lea pitched from 1980 until 1988. He spent six seasons with the Montreal Expos and one season with the Minnesota Twins.

On May 9, 1981, Lea threw a no-hitter as the Expos beat the San Francisco Giants 4-0 in the second game of a doubleheader. The right-hander was an All-Star in 1984. His career record was 62-48, with an ERA of 3.54.

Lea had worked as a radio commentator for the minor league Memphis Redbirds since 2002.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Wow, what sad news. Lea's no-no was the first no-hitter I experienced as a baseball fan. So young at age 54. RIP.

Comment

ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP) -- Police say former major league outfielder Danny Clyburn Jr. has been shot and killed in his South Carolina hometown.

Lancaster police say officers found the 37-year-old Clyburn in the front yard of his home around 2 a.m. Tuesday. Police say witnesses told them they saw Clyburn arguing with 36-year-old Derrick Lamont McIlwain shortly before Clyburn was shot. Police say McIlwain turned himself in to authorities later Tuesday and was charged with murder.

Clyburn was a second-round pick of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1992 and played parts of three seasons in the majors with the Baltimore Orioles and Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the late 1990s. In 41 games and 109 at-bats, he hit .211 with four homers and eight RBIs.

Last edited by revo; 03-04-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

It amazes me how baseball cards stick with you, even 30 years later. I saw Rick Behenna listed on the In Memoriam section on BR.com, and I instantly thought "Rick Behenna? From the Braves and Indians?"

Former major league pitcher Rick Behenna died after battling cancer. He was 51. Behenna, who pitched for Atlanta and Cleveland, went 3-10 with a 6.12 ERA in three seasons as a starter and reliever. Behenna was part of the 1983 trade that sent outfielder Brett Butler and third baseman Brook Jacoby from Atlanta to Cleveland for pitcher Len Barker.

Comment

Former Major League pitcher Terry Mathews, who spent all or parts of eight seasons with four teams, passed away last Friday. He was 47, and the cause of death was a heart attack, according to the Rangers.

Mathews was the Rangers fifth round pick out of the University of Lousiana-Monroe. He made his Major League debut with the Rangers on June 21, 1991, and was 4-0 with a 3.61 ERA in 34 games for them that season.

He was 2-4 with a 5.95 ERA in 40 games for the Rangers in 1992. He was with the Marlins in 1994-96, the Orioles from 1996-98 and with the Royals in 1999. He made a total of 324 appearances in the Major Leagues, and compiled a record of 22-21 with a 4.25 ERA. He made five starts in his career, and had 10 saves.

Comment

Working...
                                X