No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Miller, longtime pitching coach for the Orioles, Twins and Pirates who also briefly managed the Orioles and Twins, died on Tuesday at age 76. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Del Crandall, Braves catcher and MLB manager for two teams, died at age 91. He was the last of the Boston Braves. He also is the manager who gave Robin Yount his start at age 18 for the Brewers.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Ray Miller, longtime pitching coach for the Orioles, Twins and Pirates who also briefly managed the Orioles and Twins, died on Tuesday at age 76. RIP.

Long-time O's fans have fond memories of Miller. He is given credit for the great success of the O's pitchers during the late '70's and early '80's. He just doesnt look right to me in anything but an Orioles uni. RIP.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett, 2B for the Pirates and of the still unmatched 7-7 perfect hitting game fame, passed away.

Rennie Stennett, the first and only player to go 7-for-7 in a major league game, died Tuesday after a long battle with cancer.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Rennie Stennett, 2B for the Pirates and of the still unmatched 7-7 perfect hitting game fame, passed away.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rennie-sten...174604968.html
            Damn, he was a part of the 'We Are Family' Pirates. And he had a great name for the 1970s. RIP.

Looking at his career stats, I'd hate to be the guy (Judge Jude?) who drafted Stennett in the early rounds of their 1978 fantasy draft. In 1977, he hit .336 with 28 SBs, and the next year he hit .243 with 2 SBs.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Rennie Stennett, 2B for the Pirates and of the still unmatched 7-7 perfect hitting game fame, passed away.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rennie-sten...174604968.html
              Stennett was never the same player again after breaking his ankle in late 1977. He died of cancer at age 72. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Richie Scheinblum, an outfielder who was an All Star in 1972 and who played for 6 teams over 8 MLB seasons, died at age 78. RIP.

Comment

• Mike Marshall, a pitcher who had a 14-year career and in 1974 set the record for most appearances with 106 and won the NL Cy Young, and who later became a medical doctor, died at age 78. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Mike Marshall, a pitcher who had a 14-year career and in 1974 set the record for most appearances with 106 and won the NL Cy Young, and who later became a medical doctor, died at age 78. RIP.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Whoa, that was one of those cards, I can’t place the name, but it was 1970s and I believe it was like a subscription plan.

Comment

Whoa, that was one of those cards, I can’t place the name, but it was 1970s and I believe it was like a subscription plan.
                        Sportscaster cards were issued on a subscription basis (weekly i believe) from 1977-1979. They issued 91 different packs of 24 cards (2184 total) of just about every sport there was. The cards measure 4.75 x 6.25 inches. The most valuable cards from the set are rookie cards of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Sportscaster cards were issued on a subscription basis (weekly i believe) from 1977-1979. They issued 91 different packs of 24 cards (2184 total) of just about every sport there was. The cards measure 4.75 x 6.25 inches. The most valuable cards from the set are rookie cards of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird.
                          I was thinking of the Time-Life(?) cards that were for everything, not just sports. But this seems to have copied that. Nice find.

BTW, on that "Relief Pitching" card, the silhouette in the top right corner is of a cricket player, not a baseball player. bwahaahaha.

This is what I was thinking of: here's a Wildlife set from 1981:

Comment

• Phil Lombardi, a catcher who played for the Yankees and Mets from 1986-1989, died at age 58. RIP

Comment

I was thinking of the Time-Life(?) cards that were for everything, not just sports. But this seems to have copied that. Nice find.

BTW, on that "Relief Pitching" card, the silhouette in the top right corner is of a cricket player, not a baseball player. bwahaahaha.

This is what I was thinking of: here's a Wildlife set from 1981:

Wow. I remember those safari cards. Not as much fun as “garbage pail kids” in my view, but a cool trip down memory lane.

Comment

• Jim "Mudcat" Grant, who won 21 games in 1965 for the AL Champion Minnesota Twins, died at age 85. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X