2K16: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Brad Boxberger out 8 weeks with core muscle injury. Bump up Colome in the short term.
    My AL-only 5x5 keeper league changed from Saves to Saves+Holds this year. I have Colome for $3. Keeper?

Comment

So this is probably a dumb question, but is Ken Giles guaranteed to be the closer in Houston? Gregerson keeps making noise about wanting to be the closer plus Giles has been straight up awful all spring long.

There's no way Giles isn't the closer........right?
      I mean... I don't necessarily feel 100% confident. I'd say maybe 80% at this point. Astros are smart enough to realize that maybe their most talented reliever being the 8th inning guy is not so bad.

Comment

I ask because I have a share of a $4 Gregerson who would be a slam-dunk keep for me even if he started the year or sniffed any sort of save-related anything. I guess nothing is likely to change on that front in the next 5 days, though, right?

Giles got knocked around yet again yesterday and his ERA is in double digits. Maybe one of the old "we need to go with the experienced guy" scenarios is forming? Probably just wishful thinking, lol.
        Giles losing his job before the season starts is a real long shot, but if you are looking for an excuse to keep Gregerson, I could just quote you on the volatility of closers. Giles isn't Mariano Rivera. If his struggles continue into the regular season, it won't take too long for Gregerson to get his shot.

Comment

I ask because I have a share of a $4 Gregerson who would be a slam-dunk keep for me even if he started the year or sniffed any sort of save-related anything. I guess nothing is likely to change on that front in the next 5 days, though, right?

Giles got knocked around yet again yesterday and his ERA is in double digits. Maybe one of the old "we need to go with the experienced guy" scenarios is forming? Probably just wishful thinking, lol.
          For whatever it's worth, Ken Giles was AWFUL at the start of 2015. I don't know what his spring stats were, but I owned him in my NL league, and I live in Philadelphia so I got to see the games on TV with my own eyes. The first couple weeks of the season he was absolutely painful. I was sure that he was hurt. He wasn't throwing nearly as hard as the end of 2014. Then as he got more games under his belt, the velocity came right back up, and the rest is history. Don't know if there's a pattern here or not.

Comment

They also paid an awful lot for Giles, so he'll have a pretty long leash, IMO. Gregerson might start the season with a few opportunities, but I doubt that it'll last too long.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

As I get closer to draft day this Sat for my NL league these players are the targets I see for my league.

Cin Hoover as closer. Cingrani set-up
              Col Mcgee as closer Motte, Quals set up
              Mil Smith as closer Knebel (I have Jeffress)
              Phi Hernandez as closer? Bailey as closer?
              SD Rodney as closer. Quackenbush, Vincent, Edwards

Other possible set-ups who could move into closer role.

Hudson
              Romo
              Strickland

Looking at all these closers with the possible exception of McGee could have a revolving door. I will need to grab another closer in my league already have Familia. I don't plan on spending big dollars but how much would you spend in a 10 team 5x5 NL league?

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                As I get closer to draft day this Sat for my NL league these players are the targets I see for my league.

Cin Hoover as closer. Cingrani set-up
                Col Mcgee as closer Motte, Quals set up
                Mil Smith as closer Knebel (I have Jeffress)
                Phi Hernandez as closer? Bailey as closer?
                SD Rodney as closer. Quackenbush, Vincent, Edwards

Other possible set-ups who could move into closer role.

Hudson
                Romo
                Strickland

Looking at all these closers with the possible exception of McGee could have a revolving door. I will need to grab another closer in my league already have Familia. I don't plan on spending big dollars but how much would you spend in a 10 team 5x5 NL league?
                I'd probably try to go cheap... ideally a guy who can give you usable ratios as a setup guy, who you can leave active and spend a few bucks on (Strickland?), and another guy who you probably wouldn't want active unless he was closing (Motte, maybe?). Unless you can get an actual closer in the 8-10 dollar range, in a 10-team league maybe you can pull off McGee or Smith. I like Andrew Bailey as someone you might get cheap - I think he's moved ahead of Hernandez. I also thought Jumbo Diaz was the setup guy in CIN?

Comment

scrap Hoover. Buy all your shares of Jumbo Diaz. Skills always win out and he has them while Hoover doesn't

Comment

Always a good source to keep up-to-date on bullpen situations...

Comment

Carson Smith is not in the clear - https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/712270366136274944

Comment

I really do believe Milwaukee's situation will be situational (pun intended) with both Smith and Jeffress getting double digits through the year in saves and holds.

A guy I'm keeping an eye on is Drew Pomeranz in SD. I can see him developing into a dominant reliever and there isn't much in the path to saves there.
                        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Andrew Bailey had his first hiccup of the spring Tuesday, giving up three runs and four hits in his inning against the Twins.
                          Advice: The four hits were all singles. One was a bunt, and another was a modest fly to right that could have been caught. So, perhaps the outing isn't all that much of a setback for Bailey. We'd still rate him as the favorite for saves in the Philly bullpen.
                          (Rotoworld.com)

The guy was lights out for Oakland 2009-2011. Injuries stacked up. He has only 40 IP since 2011.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Is Tony Cingrani working his way into the mix in Cincy?

Comment

For me Bailey would be an end game pick or a reserve pick. I read where he was throwing about 90.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                                Is Tony Cingrani working his way into the mix in Cincy?
                                He has pitched well so far but still walking too many players.

Comment

Working...
                                X