Using VD to learn SQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using VD to learn SQL

So, I figured I might as well use VD for some career development. Seems to have worked well for Seitzer.

So, first off, I need to put the spreadsheets into some sort of DB. I have access 2013, but I figure I should be using something else. Suggestions? Free is better than not free.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I feel like I'm loading a bunch of stuff I don't want... it's asking me type and networking configuration questions right now.

Comment

The way it normally runs is that it starts a server on your computer and then you use the client to connect to it. I'm not sure there's another way to do it. And you probably are loading a bunch of stuff you don't want, but when you're done it'll all get deleted easily enough. If you're short of disk space I can try to figure out the minimum subset though.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I feel like half my education should be in understanding this set up process, instead I'm just clicking next...

Comment

At least on my udemy login, this course from 2015 is free, intro-level and appears to be relatively brief.
            It is Baseball Database Queries on the Lahman database with dplyr.
            dplyr is a data package for R, one of the most popular open-source statistical programs

Course Description:

In this course, we explain the relationship between SQL and the R package dplyr. I will show you how to query a baseball database with SQL in Microsoft Access and then show you how to do exactly the same thing with dplyr in R. We will begin with simple queries, progress to aggregation and grouping, and finish with queries involving joins. By the end of the course, you should be able to use dplyr to explore your own data sets.

At a relaxed pace, it should take about three weeks to complete the course. The course is for beginners in SQL, R, and dplyr. You also do not have to understand very much about baseball. We will be using the Lahman Baseball Database, R, dplyr, and Microsoft Access. I will show you how to install everything.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
            X