Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Cutting the Cable - Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    The hardest thing for me is cutting the Internet service from the TV.

I could do totally without a TV package of any kind, as I could easily get what I want from a combination of Roku / Amazon Prime / Netflix / whatever. But my cable Internet provider is Comcast (ugh). They charge something like $75/month for my current Internet speed, which is fast as hell --- like 150 Mbps.

As far as I can figure, the only way to really cut the cord would be to eliminate Comcast and go with some second rate Internet provider. We don't get Verizon FIOS or Google Fiber in my town, sadly. And since I pay something like $30 extra for the TV stuff as an addon to my Internet, it hardly seems worth it. Our total bill with all the costs is like $115/month. Our total bill with Internet as a standalone product would be something like $85/month.

I want so badly to get rid of Comcast forever. But I just can't figure how.
    Full disclosure, I have 100 mbps internet from the local cable company that costs me a similar price that you pay. I didn't cut the internet cord but my tv bill went from 121 per month to 44.95. Maybe that is why I see no picture difference from Dish to Vue. I'm still happy I told Dish to F off.

Comment

I havent had any tv service since 2009 or 2010. The illegal streaming on Kodi isnt the best quality to me so I grab all my tv shows off usenet and stream them from my pc to various TV's in the house.

I use my parents comcast login to watch live sports streaming but they might be dumping comcast soon so I'll be screwed when that happens.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        I've had Vue now for 8 days and get just as good a picture as I did with Dish Network. Get all ESPN channels, Fox Sports 1 and 2, Big Ten Network, Fox Sports North, All the news channels, all the cable channels like TBS, TNT, FX, FXX. USA. All the kids channels. 120 plus channels and not only is it 44.95..but that includes all taxes etc. No equipment to rent. If it stays this good, can't wait to see how much they can improve it and or get some internet tv competition from maybe Microsoft or someone similar.
        I looked at PS Vue sometime back. But, I wasn't able to find whether you can connect to multiple TVs at once? I assume you can't. Thanks.

Comment

I think you can have up to 5 streams at a time if you have the internet to handle it. As long as you have An amazon fire, roku or chromecast on each tv you can. My son watches on his tv at the same time I watch on mine. Don't get me wrong, Satellite has better program guides and is faster to switch between channels...but if it stays working like it currently is, I'll be more than happy with it. The channel lineup for the price is very robust and has Fox Sports 2 and Epix which my 120 dish bill didn't. I've only had it a couple weeks but I have not had 1 day where a show came on I wanted to watch and it didn't have it (outside of the networks which they don't have in my area).

Comment

comcast calls me on average about 3 times a week for some reason for the past 3 or 4 years i think. i've never actually picked up the phone but i check the number. there used to be just one number but now it's two. it's pretty annoying. t first i thought it was because i needed to upgrade my modem, but they are just telemarketing. and i think they gave my number to somebody else too to do it.

i could switch to verizon but they'll just do the same shit. i cut the cord some years ago, got the internet down to $50. if i watch tv i just use the internet. i used to like leaving the tv on the fx channel and falling asleep and waking up and a movie would be on. it was good because i don't really pay attention to that stuff and i could watch movies a few years after they come out. now i have no idea what movies they make these days unless i actively look. ..although it looks like they are just remaking them, heh.

naw.. you know im cool with watching tv. i don't think i want to know what ppl are watching these days.

Comment

I cancelled last November. Never miss it.
              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I haven't had cable/direct TV or any other TV service for about 6 years. I still use their High Speed internet, but I have a pretty good deal on their highest bandwidth and it helps that another internet service has laid down fiber optic lines in my area, keeps the cost low and Cox rewards long time customers well (60 a month for their top speed). Netflix, Amazon Prime and several free streaming sites (Crackle for one) get me the content I need, plus some prime time shows (all the NBC shows) stream for free 2 days after they air. Cutting the cord is pretty easy and saves quite a bit nowadays and even the cable companies are now cutting deals, because so many folks are leaving--you just have to catch them at the right time and use whatever leverage you have to broker a deal.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Ok folks, the Griswolds are about to cut the TV cord as well.

We have Time Warner internet and phone, so I'm not sure what may happen to them.

I don't care about the phone, just the internet.

So, what is the best scenario for NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox (local channels)?

I have an Xbox One and I currently already have a Netflix account and Amazon Prime.

I'm thinking Sling to handle the ESPN, TBS, TNT, etc.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Buy Chromecasts for your TVs.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                      Ok folks, the Griswolds are about to cut the TV cord as well.

We have Time Warner internet and phone, so I'm not sure what may happen to them.

I don't care about the phone, just the internet.

So, what is the best scenario for NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox (local channels)?

I have an Xbox One and I currently already have a Netflix account and Amazon Prime.

I'm thinking Sling to handle the ESPN, TBS, TNT, etc.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
                      Sling does not work well with Chromecast. Signal goes in and out too much that it is extremely annoying. Get a Roku if you do Sling. Netflix works fine with chromecast. Oh another down side of using Chromecast is that you will not be able to CAST Amazon Prime to it. Google and Amazon don't get along. Also the Super Bowl last year was only watchable from the CBS app on Roku. Sling though is fine for a little smattering of TV. I enjoyed my time away from cable. I went back just after Thanksgiving....i missed my Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies.

You can watch sports using the Kodi app. Message me though about it. It isn't on the up and up.
                      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                        Sling does not work well with Chromecast. Signal goes in and out too much that it is extremely annoying. Get a Roku if you do Sling. Netflix works fine with chromecast. Oh another down side of using Chromecast is that you will not be able to CAST Amazon Prime to it. Google and Amazon don't get along. Also the Super Bowl last year was only watchable from the CBS app on Roku. Sling though is fine for a little smattering of TV. I enjoyed my time away from cable. I went back just after Thanksgiving....i missed my Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies.

You can watch sports using the Kodi app. Message me though about it. It isn't on the up and up.
                        Thanks Piney!

So, what about local channels?

It appears that I'll need an indoor antenna?

it appears that the Mohu's are the top rated brand.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Comment

Indoor antenna should be just fine. I haven't missed cable other than playoff hockey when the Wild have been involved, but then I just invite myself somewhere, or head to a watering hole to watch.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

I don't know about time Warner but cox just started offering a streaming app which you can install on up to five devices for about 25 bucks. It offers all local channels, including the ESPNs. It's only available in certain markets right now but they are expanding. I am looking into it first thing next year when it's available in Vegas

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                              I don't know about time Warner but cox just started offering a streaming app which you can install on up to five devices for about 25 bucks. It offers all local channels, including the ESPNs. It's only available in certain markets right now but they are expanding. I am looking into it first thing next year when it's available in Vegas
                              Thanks, I checked with Time Warner. They don't have this yet.

Comment

I share a netflix account with my in laws, but almost never use it.

I share a amazon prime account with 4 randoms I found on ebay. Almost never use it. Neither the streaming nor the free shipping.

I use my antenna in the attic connected to all the tv's in the house. But rarely watch live tv except for sports and occasional late night junk like Jimmy Fallon.

What I do use is Sonarr/sabnzbd/usenet to grab all the tv shows I want to watch and then stream them from my home server to any tv in the house. Is this better than netflix? Well, the quality on the low end is netflix 1080p quality. On the high end its much, much better. I've never tried netflix 4k so maybe thats really good, dont know. Also I get tv shows immediately after they air and I'm not limited to what netflix has available.

I also use my parents comcast login for live sports streaming or anything else comcast offers to stream.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X