No announcement yet.

*** VD 11 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forget how these era drafts work. Is it straight up best player or do we do letters too?
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      I forget how these era drafts work. Is it straight up best player or do we do letters too?
      Good question ... I'll check the rules of the last one ... gimme a sec

This was the Modern Era summary:

Limited player pool: 1970-present only (eligibility determined by the BY chosen)
      No letter, decade or franchise restrictions
      10x10
      25 Rounds (14 hitters & 11 pitchers)
      Multi + 0.75
      No KO's

The Golden Era summary

Limited player pool: 1920-69 (eligibility determined by the BY chosen)
      10x10
      Multi + 0.75
      No KO's

So I guess we go with:

Limited player pool: 1870-1919 inclusive (eligibility determined by the BY chosen)
      8x8 (removing HR's and Saves)
      Multi + 1
      No KO's

Comment

I think we should do letters, but since everyone in this era had a nickname, we should do letters based on nicknames. Like Walter Johnson would count as your B.

Comment

Sorry, I'll play if I can still. Thanks.

Comment

I suppose we could do letters or put some kind of limit ... given that we are drafting 4 less players each. I don't have time now, but I'll look at the player pool tomorrow and see if there is enough players to accommodate it at the lesser letters. I doubt the QUIZY's could handle it though.

We could also say 3 players per decade, and 1 floating decade.

Or

Max 2 hitters and 2 pitchers per decade (that would be less difficult)

Comment

Min 2 hitters and 2 pitchers per decade (that would be less difficult)

fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                So I guess we go with:

Limited player pool: 1870-1919 inclusive (eligibility determined by the BY chosen)
                8x8 (removing HR's and Saves)
                Multi + 1
                No KO's
                Inclusive? I hate to ask the stupid question, but does that mean any player who played past 1919 is not eligible?
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  Inclusive? I hate to ask the stupid question, but does that mean any player who played past 1919 is not eligible?
                  Yeah an eligible 1919 year is good. 1920 is not good.

So Babe Ruth is draftable, because he has 2 eligible years in the 1910's.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    Min 2 hitters and 2 pitchers per decade (that would be less difficult)

fixed?
                    My brain wasn't working when I wrote that ... I was literally just awake.

If we go 14 hitters and 11 pitchers, and there are 5 decades (1870, 80, 90, 1900, 10) ... what is the best format to get an even spread?

- 5 players from each decade (hitter or pitcher) would be decent, and simple.

Comment

Well, if we go with Johnny's idea of 5 from each regardless if H or P then you could just draft all 1870 P's. (Side note: what's up with my phone auto correcting P to Pixar? I've never typed that in my life. Seems like an odd choice.)

Comment

I just pulled up the VD10 spreadsheet and looked at the number of eligible pre-1920 catchers.

If there are no decade restrictions, the worst catcher taken will be someone in the vein of Johnny Kling.

Code:
                        klingjo01_1903	klingjo01	Kling	Johnny	1903	491	146	3	68	67	23	0.297	4241	1151	20	513	474	123	0.271
                        klingjo01_1902	klingjo01	Kling	Johnny	1902	431	123	0	57	49	24	0.285	4241	1151	20	513	474	123	0.271
                        klingjo01_1910	klingjo01	Kling	Johnny	1910	297	80	2	32	31	3	0.269	4241	1151	20	513	474	123	0.271
                        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                          Sorry, I'll play if I can still. Thanks.
                          Hey Johnny. You forgot frae on the Draft Thread. If we can get one more, we'd have the same number of players as VD10, making construction of the tracking sheet a lot easier.
                          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                            Hey Johnny. You forgot frae on the Draft Thread. If we can get one more, we'd have the same number of players as VD10, making construction of the tracking sheet a lot easier.
                            I PM'd Chancellor and ControllerJ ... but no no reply.

Thought maybe CJ would be able to play with the delayed start.

I'll go through the list and see if there's anyone we forgot. I asked Swampdragon, but he says it's not his pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                              I'll draft twice. It'll help me catch up since I've opted out of so many.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                I'll draft twice. It'll help me catch up since I've opted out of so many.
                                We could have a community team. We would take turns picking for the additional team. It would be kind of like KO's, but a little different. Anyway, where are we on this ? Still 8 X 8 vintage era ? Start sometime next week ?
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X