Beatles song draft II signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Said the man who picked Octopus' Garden? I can't fathom how one could embrace the goofy spirit of that one, but not Rocky Raccoon.

Anyway, that was fun. I love my roster; I made a playlist of my sequenced album, and it's fab. I would have liked to have had Penny Lane - I probably should have grabbed it instead of Helter Skelter - but Hello Goodbye was a nice consolation prize. In retrospect, I think I cared too much about balancing my roster with Lennon tracks at the expense of McCartney tracks I really liked better. But, hey, in a Beatles draft, you can't lose.

As in the last Beatles song draft, there were some Beatles For Sale gems that were left untouched. Which leaves me to wonder why I picked Sexy Sadie with my last pick instead of one of them.

Until the next one (after Bruce Springsteen - yuck) - cheerio!
    Because "Octopus's Garden" actually has a great melody and is downright catchy. But that is lost on the snobs here
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Undrafted solo songs I would have taken:

John: Mind Games, How Do You Sleep?, Hold On and most anything else from John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band that wasn't taken.
      Paul: Junior's Farm, Listen to What the Man Said, Silly Love Songs, Goodnight Tonight, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five.
      George: I'd Have You Anytime, If Not for You, Heading for the Light, Crackerbox Palace, All Those Years Ago.
      Ringo: nothing. It Don't Come Easy and Photograph are the only ones I'd ever have considered. I've heard the "Ringo" album is good but I've never listened to it.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I think you guys did a pretty good job on this draft. I have enjoyed the comments.

How about a two day challenge? For those that are up for it how about trying to work out one trade each?
        Sheep, I'll trade you 'Penny Lane' for 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• If y'all wanna do a Springsteen draft, someone else will have to organize it, as I don't particularly care for him and won't be participating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            If y'all wanna do a Springsteen draft, someone else will have to organize it, as I don't particularly care for him and won't be participating.
            I think only 3 people have expressed interest so unlikely it will happen.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Hi gang!

Just seeing this draft now, sorry I missed it. I haven't been around this past year because I've had a few health problems and at the same time I've been trying to cut a chunk of technology out of my life; I've stopped participating in a myriad of things I used to do on the web, Sports Bar included. Hey, no offense!

My first reaction to this draft is that I picked "She Loves You" with I believe the 2nd pick in the first draft, and this time it went #82, so you are still the same bunch of douchebags I remember.
              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Gah... You guys didn't pick "Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five", Paul's best solo song? What happened Revo?

And George's great "I'd Have You Anytime"? A strange phenomenon with this one. The lead-off track to George's much-loved masterpiece LP. Co-written with the master, Bob Dylan. With a beautiful guitar lead by Eric Clapton himself. Produced by Phil Spector. Yet, I would bet not 1 in a 100 rock fans could name it on hearing it. It never seemed to get any airplay, and I always thought it was one of the greatest things on this here Planet Earth. And it goes unpicked in this draft. Sigh.

Imagine #109? WHAT?! Top 20!

Ringo's other real classic besides "It Don't Come Easy" was "I'm The Greatest"; John wrote it and sang on it, George played lead, with Klaus Voorman and Billy Preston. I always loved it and would have picked it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                  Gah... You guys didn't pick "Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five", Paul's best solo song? What happened Revo?
                  of course "Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five" was on my list, but there's too many avant-gardes here, so my list was pretty well populated that it missed the cut. Heck, I could probably still go another 10 rounds! Lennon's late seventies stuff went largely untouched, as did most of the Wings catalog. I was tempted to take "Rockestra" or "Mull of Kintyre"! I still can't believe "Helen Wheels" went undrafted! If things went real deep, I was going to pull out "Spies Like Us!"

Comment

• It was my fault that 1985 didn't go. I was under strict instructions from Alice to take it, but got a little confused and took "Let Me Roll It" instead. We had talked about both, and LMRI was part of the whole John/Paul bomb throwing campaign. She was pretty pissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      of course "Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five" was on my list, but there's too many avant-gardes here, so my list was pretty well populated that it missed the cut. Heck, I could probably still go another 10 rounds! Lennon's late seventies stuff went largely untouched, as did most of the Wings catalog. I was tempted to take "Rockestra" or "Mull of Kintyre"! I still can't believe "Helen Wheels" went undrafted! If things went real deep, I was going to pull out "Spies Like Us!"
                      Umm...the reason most of the Wings catalog went undrafted is the same reason Pedro Ciriaco did not get drafted in most auctions. They both kind of suck. They do not get picked unless the game rules are so deep that folks are forced to take the lesser of evils.

Comment

• I'd Have You Anytime was on my list and I would have taken it had Let It Down been swiped from me.

The Wings song that was a travesty to go undrafted was Listen to What the Man Said. Hell, it was a travesty that Jet lasted to me late in the 12th.

Comment

• The Foot ranks 'em!

I simply went down the rosters assigning a 1-10 ranking to each song. And the winner is...

1. ElDiablo- 115
                          Impressive overall, with three 10s - Hey Jude, Eleanor Rigby, Imagine
                          Worst pick: Only one less than a 6 was Lovely Rita.

2. Lucky - 108
                          Great job on the solo stuff, big props for things like Old Brown Shoe and Mother Nature's Son, lots of 8s.
                          Worst pick: Paperback Writer too high at #15.

3. Erik - 105
                          All solid picks, points for George's Let It Down, and Martha My Dear's a 9 in my book.
                          Worst pick: Strange to see I Want You (She's So Heavy) at #18

4. DMT - 99
                          Three 10s with In My Life, Penny Lane and A Day In The Life, two 9s with I Should Have Known Better and Please Please Me, but some letdown picks in the later rounds.
                          Worst pick: Love You To does not belong in this draft.

5. Johnny - 97
                          A few personal faves (Jealous Guy, I'm Only Sleeping) and Something & Yesterday are 10s, but hurt by me not being a fan of Norwegian Wood and Across The Universe.
                          Worst pick: I know it was 15th round, but Starting Over gets an ugh. And From Me To You is a solid meh.

6. Revo - 93
                          Major props for George's Give Me Love, big fan of a bunch of songs like Your Mother Should Know and Mean Mr. Mustard, but a very bad end of the draft.
                          Worst pick: Taking The No No Song over Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five is just bananas.

7. Sheep - 92
                          Helter Skelter's the only 10, Strawberry Fields the only 9, 8s for While My Guitar Gently Weeps and YES, Uncle Albert.
                          Worst pick: I always found You Won't See Me to be lame. I remember the Anne Murray version in the 70s.

8. The Gaffer- 91
                          Love Savoy Truffle in the 5th round, big points for You're Gonna Lose That Girl and Here Comes The Sun, My Sweet Lord's a classic, but a real tail-off in the second half.
                          Worst pick: End Of The Line, no way no how.

9. Swampdragon - 88
                          The steal of the draft in She Loves You at #82, Blackbird and Live And Let Die get the thumb's up, but some head-scratchers in there.
                          Worst pick: What's That You're Doing... good God Swampy, I mean, really, Jesus Christ, wtf.

10. Mith - 83
                          Sorry Mith, you had a couple of greats with I Want To Hold Your Hand and I Feel Fine... but a whole lot of 5s and 6s and 7s after that.
                          Worst pick: You really didn't have a bad one, but I would never pick Maxwell or Think For Yourself.

Comment

The Foot ranks 'em!

I simply went down the rosters assigning a 1-10 ranking to each song. And the winner is...

9. Swampdragon - 88
                            The steal of the draft in She Loves You at #82, Blackbird and Live And Let Die get the thumb's up, but some head-scratchers in there.
                            Worst pick: What's That You're Doing... good God Swampy, I mean, really, Jesus Christ, wtf.
                            fair enough - it was a crappy pick - I kind of lost interest towards the end

but on the good side - I spent the week listening to Beatles music on youtube and discovered that there a lot of good stuff out there

Comment

The Foot ranks 'em!

1. ElDiablo- 115
                              Impressive overall, with three 10s - Hey Jude, Eleanor Rigby, Imagine
                              Worst pick: Only one less than a 6 was Lovely Rita.

2. Lucky - 108
                              Great job on the solo stuff, big props for things like Old Brown Shoe and Mother Nature's Son, lots of 8s.
                              Worst pick: Paperback Writer too high at #15.

3. Erik - 105
                              All solid picks, points for George's Let It Down, and Martha My Dear's a 9 in my book.
                              Worst pick: Strange to see I Want You (She's So Heavy) at #18

4. DMT - 99
                              Three 10s with In My Life, Penny Lane and A Day In The Life, two 9s with I Should Have Known Better and Please Please Me, but some letdown picks in the later rounds.
                              Worst pick: Love You To does not belong in this draft.

5. Johnny - 97
                              A few personal faves (Jealous Guy, I'm Only Sleeping) and Something & Yesterday are 10s, but hurt by me not being a fan of Norwegian Wood and Across The Universe.
                              Worst pick: I know it was 15th round, but Starting Over gets an ugh. And From Me To You is a solid meh.

6. Revo - 93
                              Major props for George's Give Me Love, big fan of a bunch of songs like Your Mother Should Know and Mean Mr. Mustard, but a very bad end of the draft.
                              Worst pick: Taking The No No Song over Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five is just bananas.

7. Sheep - 92
                              Helter Skelter's the only 10, Strawberry Fields the only 9, 8s for While My Guitar Gently Weeps and YES, Uncle Albert.
                              Worst pick: I always found You Won't See Me to be lame. I remember the Anne Murray version in the 70s.

8. The Gaffer- 91
                              Love Savoy Truffle in the 5th round, big points for You're Gonna Lose That Girl and Here Comes The Sun, My Sweet Lord's a classic, but a real tail-off in the second half.
                              Worst pick: End Of The Line, no way no how.

9. Swampdragon - 88

10. Mith - 83
                              Sorry Mith, you had a couple of greats with I Want To Hold Your Hand and I Feel Fine... but a whole lot of 5s and 6s and 7s after that.
                              Worst pick: You really didn't have a bad one, but I would never pick Maxwell or Think For Yourself.
                              Not shocked. My musical tastes almost NEVER align with any of you guys. The guys here seem to have an aversion to light, pop music that is just made to be fun.

The bass in "Think For Yourself" is sweet. And I love the lyrics. "Maxwell" is obviously a like/hate song, and I think it is full of great melodies and sounds.

And THANKS FOOT!!!
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• The "Double Fantasy" album John Lennon signed for Mark David Chapman hours before Chapman assassinated him on December 8, 1980 is up for auction again.

The album has already been sold twice in the past -- for $150k in 1999, and between $600-800k in 2010. It will be auctioned off on Monday at Goldin Auctions ... which expects it to go for as much as $2 million.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/20/john-...llion-auction/
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X