No announcement yet.

Beatles song draft II signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Never Give Me Your Money was next on my list. I thought I'd grab it while others were going solo.

Even though it is part of the medley, it's over four minutes and stands well on its own. Great song. Great guitar work at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Yoko songs on Double Fantasy - eligible or no? Discuss.
      Really? I mean, really?

How about a nice Linda McCartney tune?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        Really? I mean, really?

How about a nice Linda McCartney tune?
        Definitely sarcasm.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• We'll have to go 45 rounds before anyone thinks about taking a Yoko tune.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

You Never Give Me Your Money was next on my list. I thought I'd grab it while others were going solo.

Even though it is part of the medley, it's over four minutes and stands well on its own. Great song. Great guitar work at the end.
            I do enjoy the guitar work you speak of!

I also love the parts:

"Oh that magic feeling!"

"Pick up the bags, get in the limousine" - might be might favorite line in any Beatles song. love love love the way Paul sings it.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I do enjoy the guitar work you speak of!

I also love the parts:

"Oh that magic feeling!"

"Pick up the bags, get in the limousine" - might be might favorite line in any Beatles song. love love love the way Paul sings it.
              My wife and I have the theory that Paul had around sixty distinct voices he could use depending upon the circumstances. He used several of them in YNGMYM, including on the lines you mention, both of which were magic. I will fire that up as soon as I get home. Great pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                All Things Must Pass is amazingly consistent for an album with that many songs on it. Of course, many of them were written for the Beatles but not used since John and Paul limited him to two songs per album. (Famously, the title track was supposed to be on Let It Be, but no one was happy with any of the takes.) I know very little about the rest of his output, but he didn't have an album as commercially or critically successful until Cloud Nine in 1987.
                Right. That album is amazing. And from there, it kind of falls off. He did write the prettiest of the Beatles tunes though.

Comment

The guitar player in the band I'm in says just that...if he notices the drummer, there is a problem.

I have a couple of criteria. When I'm playing, I need a drummer who is dead solid, someone who is always on the beat and I can lock in with. Ringo was always there, whether it was a fast song, slow song, tempo changes, whatever.

Listening, I want a drummer who can provide dynamics to complement the soundscape. Too many drummers know only two settings...fast and loud. Ringo was so underrated because he was never flashy, but he provided just exactly what the band needed. He was a total professional behind the kit, and someone I have grown to respect more over the years. He probably didn't get as much respect as he should have at the time because of his persona off-stage.
                  People say similar things about Charlie Watts, too, which, again, given my limited understanding, makes me curious about whether it's a similar kind of minimalism.

Clearly Rush wasn't designed that way - its like you're supposed to notice Neal Peart.

Izzy Stradlin once said that he knew G'N'R had become a heavy metal band and not a hard rock band when Stephen Adler left and Matt Sorum replaced him. Again, it's something I don't quite have the ear for, but it's an interesting comment, and any more insight on this (or any drumming stuff) is appreciated.

Comment

• nobody drums like this cat - man

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
                      People say similar things about Charlie Watts, too, which, again, given my limited understanding, makes me curious about whether it's a similar kind of minimalism.

Clearly Rush wasn't designed that way - its like you're supposed to notice Neal Peart.

Izzy Stradlin once said that he knew G'N'R had become a heavy metal band and not a hard rock band when Stephen Adler left and Matt Sorum replaced him. Again, it's something I don't quite have the ear for, but it's an interesting comment, and any more insight on this (or any drumming stuff) is appreciated.

Here is actually what I look for in a drummer, not some lightweight light Peart or Sorum.

Comment

• Maybe I'm Amazed is a great choice as the first non-Beatles tune. Funny though, it was released in 1970 but didn't become a hit until the live version was released as a single in 1977.

Comment

• Hey Bulldog absolute steal in the 4th! :-)
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Maybe I'm Amazed is a great choice as the first non-Beatles tune. Funny though, it was released in 1970 but didn't become a hit until the live version was released as a single in 1977.
                            I didn't know that about the live version. I forgot it was not released as a single in 1970, but only as a live single in '77. I still remember going into the nearest town, 25 miles away, to buy "McCartney" on 8-track when it was released, just like it was yesterday.

Comment

• I love Maybe I'm Amazed. Unfortunately, if his performance at the SNL 40th anniversary show is any indication, Paul's voice can't handle it anymore.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                I love Maybe I'm Amazed. Unfortunately, if his performance at the SNL 40th anniversary show is any indication, Paul's voice can't handle it anymore.
                                I'm not the worlds greatest Macca fan to say the least, but the dude is 73 years old

Comment

Working...
                                X