*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Yeah, I guess that's pretty much what I thought. None of that really appeals to me all that much. To each their own, I suppose.
    The first time was nice for what we wanted to just sit by pool and relax. It was only the 2 of us and we didn't rent a car . As I said we got to meet other couples and hung out as a group.

The other 2 times we had a lot of family so didn't need to make friends plus my drinking days have changed dramatically . Plus we had cars and my sister who can speak Spanish as a tour guide.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Oops I tried to edit my comment and deleted it.

My wife wants to do an all-inclusive soon but wants to go far away to do it. Seems to me that if you're just going to stay on a resort you might as well pick the cheapest place to get to, right?
      if all you want to do is stay at a beach/pool you pick out the all inclusive that has what you want. I had it a little different because we had a condo we stayed at then had a choice of several resorts. we picked out one that had a swim up bar. so we could stay n the water. They usually have day trips you could do from the resort. I am only an xpert on mexico resorts tho.

Ps - my sister who goes all the time rarely uses the all inclusive part of her condo
      Last edited by hacko; 11-28-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
        Hmmm, I just downloaded a new spread sheet to double check, but it has me with 13 BY ERA points and with 6 BY Whip points. No?
        I downloaded the latest sheet and you are at 12 and 5 after the latest pick. There was some difference from my round 10 sheet but I'm too lazy to figure out what it was.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Another oddity -- with 10P and 13H Frae and Diablo are within one point in three categories (CH, BH, BP) and 2 points in CP. This race is really tight as far as I can tell, have absolutely no idea who is going to finish where.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• If you drink a lot, are part of a large group, or have kids, AI is great. Did a lot of AI's over the years, but in fairness, didn't use them fully. We tended to exploit the AI and use the resort as a free base of operations. It was especially good on island like Majorca, which is a reasonably large with an excellent road network ... you could constantly travel around the whole island and barely miss a meal ... they'd even make you a packed lunch if you knew your were going to be away.

One time we got 7 days AI to Majorca, and a car rental for like £400 all in.

Costa Brava was great for access to Barcelona (and cheap), Costa Dorado was great for access to Barcelona and Valencia (and cheap). If you wanted to go for a city break, you just booked a cheap holiday in a close-by resort.

Thing is, in Europe AI and FB tend to be similar in price because of the intense competition. Caribbean AI resorts tend to be more like locked complexes I believe ... so I'm guessing you getting a much better overall AI experience. Can't speak for Mexico.

That said, I can't imagine going on an typical AI holiday ... locked in a resort, too hot to even move, just waiting around for the next meal. If I'm paying to money I want do something, see something, or experience something.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              Another oddity -- with 10P and 13H Frae and Diablo are within one point in three categories (CH, BH, BP) and 2 points in CP. This race is really tight as far as I can tell, have absolutely no idea who is going to finish where.
              I haven't even bothered to look this draft. Everyone plays so well these days, so it's hard to pick out who's in the lead just by looking at value. With the switch to Decades and 15/12 I have no clue what the projected numbers should be ... can't find any old Speadsheets.

Comment

• Thats how I feel now but the time w used the all-inclusive for 5 days all we wanted to do was chill out. We strted the day at the beach then move up to the pools at about 10. They had 2 pools 1 was an activity pool and the other was a Bar pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post

That said, I can't imagine going on an typical AI holiday ... locked in a resort, too hot to even move, just waiting around for the next meal. If I'm paying to money I want do something, see something, or experience something.
                  I need to do a cruise or AI someday, but I much prefer exploring rather than sitting around and relaxing. We always come home worn out and needing a vacation because we never stop moving. I get restless after about 20 minutes of sitting around it seems. Although sitting around a pool with a cold drink sounds pretty nice about right now.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• standings through 22 rounds
                    Code:
                    x	Team      	CH	CP	BYH	BYP	Multi	Place
                    .01	Frae______	47.4	32.5	47.1	42.8	169.873	6
                    .02	ElDiablo__	41.8	35.6	41.6	44.1	163.079	8
                    .03	Revo_____	47.0	37.2	53.8	34.4	172.469	4
                    .04	Long John	36.8	37.7	37.5	46.8	158.765	9
                    .05	Heyelander	26.9	53.4	22.8	38.5	141.634	12
                    .06	JohnnyA__	50.0	41.9	42.6	39.4	173.810	1
                    .07	Hacko____	50.1	38.4	46.8	38.5	173.792	2
                    .08	mjl_______	43.3	36.6	33.8	33.7	147.360	11
                    .09	TS Garp__	38.6	41.0	41.5	52.4	173.384	3
                    .10	DMT_____	49.0	41.1	47.4	34.8	172.323	5
                    .11	Controller_	34.3	47.7	26.4	40.2	148.580	10
                    .12	Feral Slash	24.6	46.7	48.4	44.1	163.810	7
                    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      Thinking of you all today

[ATTACH=CONFIG]688[/ATTACH]
                      Hope you enjoyed the flaming body shots. Doing them out of nullnor's navel is a hell of an initiation... or so I've heard.
                      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                        standings through 22 rounds
                        Code:
                        x    Team          CH    CP    BYH    BYP    Multi    Place
                        .01    Frae______    47.4    32.5    47.1    42.8    169.873    6
                        .02    ElDiablo__    41.8    35.6    41.6    44.1    163.079    8
                        .03    Revo_____    47.0    37.2    53.8    34.4    172.469    4
                        .04    Long John    36.8    37.7    37.5    46.8    158.765    9
                        .05    Heyelander    26.9    53.4    22.8    38.5    141.634    12
                        .06    JohnnyA__    50.0    41.9    42.6    39.4    173.810    1
                        .07    Hacko____    50.1    38.4    46.8    38.5    173.792    2
                        .08    mjl_______    43.3    36.6    33.8    33.7    147.360    11
                        .09    TS Garp__    38.6    41.0    41.5    52.4    173.384    3
                        .10    DMT_____    49.0    41.1    47.4    34.8    172.323    5
                        .11    Controller_    34.3    47.7    26.4    40.2    148.580    10
                        .12    Feral Slash    24.6    46.7    48.4    44.1    163.810    7
                        Code:
                        x	Team      	CH	CP	BYH	BYP	Multi	Place
                        .01	Frae______	47.4	32.5	47.1	42.8	169.873	6
                        .02	ElDiablo__	41.8	35.6	41.6	44.1	163.079	8
                        .03	Revo_____	47.0	37.2	53.8	34.4	172.469	4
                        .04	Long John	36.8	37.7	37.5	46.8	158.765	9
                        .05	Heyelander	26.9	53.4	22.8	38.5	141.634	12
                        .06	JohnnyA__	50.0	41.9	42.6	39.4	173.810	1
                        .07	Hacko____	50.1	38.4	46.8	38.5	173.792	2
                        .08	mjl_______	43.3	36.6	33.8	33.7	147.360	11
                        .09	TS Garp__	38.6	41.0	41.5	52.4	173.384	3
                        .10	DMT_____	49.0	41.1	47.4	34.8	172.323	5
                        .11	Controller_	34.3	47.7	26.4	40.2	148.580	10
                        .12	Feral Slash	24.6	46.7	48.4	44.1	163.810	7

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          I need to do a cruise or AI someday, but I much prefer exploring rather than sitting around and relaxing. We always come home worn out and needing a vacation because we never stop moving. I get restless after about 20 minutes of sitting around it seems. Although sitting around a pool with a cold drink sounds pretty nice about right now.
                          I'm pretty much the same way. If I hadn't just done the Bonaire diving trip, this would be driving me crazy. But RJEL girl likes this sort of thing and she needs a vacation so it's all good. It's a huge plus that there are 4 resorts that are all affiliated and our AI covers all of them. We've tried different pools and different restaurants and beaches and such. We did the whale shark thing the one day, and toured the city and did some tourista shopping yesterday. Scuba diving a day or two would have been great, but oh well. I've just been chilling at the pools and reading the books I downloaded.

As for the AI, I don't know if it has paid for itself, we aren't huge drinkers or anything, but there's value in not having to think about if you want another drink, or if you really need that extra salad or soup that sounds good, or if you really need that mid-afternoon snack. there's no thinking about it, if you want it or it sounds good, you get it. For a guy like me who is always analyzing, "do I really need this?" it's great, and keeps down any conversations between us, as to whether something is too expensive or if we can get it someplace else, or if she feels bad ordering it because she knows I'm a bit more frugal or whatnot.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            I'm pretty much the same way. If I hadn't just done the Bonaire diving trip, this would be driving me crazy. But RJEL girl likes this sort of thing and she needs a vacation so it's all good. It's a huge plus that there are 4 resorts that are all affiliated and our AI covers all of them. We've tried different pools and different restaurants and beaches and such. We did the whale shark thing the one day, and toured the city and did some tourista shopping yesterday. Scuba diving a day or two would have been great, but oh well. I've just been chilling at the pools and reading the books I downloaded.

As for the AI, I don't know if it has paid for itself, we aren't huge drinkers or anything, but there's value in not having to think about if you want another drink, or if you really need that extra salad or soup that sounds good, or if you really need that mid-afternoon snack. there's no thinking about it, if you want it or it sounds good, you get it. For a guy like me who is always analyzing, "do I really need this?" it's great, and keeps down any conversations between us, as to whether something is too expensive or if we can get it someplace else, or if she feels bad ordering it because she knows I'm a bit more frugal or whatnot.
                            that was the nice part - I was paying a hundred $ (for 2 people) a day to get a band just like the hotel people Trust me by about noon with 2 meals and all the drinks we had covered our hundred. All profit after that. Now I don't drink so much have to watch what I eat plus lost the wife it probably isn't worth it except for not having to count how much I spend per day. I work so much that my vacations all tend to be just for relaxing more then doing things - I am saving those for retirement days. This year it was renting a condo on NC beach with 3 daughters - 5 grandkids and EX. plus a trip to Boston at Sisters house (with Pool) My Parents Have gone on about 6 cruises and they love them.

Comment

• Sandberg in the 23rd ... not bad. I was looking at him for my SS a few rounds back ... felt I couldn't afford to delay the decision on him or Herman Long (and risk losing both). I've been too conservative in that regard this draft. I think I needed to gamble more earlier ... and this strat of mine required more research than.

Could be very close between the top 6/7 (maybe only 5/6 points covering them), though I think there are 2 clear favourites.
                              Last edited by johnnya24; 11-29-2015, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                Sandberg in the 23rd ... not bad. I was looking at him for my SS a few rounds back ... felt I couldn't afford to delay the decision on him or Herman Long (and risk losing both). I've been too conservative in that regard this draft. I think I needed to gamble more earlier ... and this strat of mine required more research than I did.

Could be very close between the top 6/7 (maybe only 5/6 points covering them), though I think there are 2 clear favourites.
                                i could had waited on sandberg but he was the only one I knew to take for sure - I know I have no chance as only crap pitchers and 1 more hitter to take. but considering the time I took to look at spreadsheets not to unhappy with my performance. did better in decades this time then last. still dont have a good handle on it

Comment

Working...
                                X