*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hacko View Post
    Should we get this Set up to start at end of the SAeason so we can use 2015 season.

Use the time to recruit a few more. Pogues- Riff - SD....

Set up the draft order - Do some Pre-work.

I am In. For anything - but a decade seem to be the Get back into Swing Progression here.
    I would say so.

How many regular season weeks to go?

Comment

I'll express interest now as long as we're not starting before Oct 6.
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        I would say so.

How many regular season weeks to go?
        Twooooo weeeeeeeks.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Exactly
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I think we should raise the year which designates a hitter as "contemporary." Some of the players affected are not really "contemporary" hitters any longer.

If we raise the bar from 1999 to 2000, the following players get added into the "non-contemp" pool: Boggs, McGee, Chili Davis, Straw, Tony Phillips, Steinbach, Nilsson, ONixon. If we go out to 2001, we add Belle, Will Clark, Gaetti, Guillen, Jefferies, Mike Stanley. 2002 would make Ripken, Baines, Gwynn, O'Neill, Joyner, Canseco, McGwire, EDavis, TFernandez and DWhite more attractive.

Comment

Had to change the title from VD X to VD 10 ... VD X happened like 10 years ago!

... show a bit of f***ing respect for the past please.

Comment

2002 makes mcgwire not contemporary.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  2002 makes mcgwire not contemporary.
                  ....as well as Ripken, Baines, Gwynn, O'Neill, Joyner, Canseco, EDavis, TFernandez and DWhite

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    I liked when we did a "floater", allowing you to pick another hitter or pitcher from a desirable era. So you could grab one additional contemp (or deadball if that's your bag) hitter or one additional deadball pitcher.
                    I can dig this idea.

Comment

We could remove the era designations for QUIZYOVEN and leave more available for good letters

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        We could remove the era designations for QUIZYOVEN and leave more available for good letters
                        That's not a bad idea. I also like the idea of moving that contemporary line forward. We could also consider an earlier line, and if more of the player's career was before that year, he'd be non-contemporary.

The line we drew always seemed so arbitrary, unlike the deadball line.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I
                          Originally posted by revo View Post
                          I think we should raise the year which designates a hitter as "contemporary." Some of the players affected are not really "contemporary" hitters any longer.

If we raise the bar from 1999 to 2000, the following players get added into the "non-contemp" pool: Boggs, McGee, Chili Davis, Straw, Tony Phillips, Steinbach, Nilsson, ONixon. If we go out to 2001, we add Belle, Will Clark, Gaetti, Guillen, Jefferies, Mike Stanley. 2002 would make Ripken, Baines, Gwynn, O'Neill, Joyner, Canseco, McGwire, EDavis, TFernandez and DWhite more attractive.
                          But wouldn't that go against why you made them contemp players in the first place? Weren't you trying to limit the steroid user players? In reality shouldn't we make a roid period (like the deadball era) say 1995 to 2005 ( or whatever) to put people like Bonds,Sosa Clemons ... In one big bucket. The players who are coming out now and supposedly no long roid user should be treated as normal more then those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                            I

But wouldn't that go against why you made them contemp players in the first place? Weren't you trying to limit the steroid user players? In reality shouldn't we make a roid period (like the deadball era) say 1995 to 2005 ( or whatever) to put people like Bonds,Sosa Clemons ... In one big bucket. The players who are coming out now and supposedly no long roid user should be treated as normal more then those guys.
                            That's a good point I suppose ... then again, I'm guessing there has always been cheating in the game,, so singling out one era could also be seen as unfair. Cheating has been endemic in cycling for decades, in fact since the start of competitive cycling. They used to openly take all sorts of amphetamines and stuff, but it's only the last generation that got vilified.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 09-21-2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              That's a good point I suppose ... then again, I'm guessing there has always been cheating the game,, so singling out one era could also be seen as unfair. Cheating has been endemic in cycling for decades, in fact since the start of competitive cycling. They used to openly take all sorts of amphetamines and stuff, but it's only the last generation that got vilified.
                              I can live with any rule- I just thought that was why you marked them as contemp to limit how many of them you could pick over players like Mays , Aaron, joe D ,Teddy ballgame. Players who didn't get the use of Modern Meds to Aid them.

Comment

wait, are we doing letters or decades next?

Comment

Working...
                                X