Firing a Popular Employee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOLY CRAP! A Mith sighting!
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Who's Mith?

Comment

So I have to start looking for another job?
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          So I have to start looking for another job?
          We liked you, but you simply haven't gotten the job done over the years.

:shrug:
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            We liked you, but you simply haven't gotten the job done over the years.

:shrug:
            just like the Padres
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              just like the Padres
              E tu brute...........
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                just like the Padres
                Ouch, dude!

If the guy hasn't been preforming over the years, it's almost a given that the other employees know it and have possibly had to pick up his slack. They'll be fine. A simple "so and so isn't here any more. It was a difficult decision but one that we had to make." You don't need to give details and, if anyone asks, just tell them that you are respecting his privacy as you would do for you or anyone else. Make sure to avoid saying anything remotely slanderous as employers often get themselves into trouble by trying to be nice but actually saying the wrong thing. Employee B tells employee A and a game of telephone has ensued which could wind up with you having to defend it in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Who's Mith?

Chris Mith

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Sports bar brethren - I find myself in an un-envious position of having to let a staff member go who has a great personality and is well-liked but simply hasn't gotten the job done over the years. Has anyone dealt with a situation like this and have any feedback on how to handle it and the potential backlash from the rest of the company? I work in college athletics and our Athletics Director is on board with it as is our Sr. Administration so I at least have their back but the rest of the department is likely going to be caught off guard.
                    Just tell him not to spend so much time on RJ.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      I didn't know he was real... I thought that dude was just a... Myth.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        I didn't know he was real... I thought that dude was just a... Myth.
                        just like cheap copies at the library or reputable HVAC installers.....
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback and advice - helpful stuff, especially regarding a team meeting, keeping it simple/brief and an open door policy following it.

To answer a few of the miscellaneous questions throughout:

1) It's not really a re-assignable position. He currently oversees the Grounds Crew Department at our ballpark (grass, dirt, IF/OF, landscaping, etc.). It's not really skills that he could transition into an office role (nor do I think he'd really want to).
                          2) Can he be trained up or skills developed? We've tried but he hasn't shown the leadership and philosophy needed to invest more money into at this point. He also hasn't shown the initiative to want to be trained or acquire skills (i.e ask about training, conferences, seminars, etc.).
                          3) Performance Review - we gave him one last June/July with a list of areas to improve upon and made it clear that he was fighting for his job throughout the offseason and season (which ended in mid-May for us). He has improved in some smaller areas (i.e. responding to emails more frequently) but is still lacking in the leadership, initiative and pure quality of work (i.e. the field itself compared to other local colleges is sub-par, enough so that our Coach is in my ear on a regular basis. Grass isn't even, poorly maintained edges, infield clay build-up, etc.)

Someone asked if I was an AD - I'm not. I oversee day-to-day operations of our ballpark and basketball arena as well as event management for various sports and 3rd party events.

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

best of luck.

I agree most with the key insight that most people know who isn't pulling their weight, so when the ax falls it's usually not a major issue. Maybe one close pal that takes it hard. But I can't picture a mutiny from losing a scuffler - especially if the new kid makes it obvious what the standard should be.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

People may talk about it for a few days, but they move on. I've seen it a number of times.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                                You usually get one of three things, with the most common being okay outcomes. 1) He already knew he wasn't cutting it, and just quietly quit. 2) He will go on a self-improvement campain and become the employee you need. 3) He can be the biggest POS in the world between then and the time you actually fire him.
                                The one time I had to do this, the guy started looking for other jobs and quit a few months later when he found one.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X