No announcement yet.

Return of the Travel thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year's Griswold vacation is taking us to Kure Beach at the end of next month.

Has anyone ever been there?

Just wondering...thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Might be heading to Knoxville TN for a couple days. Anyone ever been there with any suggestions? They don't seem to have a signature food and I am not sure they have a signature tourist attraction either. I'm baffled.
      isn't most of TN pretty known for BBQ? i haven't been to knoxville, but been to memphis a couple of times, and it seemed like there were a lot of BBQ places around...
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
        isn't most of TN pretty known for BBQ? i haven't been to knoxville, but been to memphis a couple of times, and it seemed like there were a lot of BBQ places around...
        Probably. I am less worried about finding good food, if their signature food is just BBQ then all the better

When I was in Louisville I had a Hot Brown sandwich, which is their local thing. Holy crap was that thing amazing. I don't think Knoxville has a similar thing. Just bourbon and BBQ like the rest of the TN/KY region I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
          This year's Griswold vacation is taking us to Kure Beach at the end of next month.

Has anyone ever been there?

Just wondering...thanks!
          I assume Kure beach is populated by a bunch of mopey Goths?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            Mexico City's International Terminal reminds me of Chicago Midway

You don't have to take off your shoes going through Mexican security, no body scans or anything like that either...
            Yeah, but you gotta sit between a chicken and a llama

Comment

I'll be in Orlando for the big HR shindig in a couple of week. Jason - I know you're moving, but will you be around the week of June 21-24?

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                Yeah, but you gotta sit between a chicken and a llama
                Friar, a chicken, and a llama walk into a bar....

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Probably. I am less worried about finding good food, if their signature food is just BBQ then all the better

When I was in Louisville I had a Hot Brown sandwich, which is their local thing. Holy crap was that thing amazing. I don't think Knoxville has a similar thing. Just bourbon and BBQ like the rest of the TN/KY region I guess.

Memphis is BBQ heaven. Knoxvegas, hit or miss for the bbq, Dead End is your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by SMELL THE GLOVE View Post
                    Memphis is BBQ heaven. Knoxvegas, hit or miss for the bbq, Dead End is your best bet.
                    I went to some awesome dry-rub rib place in Memphis, but I can't remember the name....
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I went to some awesome dry-rub rib place in Memphis, but I can't remember the name....
                      Rendezvous?

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                        I'll be in Orlando for the big HR shindig in a couple of week. Jason - I know you're moving, but will you be around the week of June 21-24?
                        Yea, I should be

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Rendezvous?
                          Bingo
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

we're renting a beach house in Maine this summer for a week. not really looking for anything to do, other than loading up on fresh seafood & wine.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Since I was asking for help I guess I'll post some things too.

Kansas City
                              Oklahoma Joes is worth the hour plus wait. The hype is legit.

Burnt Ends is a solid substitute if you can't get there.

Kauffman Stadium would be a great family outing. They have mini golf and merry go rounds and a miniature field your kids can play on.

Boulevard is a local KC brewery and it is outstanding. If you can somehow get your hands on The Sixth Glass... wow.

MCI airport, at least terminal 3/ United, is awful. It's like some terminals in Newark where you go through security and then there's nothing, no food, not many places to sit, hell, not even very many bathrooms. Luckily there are some ok food options before you go through security and the lines are short to in and out a few times. Oh and the wifi is basically non functional.

Louisville
                              The Louisville Slugger Museum is basically a tour of the bat factory and a few exhibits. Worth it. Will probably only take you 2 hours. They have an indoor batting cage where you can hit with replica bats of famous players.

Their signature food is the Hot Brown sandwich. Turkey, bacon, cheese sauce, toast. I can't even explain it. Just go to the Brown Hotel and eat one. Holy shit. http://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown.htm

Comment

Bingo
                                Yea, that place was awesome. I'm looking forward to discovering new BBQ place in the Carolinas once we move up there. Orlando has 4Rivers and then a big drop off to the next best thing in the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X