No announcement yet.

2015 Closers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm deep in my OF (Trout, Brantley, Braun, Dickerson, L.Martin, Pollock, M.Taylor) and could use another speculative closer. Would you drop Michael Taylor for:

Otto
    Parnell
    Marshall
    J.Smith (Street scares me this year)

?
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Comment

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
      I'm deep in my OF (Trout, Brantley, Braun, Dickerson, L.Martin, Pollock, M.Taylor) and could use another speculative closer. Would you drop Michael Taylor for:

Otto
      Parnell
      Marshall
      J.Smith (Street scares me this year)

?
      If you're playing roto, I think Joe Smith is a natural target to get 5-10 saves this year. Would I absolutely count on those saves? No. But I think there's a 70% chance he at least gets 5+ saves because of Street being injury prone. The problem with speculative saves (at least for me) is that I usually give up on the guys before they get the gig, so you'll have to remain steadfast if you pick up a guy like Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
        If you're playing roto, I think Joe Smith is a natural target to get 5-10 saves this year. Would I absolutely count on those saves? No. But I think there's a 70% chance he at least gets 5+ saves because of Street being injury prone. The problem with speculative saves (at least for me) is that I usually give up on the guys before they get the gig, so you'll have to remain steadfast if you pick up a guy like Smith.
        Agree. And while I could use a spec closer (I'm deep in the bullpen but I'm a hoarder , I'd also hate to give up on Taylor before he has a chance to show his stuff in April with Span/Werth banged up. If he starts hot I can always trade him for another bullpen arm if I need a guy like Smith.
        12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
        1B-Cron
        2B- Villar
        SS- Andrus
        3B-Baez
        MI-L. Gurriel
        CI- Y.Gurriel
        OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
        UTIL- Benintendi
        BENCH: Pence, Dyson
        SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
        RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
        IL: Buxton

Comment

ottavino is not even the primary setup guy in Col. weiss announced today that boone logan will be that guy.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I came across this today looking for depth charts. Looks promising. I signed up for email alerts.

http://closermonkey.com/
            Last edited by virgonomic; 04-07-2015, 08:21 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              I came across this today looking for depth charts. Looks promising. I signed up for text alerts.

oooh, me likey. thanks!
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                I came across this today looking for depth charts. Looks promising. I signed up for text alerts.

Thank you! Looks terrific, hope he keeps it up.

Comment

Joe Nathan hit the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow flexor strain, Dave Dombrowski said.

Joakim Soria will close in the meantime. Asked if Nathan will get the job back when healthy, Brad Ausmus said, "That's the plan."

Comment

funny...didn't know batting tees had flexor tendons

Comment

How would you rank these "closers of the week":

Soria - on the team with likely the most save chances but could be out of the closer role in 2 weeks if Nathan comes back healthy. Or could hold on all season because it's Joe Nathan.

Grili - on the team with likely the least save chances. But is the "official" closer and could have the role all year unless hurt/injured/crappy play.

J. Familia - maybe the best stuff of the three but is it just a temporary gig for him?

Comment

Soria, because I'm not a believer in Nathan at all and the Tigers don't suck
                        Grilli
                        -----
                        Familia

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          How would you rank these "closers of the week":

Soria - on the team with likely the most save chances but could be out of the closer role in 2 weeks if Nathan comes back healthy. Or could hold on all season because it's Joe Nathan.

Grili - on the team with likely the least save chances. But is the "official" closer and could have the role all year unless hurt/injured/crappy play.
                          There are many articles on the web discussing that good teams don't necessarily have the most saves chances, and vice versa. Or at least the correlation is slight. Here's one. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=8765

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Soria, because I'm not a believer in Nathan at all and the Tigers don't suck
                            Grilli
                            -----
                            Familia
                            JC - You think Grilli will keep the job the whole year?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                              There are many articles on the web discussing that good teams don't necessarily have the most saves chances, and vice versa. Or at least the correlation is slight. Here's one. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=8765
                              That's a good point - it's more perception than anything but even the guys on bad teams can still end up with 20-30 saves a year.

Comment

Unless Grilli gets hurt, I think he keeps the job.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X