*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverado

Dennehy won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Miniseries or Television Film for his role as Willy Loman in the television film Death of a Salesman (2000)- loved that one. I had a chance to see him do this in person in Chicago. Something came up and I missed it. One of my theater regrets.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Cocoon?
      He certainly did a lot of stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I just didn't remember him in Tommy Boy, and forgot he was in Rambo--lol
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          I just didn't remember him in Tommy Boy, and forgot he was in Rambo--lol
          That is because you were 4 when it came out.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            I just checked his IMDB page - in 1977, his first year as a credited actor, he appeared in 14 different things, including Serpico, Kojak, and MASH. Nice rookie season.

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• While I didn't know of Hal Willner until his death, I was blown away by this amazing tribute by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan.

Comment

• Also enjoyed all your comments on John Prine and loved the live version post of Lake Marie, Thank you. I have been listening to live September 78 a lot since his death and of course his latest Tree of Forgiveness. One of the finest songwriters and a gentle soul. I hope he's smoking that 9 mile long cigarette.
                Lyric video for "When I Get to Heaven" off of 'The Tree of Forgiveness'Tree of Forgiveness available here: https://found.ee/uuFMSOFOLLOW JOHN:Website: https:...

Comment

• Former NFL linebacker Mike Curtis died on 4/20. He won a Super bowl (1971), made 4 pro bowls and was team captain for most of his 11 years w the Baltimore Colts. He was 77.
                  Last edited by rhd; 04-26-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• Prominent jazz saxophonist Lee Konitz died in NYC on April 15, 2020, as a result of pneumonia brought on by COVID-19. He was one of the early disciples of the "cool" school of jazz and was on Miles Davis' famous album "The Birth of the Cool". I was fortunate to have seen him several times and once spoke w him briefly. He was 92. Thanx for all the great music and RIP.
                    Last edited by rhd; 04-26-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• Steve Dalkowski, the minor league pitcher that Nuke LaLoosh of the movie "Bull Durham" was based on, died of CV-19 in New Britain, Connecticut on April 19 at the age of 80. He was in the Orioles' system for most of his career. He was regarded by many as the hardest-throwing pitcher that ever lived and was estimated to have thrown at least as fast as 110 mph. He struck out a ton of batters but also was very wild and walked a ton also. In ST in 1963, he was going to be called up to MLB but never actually was because of an injury. He had an acute drinking problem and spent his last 26 yrs in an assisted living facility. I actually thought he had died a long time ago. His story is both amazing and amusing and FanGraphs has a story on his life and career today: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/remember...-pitcher-ever/

Comment

• Sweet Pea Atkinson, lead singer of Was (Not Was), died at age 74. Although they're best known for 1988’s "Walk the Dinosaur" and largely considered a one-hit wonder, I think their version of Otis Redding's "I Can't Turn You Loose" is their best recording:

Comment

• Florian Schneider, one of the founders of Kraftwerk, passed away from cancer. While I wasn't a huge fan, they're influence on musicians and groups in age/style from Bowie to Joy Division is amazing.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/...der-dies-at-73
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Roy Horn, one half of the Vegas tiger show duo Siegfried & Roy, died at age 75 from coronavirus. RIP

Comment

• Brian Howe, the lead singer for Bad Company from 1986-1994, died from a heart attack at age 66. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 05-09-2020, 07:50 AM.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• One of the founding fathers of rock n'roll, Little Richard, has died at age 87. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X