No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arte Johnson, best known for his time on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In ("Verrrrryy interesting......but schtoopid!") died at age 90. RIP.

Comment

• Ross Perot, the billionaire who launched a credible 3rd party bid for the White House in both 1992 & 1996, died at age 89. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Ross Perot, the billionaire who launched a credible 3rd party bid for the White House in both 1992 & 1996, died at age 89. RIP.
        RIP. My personal favorite Presidential candidate. Most of what he predicted during the 1992 campaign wound up coming true and if he had been just 10% less crazy, he might have won. Taking a hiatus 6 months before the election and then trying to get back in was truly bizarre.

Comment

• Perot got an amazing 19 pct of the vote in 1992.

In Maine, it went Clinton 38.8, Perot 30.44, Bush 30.39.

even while being excluded from the 1996 debates, he got 8 pct of the national vote.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Y'all must not have daughters. I was shocked when I heard that my 10-year-old daughter's celebrity crush, Disney TV star Cameron Boyce (from The Descendants TV movies and Jessie) died over the weekend at age 20 from a seizure related to a medical condition. My daughter's away at camp, so I don't know whether they got that news there or if I'll have to break it to her next Saturday when I visit her.

Comment

• “I speak fluent bullshit.”
              RIP to one of the greats, Rip Torn.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                Y'all must not have daughters. I was shocked when I heard that my 10-year-old daughter's celebrity crush, Disney TV star Cameron Boyce (from The Descendants TV movies and Jessie) died over the weekend at age 20 from a seizure related to a medical condition. My daughter's away at camp, so I don't know whether they got that news there or if I'll have to break it to her next Saturday when I visit her.
                I wasn't familiar with him, but what terrible news.

This is the kind of thing that is too terrible to contemplate for parents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post

“I speak fluent bullshit.”
                  RIP to one of the greats, Rip Torn.
                  Loved his work. I was surprised to see he was 88.

Comment

• Good article summing up Perot in 1992:
                    Major Garrett re-examines Perot's 1992 presidential campaign, when, against odds almost unfathomable now, he qualified on ballots in all 50 states as an independent candidate

Comment

• I loved Rip Torn as the lawyer for Albert Brooks in the after world in Defending Your Life. Meryl Streep as the love interest... brilliant film.

Also, definitely a good excuse to rewatch Freddy Got Fingered. Apparently my wife was an extra in the airport finale scene in the crowd. She was 17 years old, skipping school.

R.I.P Rip Torn
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• can't find it online, but there's a story out there about Burt Reynolds and Rip Torn as struggling actors.

Reynolds of course is the more confident, if less talented, one. he talks Torn into going to an audition with him.
                        Torn kills, but walks out. Burt gets him to come back, but Torn will only take the part if Burt gets one, too. pretty ballsy.

it's a deal - and the rest is history, for both.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• RIP Rutger Hauer.

Actor known for Blade Runner.

He was in Ladyhawke, which was a favorite of my college freinds. We must have watched that movie at least a dozen times. It wasn't great, but it was "cult" hit for us.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                            RIP Rutger Hauer.

Actor known for Blade Runner.

He was in Ladyhawke, which was a favorite of my college freinds. We must have watched that movie at least a dozen times. It wasn't great, but it was "cult" hit for us.
                            “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Wrestling legend Harley Race died at age 76. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Wrestling legend Harley Race died at age 76. RIP.
                                Saw him against Dusty Rhodes in Tulsa, OK many, many years ago. Harley was an awesome pro wrestler. And from what I read on the Internet, someone you didn't want to mess with.
                                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X