No announcement yet.

*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Murray, the coal magnate and climate change denier who fought against coal mine safety regs and famously got into a fight with John Oliver, died at age 80.

Comment

• Sean Connery reported passed away in his sleep last night.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Sean Connery reported passed away in his sleep last night.
        Best known as the original James Bond, my favorite role of his was when he played Indiana Jones' father, in 1989's "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". His last appearance in a movie was in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" in 2003. Sean Connery was 90 years old. RIP.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
          Best known as the original James Bond, my favorite role of his was when he played Indiana Jones' father, in 1989's "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". His last appearance in a movie was in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" in 2003. Sean Connery was 90 years old. RIP.
          Amazing to me that after so many years and chances, I don't think he ever expressed regret or recanted his stance on slapping around mouthy women. He was a heck of an actor--he had the look and the voice--but he was lucky his career happened before society got woke, as that Playboy interview and/or the Walters interview 20+ years later, or his first wife's allegations of physical and mental abuse would have ended him today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Amazing to me that after so many years and chances, I don't think he ever expressed regret or recanted his stance on slapping around mouthy women. He was a heck of an actor--he had the look and the voice--but he was lucky his career happened before society got woke, as that Playboy interview and/or the Walters interview 20+ years later, or his first wife's allegations of physical and mental abuse would have ended him today.
            OTOH one would hope that if he was raised 20+ years later he might have a slightly different perspective on how to treat women. Maybe not, but maybe.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              OTOH one would hope that if he was raised 20+ years later he might have a slightly different perspective on how to treat women. Maybe not, but maybe.
              True. But he did have an opportunity to evolve with the times. Many older gents who said and did horrible things back when it was more accepted recanted in time. Eric Clapton's strongly expressed xenophobia and racism comes to mind. Since his rants in the 70s, he has backtracked and apologized (though some think the backtrack was disingenuous tripe and not enough, but at least it was something). Connery stayed true to his beliefs that bitches be crazy and deserve a good slap once in awhile.

Comment

True. But he did have an opportunity to evolve with the times. Many older gents who said and did horrible things back when it was more accepted recanted in time. Eric Clapton's strongly expressed xenophobia and racism comes to mind. Since his rants in the 70s, he has backtracked and apologized (though some think the backtrack was disingenuous tripe and not enough, but at least it was something). Connery stayed true to his beliefs that bitches be crazy and deserve a good slap once in awhile.
                In 2006 Sean Connery recanted and said that it was wrong to hit a woman after telling Playboy in 1965 that a slap was ok and trying to explain to Barbara Walters in 1987 that a slap should only be used as a last resort.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

In 2006 Sean Connery recanted and said that it was wrong to hit a woman after telling Playboy in 1965 that a slap was ok and trying to explain to Barbara Walters in 1987 that a slap should only be used as a last resort.
                  Yeah, that statement was released in light of allegations from his ex that he abused her. What he said was that he did not abuse his ex and that abuse was wrong, but he did not deny hitting her and he previously distinguished between slapping a woman who deserves it and abuse. So, yeah, given the context and the wording, I don't count that as recounting his previous position.

Comment

Yeah, that statement was release in light of allegations from his ex that he hit her. The term he used was abuse, which is fuzzy, since previously he distinguished between slapping a woman who deserves it and abuse. So, yeah, given the context and the wording, I don't count that.
                    Yeah, it was weak and too late. But, never say never again.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, it was weak and too late. But, never say never again.
                      I feel like there is another Bond joke here, but I'm drawing a blank. In any event, dude was a great actor. He could have been Gandolf but said he did not understand the role.

Comment

He could have been Gandolf but said he did not understand the role.
                        Well in his defense, there was Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White and as we all know--There can be only One.
                        Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 11-01-2020, 08:04 PM.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Len Barry, who had a hit with 1965’s “1-2-3”, died at age 78. RIP.

Comment

• Borscht Belt comedian Norm Crosby died at age 93.

Comment

• Terrible news - Alex Trebek died at age 80 from pancreatic cancer.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Terrible news - Alex Trebek died at age 80 from pancreatic cancer.
                                Wow. He was an American icon. I wonder who will take over the show for him? RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X